The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Rossell

Re: The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by Rossell » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:50 am

The PS5 has just started doing that and happily my five year old TV is picking it up and the novelty still hasn't worn off yet.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:53 pm

I thought that was just me with the Xbox fucking around with the TV settings, explains it now. The PS4 just works without any issues. I suppose Sony do make TV's so know what they're doing.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:06 pm

I just think it's kinda funny when Microsoft spent so long demonstrating the XBox One's TV integration during their reveal conference that it doesn't have basic TV control capabilities. Was it something you needed their silly Kinect sensor for?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:53 am

Surely it’s because you’d never need to change the input, what with the Xbox being your single entertainment hub through which all things flow.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:34 am

Hey dont besmirch the Kinect! If they werent such cowards they would let us connect one to the Series consoles to play Dance Central! Believe in backwards compatibility my arse! [-(

It sucks that MS has so much video codec support with almost no CEC and conversly Sony has lackluster codec support with full CEC. You just cant win!

Also back to bitching about my new telly because you cant just enjoy things these days...... I think this set debut around 1500quid and they have a fucking MS style ad tile running in the smart UI. Ive tried blacklisting the ad servers but it still sneaks through. Ok its about maybe an inch and a half square and if it was just an empty box it wouldn't annoy me but its a bloody ad on an expensive telly ffs!

I mean.... other that that its still pretty good :p
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:18 am

So it plays/displays ads while your browsing the menus? I'd be fucking livid if that happened!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:02 pm

You bought a Samsung and are surprised there are forced ads? They're well known for being a shitty sleazy company, I'd expect nothing less.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:19 am

I wanted to get a sony x89j because it's the smallest size TV out there that gives you hdmi 2.1/120hz refresh rate which will become quite a thing over the next few years I think.

Also being tempted by the LG cx 48 if I can get it to fit my room. But I'm worried on the OLED front because burn in is still quite the issue. I think Samsung have a specific policy on it. Anybody got any experience with this?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 am

What even is a decent telly to buy nowadays? It looks like you can't get much that's actually good quality and will last for much less than over a grand, and even then there's a lot of issues between different brands and models.

My £500 entry level Philips 4k 55" TV was alright for the most part. The HDR wasn't too impressive or anything like that, but the back-light ambient lighting was a nice touch. After 4 years though, one of the LED light diffuser caps inside the screen has fallen off and now there's a bright white spot on the screen all the time where the light is shining straight through. Next time I'm going all out on an expensive model but it seems you can't even trust half of them either.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:23 am

I've still got the Sony Bravia we got for £800 about 12 years ago. It does the job (barely).

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:39 am

I spent a long time investigating and I whittled it down to Sony - great screens not great software, Samsung - good screens good software (id counter that good software bit -_-), LG - cracking screens but pricey, Phillips/Sharp - middle of the road but ok for price, Hisence - not great but not as bad as you would think at the price.
Drarok wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:02 pm
You bought a Samsung and are surprised there are forced ads? They're well known for being a shitty sleazy company, I'd expect nothing less.
For the price, 120hz VRR and decent HDR, nothing else was really close. Even with the cost of adding a shield or something. I dont regret it, it annoys me greatly, but I dont regret it.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 pm

LG longevity is a huge issue regardless of how good their actual screens are to look at. We were lucky to get a 5 year warranty from John Lewis with our 60 inch TV we got from them 3 years ago.

In that time we've had the entire processing units replaced twice, and the screen replaced twice. It's like Trigger's broom.

First one failed within 3 months, the 2nd one after 2 years. Plus the remote control detection/sensor thingy packed in after 12 months.

There's quality to look at, and then there's build quality. LG are terrible at the latter.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:37 pm

Maturin wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 pm
LG longevity is a huge issue regardless of how good their actual screens are to look at.
I'll second that. My previous TV was a good quality LG model, looked great, and then 5 years later something blew and it was curtains.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:10 pm

I'm thinking off the back of this to go for the Sony. I only need the software for iplayer because the PS5 doesn't have an app yet and the rest is volume and power.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:22 pm

I had a Sony TV a while ago and it was fantastic, but the general interface was a bit of a buggy mess. I use built in apps for things like Netflix and Prime rather than running them through my consoles, and I found that the Sony TV Netflix app was really unreliable and crashed a lot. My Phillips one has been far more reliable for the apps, just a shame about the build quality of the screen.

I had an LG TV years ago, only a small one, and its power unit blew within a year of having it. Absolute pain in the arse to get it fixed too. But then conversely I've had an LG IPS monitor for my PC for a decade now and it still works flawlessly and I'm loathe to upgrade from it.