The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.

Alan

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:53 pm

An update on Prime Video

Dear Prime member,

We are writing to you today about an upcoming change to your Prime Video experience. Starting February 5, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time. We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than ad-supported TV channels and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership. We will also offer a new ad-free option for an additional £2.99 per month* that you can sign up for here.

Urgh!

I'm in two minds, on one its kind of crazy good value currently for what you get. If you pay for ad removal it takes it in line with netflix lowest ad free tier and that only gets you 1080p. Granted netflix has the better library but prime is till giving 4k on all memberships plus the other benefits of prime. On the other hand I want everything to stay cheap and never change! I just wonder how limited limited adverts are....

It dosent smart as much as Odeon Limitless creating a new higher level of membership which made my existing membership no longer work on my local cinemas because they have recliner seats! Bastards!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:39 pm

I can’t find confirmation anywhere if it applies to purchased content on Prime too. I’ve got a few TV shows and films on there, and if they think they can tarnish them with adverts then I’m going to go full Karen on them.

EDIT - I've just queried it with Amazon and they say it will only apply to 'free' videos (presumably those included with a Prime membership), not purchased content. I'm still sceptical - I'll believe it when I see it. I got the impression from the chat that it hasn't been given a great deal of consideration.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:12 pm

Nah, they wouldnt add it to stuff you paid for, that would be insane.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:13 pm

I think legally they'd be in a poor spot if they suddenly added adverts to a one-off item that you may have purchased years earlier, and they'd undoubtedly open themselves up to probably millions of pounds worth of refunds. I'd be very surprised if they were added to purchased content, especially given that I don't think they're even part of the Prime proposition (despite being referred to as Prime Video).

I'm in much the same boat as Alan; I still think Prime is absurdly good value compared to Netflix, which I've been teetering on the brink of unsubscribing for for the last 6 months as other than the odd new season of certain TV programmes, I barely use. But adverts in something you're already paying for just feels depressing. Do we know if these are just ads that run at the start of programmes or films, or are they going to interrupt the actual content? The former is undesirable but won't affect me too badly; the latter, if we suddenly get ads in the middle of a film, would be a massive downgrade.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:25 pm

I had the same doubts myself about the paid content. I imagine they could simply say you never bought rights to the item and that if you read your terms of purchase you were simply buying a licence to view it which they retain the right to alter or revoke at any time. I'm sure they'd be fine if they needed to justify slotting ads in after the fact. The backlash they'd face would be pretty significant though, maybe enough to deter them from trying it.

I'm already weighing up cancelling my Prime sub as I cannot abide them putting adverts into the middle of movies, start and end fine but not during. I don't use any of the other services outside of the fast deliveries and I'm trying to heavily reduce my spending on Amazon over time to support other businesses.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:32 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:12 pm
Nah, they wouldnt add it to stuff you paid for, that would be insane.
I agree it would be insane, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Only a few weeks ago, films bought via the Playstation store were going to be removed from users' libraries until they did a last minute U-turn after massive backlash. Like Mantis says, it's only a licence to view content that you're purchasing. Legally it's mostly untested ground as to what content sellers can and can't do with that content. It's one of a few reasons why I only buy physical media now instead of digital copies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:47 pm

My studied opinion on the matter is "Fuck off you bunch of money grubbing cunts". Amazon makes insane amounts of moolah, what possible reason other than abject greed can they have for fucking up one of the main benefits of streaming by adding in adverts that they then expect you to pay to get shot of?

Cunts cunts cunts cunts cunts.

That's my input on the matter.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:13 pm

Might have a flu or bad cold, not sure which. Needless to say I feel peculiar and not enjoying it. Took some paracetamol with codeine and an antihistamine last night before going to bed. Felt all cosy and dopey for about an hour then shit got surreal and I felt like I was hallucinating for a bit. Won't be mixing those drugs again :?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:25 pm

I've had something similar this last week which resulted in some weird fever dreams, including one where I got lost in a castle that had been converted into a gigantic pub, with firepoles to get between floors.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 pm

please do share the recipes. Sounds awesome (hope you all feel better soon)
-- To be completed at some point --

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:30 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:08 pm
please do share the recipes. Sounds awesome (hope you all feel better soon)
:lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am

Jira.

That's it. That's the whole post.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:56 am

I've not used Jira, but until a couple of years ago we had our own in-house software for dev management which was about as bad as I can imagine it could be. Admin is the worst part of development and this thing made dev admin a constant battle to get anything done. We ditched it in favour of DevOps, and though I'm loathe to praise any sort of MS admin software, it's admittedly not bad.

EDIT - Except for the bug where copy-pasting text from DevOps in dark mode means anyone in light mode can't see the text without highlighting it. ](*,)

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:25 am

Drarok wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am
Jira.

That's it. That's the whole post.
110% but in particular, the test sessions, absolute shit and a low bar even for Jira.