The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Medicine Man » Fri May 14, 2021 10:28 am

Some of so called breakfast cereals in the states and even here for that matter are terrifying. 55% sugar would probably count as a diet cereal over there. Isn’t there a ‘cereal’ that’s basically just chocolate biscuits? Cookie crunch or some such. Probably with some kid friendly cartoon dog on the box or something. Hey kids! How do like the sound of daily insulin shots and losing a foot to gangrene? Yaaayy!

I do like the idea of Weetabix, now with added adrenaline. It’s basically just plain weetabix, but they’ve chucked a couple of blueberries in there. Sign me up, I can practically taste the exhilaration.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri May 14, 2021 12:08 pm

Accidentally got the syrup favoured Weetabix once. Christ that made for some unpleasant breakfasts for a week or so :(

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 pm

My mum used to buy my brother and I one of those Kellogg's variety packs when we went on self catered holidays. I have fond memories of getting to try the ones that they'd never usually buy for us (basically all of the sugary ones like Ricicles). I even remember one coming with the short lived Banana Bubbles, the cereal that thinks it's a milkshake.

I'm realising now that I have a remarkable memory for being marketed to as a child.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 pm

I'm an odd duck over here in America. My mom is from Watford, Hertfordshire, so I grew up with lots of British items on my plate. I don't eat cereal at all. I'd prefer beans on toast for breakfast :)

Yah, Raid, it makes me a bit sad honestly to remember how easily we are manipulated into wanting things when we're kids. I get angry about it as well, or at least I did when my kids were much younger. Everything from toys to drinks and food is all shoved into the faces of families - parents don't stand a chance against it all unless they live in a shack in the woods, without tv/internet.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri May 14, 2021 7:05 pm

All these click bait news stories about time travellers from the year 3000 (not much has changed but... ) coming back and saying we're all going to mutate into whales in two decades time. Getting beyond parody now.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 am

I... what now? Haven’t seen anything like that! Are these future people whales themselves? What is their mechanism of time travel? Do they retain vocal and mental faculties in their aquatic form?

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat May 15, 2021 9:29 am

This is the straw that broke my camels back to put it here, last year they've been a dime a dozen:

https://www.ladbible.com/community/vira ... 1-20210329

Hard to tell with the whales though, I imagine it's like Star Trek: The Voyage Home.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 am

Like WB this is literally the first I'm hearing about this :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat May 15, 2021 10:08 am

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat May 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:45 am
True narcissists, borderline personalities, and the like, these are the people that 'cast a spell' on you - it's utterly intentional, and innate, like a spider spinning a web. Hell, I fell for it just six years ago, and at that point I'd been a psychiatric nurse for 20 years! She was BPD and NPD, mixed together in a hot redheaded succubus of a woman.

The love-bombs, yeah, that's a tactic that works for sure. Men are in general so unused to hearing praise for anything at all that we practically stumble over ourselves in the chase, when someone like this comes along. Also the good-in-the-sack part of it - says she'll do "anything for you," etc. Once you're trapped in that web, the screws start turning, to mix metaphors. I could go on and on as far as this subject is concerned. I'd spoken about this ages ago, on the old PW forums, and got some feedback from a few of you with anecdotes of past relationships. I think it's a right of passage for most young men to suffer through at least one BPD or NPD relationship. Many men never escape at all, doomed to a life similar to that of a chained, whipped hound. Glad you're getting untangled from it all.
She came at me something fierce. Compared to what I'd had before, she totally blew me away.

But yeah. As time wore on and she had me in her grasp, holy shit. For a long time I kept arguing back, but eventually gave up because it didn't matter how obviously wanked up her perspective on things was, she just couldn't see any perspective other than her own. Pathological / terrifying. I called her out on it back in 2018/9, and that's where things really took a turn.

Never, ever tell them you've got their number. EVER. Just back away. Very slowly.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat May 15, 2021 2:13 pm

On the bright side, it looks like you got her username in the divorce. :mrgreen:

:D

:)

:-s

:|

Too soon? :(
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat May 15, 2021 4:08 pm

Never :lol:

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Jesus :lol:

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am

I was summoned to the local police station last night.

TL;DR - having been locked out of the marital home for months (zero justification for this) and therefore denied access to my personal items (I've had two pairs of fucking jeans and a few jumpers to wear since early Feb), I LEGALLY - as per my solicitor's advice - instructed a locksmith to change the front door lock. Went in, got my shit, sent her a text and email explaining what had been done, linked to legal articles to illustrate beyond any doubt that I hadn't done a darn thing wrong / asked when she'd be home so I could pass the new key to her.

Suddenly she's sobbing to one of the PCs about what a threat I am, how I'm an unfit parent etc.

... then throws her own fucking self under the bus by showing said PC an email she'd sent earlier that day asking if I could have the girls every night next week.

SUCH THREAT
MANY UNFIT

Thankfully, the PC saw through her bullshit and told me that she'd be amending the report to paint me in a favourable light, as clearly I "Am the victim in this situation", for which I am eternally grateful.

Jesus H Christ.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu May 20, 2021 11:48 am

Correndous Hunt wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:38 am
I was summoned to the local police station last night.

TL;DR - having been locked out of the marital home for months (zero justification for this) and therefore denied access to my personal items (I've had two pairs of fucking jeans and a few jumpers to wear since early Feb), I LEGALLY - as per my solicitor's advice - instructed a locksmith to change the front door lock. Went in, got my shit, sent her a text and email explaining what had been done, linked to legal articles to illustrate beyond any doubt that I hadn't done a darn thing wrong / asked when she'd be home so I could pass the new key to her.

Suddenly she's sobbing to one of the PCs about what a threat I am, how I'm an unfit parent etc.

... then throws her own fucking self under the bus by showing said PC an email she'd sent earlier that day asking if I could have the girls every night next week.

SUCH THREAT
MANY UNFIT

Thankfully, the PC saw through her bullshit and told me that she'd be amending the report to paint me in a favourable light, as clearly I "Am the victim in this situation", for which I am eternally grateful.

Jesus H Christ.
That sounds awful, at least common sense on the side of the police won out.

Nothing I can relate to on a personal level. Closest I came is when I was 18 getting engaged to a girl I'd dated for 6 months or so (it feels like lunacy now, the part above about being bewitched rang horribly true) and when we broke up, largely because her mother was the personification of evil, she'd shout abuse at me in the street, and on more than one occasion told a mutual friend that if she was driving and saw me walking by she'd run me down. Something I could all too easily have seen her doing. Fortunately I was away at university at the time and only home during holidays, and after graduating I moved away and have never been back.

Hardly a day goes by I don't thank my lucky stars for getting the hell out of that while the going was good.