Loop Hero

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Loop Hero

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:47 pm

As there's a few of us playing, thought I'd create a dedicated thread for discussion :)

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Loop Hero

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:48 pm

Strange, I could have sworn I'd already made one before. :-k

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:11 pm
I haven't managed to take down the first boss yet either. I had a warrior build that was mincing everything right up to loop 15. I stacked as much attack speed and evasion as possible so most things died way before I took any real damage, but it just didn't work in the attrition war against the lich without any meaningful vampirism to top up my health.

I've heard that the Rogue makes quick work of the first world but honestly I don't get his appeal, he seems very dependent on getting the perfect combination of drops and cards. Without being able to stack one particular stat on your gear you have no meaningful way to buff your self heals. There's no real way around the fact that unless you can keep yourself topped up with health, no amount of evasion is going to counter the fact that the longer the loops go on due to more enemies spawning, the more they chip your health away with each circle.
Going to reply to this in here.

Rogue is probably the most OP class. If you've not played it yet, you kind of have to have a go to see for yourself. Rogue doesn't really need to heal, because it's all about bursting enemies down before they can get more than an attack or two in. You also have in-built 5% vampirism that on higher loops can sustain you quite well, which can also be raised through a particular supply item you start to find after unlocking one of the early buildings.

Early on, however, it's also worth building a few chrono-crystals will an L-shape of meadows around them for daily heals (which you can combine with the temporal tower to make those proc 50% more often).

You really notice the damage increase from having two weapons over the warrior's one, while with your gear it's much easier to stack evasion. Having recently restarted (after finishing I was kind of done with that previous campaign), I just beat the lich on loop 5. I wasn't intending to fight him so early, but I started the loop with 66% evasion and 150% chance to crit for 160% damage that felt really good, and was just wrecking enemies, so I decided to see if I could. He missed every attack and I took him down in about 10 hits :shock:

Oh, and there's also a perk you unlock that means you habitually find yellow/orange gear several levels above the loop you're playing on, making you essentially unkillable.

And that's before unlocking forests and rivers, which make the rogue insane. Before facing the final boss in chapter 3 or 4 I was sitting at over 300% attack speed and critting every other hit while dodging 2/3rds of the attacks coming in. The one downside is that you run out of stamina pretty quickly if you can't burst something down in the first few seconds, but even then the only reason I lost to the final boss was one of his random abilities negating all my +hp and then one-shotting me. If it hadn't been for that I'd have beaten him first time as a rogue.

It's a great class. I can guarantee once you start playing as it, it will be a long time before you try playing warrior again.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30 pm

I think I've discovered the benefits of the Rogue. Just had a couple of excellent farming runs where I took the loop to 18 both times and was still one shotting most enemies before they even got an attack off. He's really a loot machine if you get on a roll.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:34 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30 pm
I think I've discovered the benefits of the Rogue. Just had a couple of excellent farming runs where I took the loop to 18 both times and was still one shotting most enemies before they even got an attack off. He's really a loot machine if you get on a roll.
Yeah, a good rogue build is a monster. The picky perk as well is great for ensuring your gear is always several levels ahead of enemies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:14 am

Just had a crazy chapter 2 farming run with rogue.

Deserts, man. I'd totally disregarded them on my first campaign because they have an ostensibly negative effect on you as well as enemies - lowering your hp by 0.5%/1%.

On its own, that doesn't sound like much, but when you stick 60-70 of them on the map, it really adds up. By the time I stopped at loop 32 - and only then because I'd maxed out each resource - I had a total of 250hp, which sounds bad, but the enemies on the map were stuck at around 50-75hp each. By then I was hitting with 125 damage to all, 200% attack speed, 75% evasion (the max). I also, via the arsenal, had a magic amulet with a bonus 700hp, which isn't decreased by the desert tiles.

Basically, I was one-shotting groups of 4 enemies, or 5 if there were vampires. I literally hadn't taken a single point of hp damage in about 20 loops, despite covering the entire road with monster spawning tiles. Thanks to the picky trait, at loop 32 I had level 42 gear and I'm pretty sure I could have gone on indefinitely.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:36 am

Also, I just found out that a couple of the rogue traits are misleadingly written. The one that says you gain +3hp per kill isn't a heal, it's an increase to your max hp... similarly the one that says you gain 1hp for every trophy is a permanent increase to max hp, so it doesn't reset once you hit camp and bank all your trophies.

Those just went from 'never pick' to 'essential', for me...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 am

Also, also, read this tip somewhere... don't take the boss trait options once you beat them. They permanently add a rather meh trait to your pool, decreasing your odds of drawing one of the much more useful class traits per level-up. When you beat a boss, take the resource pack instead.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 am

Beat the first boss lastnight, focused on evade and defence and was able to take them down with very little trouble.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Killed the first boss too, with the warrior. Saved up oblivions, took out his palace and he was very little trouble.

By very little trouble I mean I had 12hp and a puckered arse when he died.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:54 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 pm
Killed the first boss too, with the warrior. Saved up oblivions, took out his palace and he was very little trouble.

By very little trouble I mean I had 12hp and a puckered arse when he died.
:D

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:37 am
Also, also, read this tip somewhere... don't take the boss trait options once you beat them. They permanently add a rather meh trait to your pool, decreasing your odds of drawing one of the much more useful class traits per level-up. When you beat a boss, take the resource pack instead.
Actually, having tested this I don't think the first one is correct, as far as I can tell it's a 3hp heal after killing an enemy. The second one is correct, though.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Seems that way, the wording of the traits differentiate them.

Just beat the first boss with the rogue on loop 23. 50% attack speed, 70% crit chance, 75% evasion. I was mincing everything in the loop without losing health for most runs, but hit the item limit and decided to have a bash at the boss. Despite my obscene damage and evasion he still came within about 15% of killing me. Not having oblivion cards to play on his summoned tiles really hurts you, the 5% buffs stack and become quite dangerous very quickly.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:53 pm
Seems that way, the wording of the traits differentiate them.

Just beat the first boss with the rogue on loop 23. 50% attack speed, 70% crit chance, 75% evasion. I was mincing everything in the loop without losing health for most runs, but hit the item limit and decided to have a bash at the boss. Despite my obscene damage and evasion he still came within about 15% of killing me. Not having oblivion cards to play on his summoned tiles really hurts you, the 5% buffs stack and become quite dangerous very quickly.
You can also mitigate how many lich palaces he spawns by building on those tiles before summoning him. He basically spawns one on every empty tile centred around the camp.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 pm

After never having played any game remotely like this, I've taken the plunge thanks to this thread! Just waiting for the purchase to parse, seems to be delayed for some reason.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn