The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:05 am

So I'm pretty sure what I thought was a foot injury I acquired during the Shingles episode is actually Gout. All I need now is to lose three fingers in a spinning jenny and my transformation into an eighteenth century mill worker will be complete.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:21 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:05 am
So I'm pretty sure what I thought was a foot injury I acquired during the Shingles episode is actually Gout. All I need now is to lose three fingers in a spinning jenny and my transformation into an eighteenth century mill worker will be complete.
Don't forget the rickets!

Seriously, though, gout is nasty, hope you're feeling better soon.

Although, throwing this out here also, there's a post-coronavirus symptom called 'Covid-toe', which my youngest had last year - it presents as an extremely sore, red and inflamed toe, which makes it similar to gout, but may not actually be that. Could be worth a visit to the docs to confirm.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:45 am

Rickets would have made a better joke.

I think I've worked out what's caused it. I've been drinking Huel for about a year now, and due to not being able to make it to a supermarket during the Shingles episode, I consumed more of it than usual. Huel contains a fair amount of purine which breaks down into uric acid, one of the contributing factors in Gout. It's significant enough that their website actually has a scientific breakdown of all of this.

There's no obvious inflammation of the toe area, and I first got symptoms when I was housebound and very unlikely to contract covid, so I don't think it's that, but it's a fair shout.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:49 pm

As a fellow gouty (although I’ve not had an attack in 2 years), ibuprofen, lots of water and rest are the key.

I’m having a bastard of a time with my knee. A few years ago I was diagnosed with a sliding kneecap which the doctor described as a partial dislocation - in short, I was unable to bend my knee without excruciating pain until anti inflammatory drugs and exercises sorted it out over a week. Well, it’s happened again. Ibuprofen doesn’t seem to be helping, nor do the exercises, so I’m going to have to somehow get myself to the doc for another diagnosis and prescription. :?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:55 pm

That sounds pretty horrendous.

I've been making a special effort to drink a lot of water today; it's something that I usually find myself easily forgetting about, particularly when I'm at work, so I often feel a little dehydrated. I suspect that's probably a contributing factor to this latest episode.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm

With my arthritis-related flare up a year ago, I was surprised at how much more effective Naproxen was compared to Ibuprofen. They're essentially the same thing (NSAIDS), but Naproxen lasts twice as long in your body - which allows 24 hour anti-inflammatory relief. Ibuprofen only lasts around 4 hours, so overnight the inflammation would get really bad well before I'd even woke up, which meant the mornings were truly horrible before going on Naproxen.

You need a prescription for them though. Also you have to take Omeprazole at the same time to protect your stomach, but that's no biggie.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm

I had gout a few years ago (I'm surprised I didn't twig that the "injury" I had a few weeks ago was the same thing), and was given naproxen for it. Unfortunately it made me quite nauseous, and I was more comfortable with regular ibuprofen.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Naproxen is what I had for my knee last time, so I expect that’s what I’ll have this time.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm
I had gout a few years ago (I'm surprised I didn't twig that the "injury" I had a few weeks ago was the same thing), and was given naproxen for it. Unfortunately it made me quite nauseous, and I was more comfortable with regular ibuprofen.
I was fortunate I guess not to get any nausea at all.

Apparently, some people are able to get past the initial nausea stage while others it affects more badly. But I noticed the same thing with Sulfasalazine - I didn't feel any bad effects but some people have terrible nausea with that too. Pot luck I guess.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:33 am

Doc says it’s dislocated, naproxen, omeprazole and exercises ordered. Fucking kneecaps. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:45 am

IDing yourself during an international pandemic.

I have to provide ID for a bank to close the accounts of my late father. To do this I need one identity and one address verification document. It took my brother 6 weeks to get this done. When he first received the paperwork, I had an address verification document I could use. In the time it took him to get his stuff sorted, mine expired (ie: not dated within the timescale they require) without me realising. There's a long list of documents I can use including bank statements and insurance documents (I don't have anything else because it's all paperless), however I can't use any of them because for some reason they won't allow you to use documents provided by the same bank that my Dad was with. This is thoroughly ludicrous to begin with; I literally have a relationship that the bank can check the details of and they know that the address is correct because they sodding communicate with me themselves at that address.

And the real kicker? I fucking work for this same bank. I'm struggling to identify myself to the people who pay my salary.

I've requested a new copy of my water bill, which may come with the same date (ie: too long ago), and a bank statement for an account that I don't use that I had to send a quid over to in order for a transaction to show, which is one of the requirements.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:33 am
Doc says it’s dislocated, naproxen, omeprazole and exercises ordered. Fucking kneecaps. :lol:
Sounds like we're all sliding down the backside of the mountain, straight into care homes pretty soon. If we all live at the same one we can LAN party every damned day! \:D/
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:21 pm
Naproxen is what I had for my knee last time, so I expect that’s what I’ll have this time.
Make sure you get something like lansoprazole with it, it's notorious for not being kind on the stomach.
I'm on naproxen but luckily I'm on so many other tablets I was on lansoprazole already.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Yep, got omeprazole to contribute to a lovely cocktail of medication.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:42 am

Any TV or film scene where someone has to swear an oath and they slice right across their palm like a madman. If you really feel the need to make a blood oath, which is weird in itself, make a cut somewhere unimportant like the back of your arm. But no, it's always "I pledge my sword to your cause, which I can no longer hold for a couple of weeks..." ](*,)

I had a tiny cut on the back of my knuckle a while back and that was a right nuisance. I can't even imagine how annoying a massive gash across your palm would be as it healed, not least because you stupidly chose to do it to yourself. No wonder all these heroic types are all sullen and brooding - they're in constant, self-inflicted discomfort!