Artifact [PC] - 28th November

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Artifact [PC] - 28th November

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 pm

I think you are right Mantis using the DOTA ip was a misstep I think. It made what was already a bit of a niche title because of the complexity, even more so.

I second what eVol said about MTGA, it's a lot of fun and a new set comes out today. It's probably the most generous CCG I've played in terms of giving you stuff. I have put in a grand total of £5 so far and have been able to create a few decent decks and one that is top tier.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:56 pm

I think the timing didn't help either. HS had been around for a few years and hoovered up all the CCG hype by the time this was announced, Magic has been around since forever and has finally done a good job of taking the game online, other none CCG games have gone heavier on card based mechanics in the last few years.

Remember when they announced it with the trailer and the pretty much unanimous reaction online was "Oh, Valve are making a card game, okay I guess". I think that translated to the sales figures.

So many devs make the mistake of releasing a genre of game right at the tail end of a wave of resurgence. Valve are in no way immune to that just as Bethesda weren't with Fallout 76.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Didn't they make an Elder Scrolls CCG as well, or did I dream that?

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Yes, Elder Scrolls Legend. It was OK.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:03 pm

It was pretty bland.

Last line of the newest Artifact patch notes....

Unchanged:
Still in it for the long haul

:|
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:29 pm

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Well that doesn’t address any of the issues people had. Over a year of work and they added zoom out. :-k

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:25 pm

I think it addresses one of the biggest concerns which was the economy. I don't think it is enough though, there are multiple other issues that the game has and it also needs to fight against the fact that it flopped first time out.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:15 pm

It seems they are adding a single player campaign as well...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/583950 ... 2003751630
Single Player
A lot of you recognized the potential for telling stories about the DOTA world through Artifact and loved what we'd already done through comics and flavor text. We are doubling down on that effort through a single-player campaign which will both teach new players the game and continue the story that began with A Call To Arms. Tying in to our progressions systems, we want people to feel rewarded no matter which way they choose to play the game, whether it be in competitive play or the campaign.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:11 pm

By the by, they ditched it all. Theyve quietly made the original free with all cards unlocked and released what they had done of a newer version but decided to stop all development because player numbers never grew (why would they grow before a new version comes out? :-k ). Pretty lame for a company worth billions to not give it a bit of a chance in some sort of a free form but hay ho! I guess they prefer that dumb chess bullshit :p

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:26 pm

I think if even the diehard Artifact people were not playing 2.0 I don't think it was going to find a larger audience in the wider gaming world. There was so much more work that needed to be done to 2.0 before it could be released so I think they were probably right to cut their losses.