Mice

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Tommy

Mice

Post by Tommy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:27 pm

The time has come, after roughly a decade, to replace my mouse.

I love this fucking mouse. It's lasted through 3 computers, it's been to University with me, twice. I spent 90 minutes meticulously cleaning it during a particularly boring meeting the other day. I will use this mouse during my final accountancy exam (I also used it during my GCSE revision).

But, nothing lasts forever and I've accepted it's too old - I can't even find a suitable photo to show it off (Novatech G2, there's 1 blurry pixelated photo on their website).

With this in mind, can anybody recommend a wired mouse? Comfort is basically the only metric (I have small hands). Do mice these days even have anything more interesting than a few extra buttons? It's a new world for me. I think this might be a love letter to the mouse more than anything else. I'm grieving.

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Mice

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 pm

I've used a Logitech G502 for quite a long time now. It has a fair few reassignable buttons, decent software that you can make DPI profiles and macro profiles for and is comfy in the hand. Being able to lock the scroll wheel so it resists or unlock it to just spin it is a nice addition as it makes scrolling through large documents a lot less of a pain.

I'd probably buy it again if it broke, but then I don't need the really next level gaming mice or anything like that.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:00 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:51 pm
I've used a Logitech G502 for quite a long time now. It has a fair few reassignable buttons, decent software that you can make DPI profiles and macro profiles for and is comfy in the hand. Being able to lock the scroll wheel so it resists or unlock it to just spin it is a nice addition as it makes scrolling through large documents a lot less of a pain.

I'd probably buy it again if it broke, but then I don't need the really next level gaming mice or anything like that.
I have no idea how you will do this, but can you describe that?

I use my mouse for gaming and for work (and I have another work that I have in my other flat, just so happens it was cheapish. It's okay, bit too claw like for the grip). Scrolling is part and parcel of work though so if it is easy that's a plus - My current scroller lost the ability to scroll with precision ages ago. Does it freewheel on a scroll?

I honestly can't imagine what assignable buttons would be useful for to the point they'd be productive.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 pm

There’s a button just below the scroll wheel which you can click in to swap modes. When it’s resisting you can feel the wheel clicking every time you scroll, give it a firm swipe and it wont go very far, like your classic basic mouse wheel essentially. When it’s released you can spin it as fast as you like with very little inertia, so one big swipe and you can just let it go, which is very handy for scrolling through enormous documents or web pages.

I’m not sure that I have described that very well. 8-[

The buttons are very handy. I have them assigned to move forward and back in my browsers and another set cycles to next or previous song on Spotify. Another one I use to pause and unpause whatever media is currently on screen, or it defaults to Spotify if I haven’t got anything maximised that it can apply to.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:17 am

Second the G502, it is a fantastic mouse, you have 5 removable weights in the base too, although I have all of them in there.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:34 am

Budget?

I'd step up one and go for a G900 (maybe out of service now) or the G903. Both are wireless but can be used wired whilst charging. My old G900 needs charging more often but still goes a week being used on my work macbook. My newer G903 is mainly for gaming and being wireless is awesome.
-- To be completed at some point --

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:35 am

I think the 900 series is identical to the 502 in every way except the shape.

Thirded on the 502. Though I do use the 602 for some things but if you dont know what youd do with the buttons on the 502 you'll not need the 602 ;)

Pure comfort though I might suggest getting a feel of the MX Master range if you have a PC World nearby. Ive not used one but they look a lot like the MX1100r which is my favorite feeling mouse ever. I never understood why they dont stick one of those base thumb buttons in their gamer range (the bottom of the thumb rest is a hidden button). That said, second scroll wheel might be useless to you.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:36 am

I've got the G903 which is much the same and excellent. Love it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:38 am

No no no, wireless mice are unnecessary. Tommy, buy a wired G502 and never look back. The single most comfortable mouse ever made in my opinion, I have two on my desk right now, one connected to my work laptop the other to my gaming PC. Pefect comfort, a little set of weights inside that you can adjust to make it as hefty or floaty as you like movement-wise, everything is just spot on.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:39 am

Wired mice are unnecessary these days ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:59 am

Indeed, wireless tech has now evolved to the point where it's basically as good as a wired connection from what I've read. I'm fairly sure that when I eventually replace my G502 I'll go back to wireless. It's just a shame that the better wireless versions are so much more expensive. The Lightspeed version of the G502 carries a 120% price increase over the wired one.

If I'm being perfectly honest I don't think I've ever actually noticed input lag from a wireless connection, at least not on a PC. I'm sure it's there, but I question whether it really makes much difference unless you're playing competitive Counterstrike or Starcraft where they measure player performance in clicks per minute.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:43 am

I've had a Razer Mamba wireless for a year now and it's superb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Perfect weight, very responsive and accurate, good battery life, very comfortable and it's not riddled with unnecessary buttons. I had a Logitech G402 before this and I was constantly hitting the DPS buttons by accident, which was a real nuisance.

If something happened to the Mamba, I'd buy another one straight away.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Oh I am not suggesting that I am so 1337 that I have a wired mouse to avoid input lag, fuck me those reactions (if I ever had them) died years ago :lol:

No - more that I never notice the fact that my mouse is wired and never have to charge it.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:16 pm

Likewise, I've always used a wired one simply because I have enough wireless devices which require frequent charging in my life that I cannot be bothered to add any further.
Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:43 am
I had a Logitech G402 before this and I was constantly hitting the DPS buttons by accident, which was a real nuisance.
I never find myself needing different DPI settings so I got around that issue by setting it to only have a single profile at my preferred speed. I sometimes hit the button by accident too but it doesn't actually do anything now.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:16 pm
Likewise, I've always used a wired one simply because I have enough wireless devices which require frequent charging in my life that I cannot be bothered to add any further.
Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:43 am
I had a Logitech G402 before this and I was constantly hitting the DPS buttons by accident, which was a real nuisance.
I never find myself needing different DPI settings so I got around that issue by setting it to only have a single profile at my preferred speed. I sometimes hit the button by accident too but it doesn't actually do anything now.
I use one speed to browse internet etc. and one for CS:GO. So having said I don't understand the need for other buttons, I clearly do.

Seems to be a clear winner here by the way.