Empire of Sin - Mafia meets XCOM, out Dec 1st

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Empire of Sin - Mafia meets XCOM, out Dec 1st

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:19 pm

I'm not sure if it's the updates Dj mentioned, or simply that the issues that led to a negative reception on release only manifest themselves over time, but just spent quite a fun couple of hours with this. Still not sure I'd have bought it, but happy to continue playing it on Game Pass.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Empire of Sin - Mafia meets XCOM, out Dec 1st

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:00 am

Just finished the campaign. Not going to pretend it hasn't got some issues, but I had a fair bit of fun with that in the end. I enjoyed building up a gang and then systematically taking down the other crime lords in the city and assuming control over their rackets. About halfway through the game I bought the legendary Tommy gun which, combined with some of the perks I'd taken - chiefly the ones that allow you to chain kills and then move after each one - after which I just rofl-stomped my way through the rest. I'd enter a warehouse full of eight or more enemies, and take them all down within my first turn.

The safehouse fights were a bit tougher - there was one in my starting neighbourhood I couldn't beat until I'd gone away and built up my gang and arsenal some more, but again after the above turning point it became something of a breeze.

That said I'd recommend it to others with Game Pass to try out. I didn't notice any bugs or technical issues to speak of.