Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Animalmother
Local

Re: Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 05, 2021 10:55 am

Long range sniper shots in this seem to be more difficult now, harder than I remember anyway. Are the gradient dots on the scopes just cosmetic or do they actually work? I do remember the recon skill progression gave me problems the last time I played as well, using a controller probably doesn't help either.

I spent a good 30 minutes yesterday trying to pick off guys from a hilltop to get a 400+ metre kill. The games draw distance wasn't loading in enemies and constantly hiding from helicopter patrols made me eventually say fuck it and Rambo my way in (unsurprisingly I didn't last long). Maybe I just suck at it :-k

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu May 06, 2021 2:50 am

I'm at lvl 10 with my Sharpshooter tactics toon. All the perks and skills add up - there's a +20% performance enhancer in the bivouac, for example, that helps a lot with accuracy. Holding one's breath, being prone, etc, also add up to me having an extremely steady aim for headshots. The mil dots, lines, whatever the scope has, really do help for longer distances on the weapons that have more ballistics drop. For that long range shooting, I'd use one of the .50cal rifles, and take off the silencer. You'd be almost laser-accurate. I think the bipod helps with sway, as well? That makes a big difference, because I'll watch a well-placed round go left or right and know it was the percentages doing it, not my skill. I'd think on a controller it'd be much harder.

Wish you could join us, Animal!
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu May 06, 2021 11:14 am

Cheers mate I'll give it a go. I also unlocked a perk that increases range by 60%, that should do the trick I think! Wish I could play with you guys as well, no crossplay on this game is bullshit :x

Popping off headshots much more easily now after using the perk and losing the suppressor. Nice.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri May 14, 2021 3:56 am

Raid, Snowy and I had a grand time this Thursday. We've started all new toons in order to play through with a few RPG-ish elements that we're imposing upon ourselves, like extremely limited fast travel, only upgrading our skills at Erewon, that sort of thing. Also we've done away with infantry markers in the HUD and on the mini-map. This has created a much more tense and slow-paced* approach to clearing larger areas, as we have to monitor patrols and such. I'm enjoying my role as sniper/overwatch with SMG backup, Raid has an ungodly auto shotgun, and Snowy has his beloved 416 + carambit combo :) We've barely touched the main missions yet and I'm enjoying the extra patrols and encounters that are happening when we turn on the Outcasts world parameter content - not to mention, determined to finish those missions so we can each get the Strike Designator.

*We do occasionally take the route of utter and mass destruction. This seems to positively correlate with the type of day at least one of us has had, ha ha

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri May 14, 2021 6:27 am

Yeah, it's brilliant. Turning off the enemy markers makes a huge amount of difference, and I love that the game gives you this much control over the experience. It turns it from something very arcadey to much more of a traditional tactical shooter experience. It also led to the slightly hilarious experience of me not being able to see anything - we'd decided that spending skill points could only be done at one of the rest spots, and while Snowy and Soli said they'd allow me this little infraction, I decided that I didn't want to spend the point to give me the night vision goggles until we got back to Erewhon. Cue lots of cursing when one of them shut off the generators and bases plunged into darkness.
Solitaire wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 3:56 am
*We do occasionally take the route of utter and mass destruction. This seems to positively correlate with the type of day at least one of us has had, ha ha
Fun story; as part of mental health awareness month, my boss sat my colleagues down yesterday and asked how we all unwind after we finish work. I *really* had to be coy around saying that my current method of unwinding is running up to little pixel soldiers, kicking them in the back of the knee, then stabbing them six times in the chest. Breakpoint is capable of some much needed catharsis for me at the minute.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri May 14, 2021 8:46 am

It's a bit of catharsis for me as well, my friend! I've had a horribly frustrating two weeks and finally have everything completed for these stupid bints in the HR department of my current agency. Jumping through hoops for these pencil-pushing imbeciles happens with every contract and I'm frankly ready to go live under a coconut tree somewhere. I'm quite tired of the rat race! :^P

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri May 14, 2021 1:01 pm

I too try and play this game with as much immersion as possible (as long as it doesn't become too frustrating). I've set the difficulty to one below extreme, no health regen, frequent injuries, no HUD except a compass and my special skill bar. Playing with no crosshair really makes laser sights vital when not ADS.

I also enjoy hiding from Azrael drones and helicopters so I left them as normal; I may well give the outcast parameter a try.

I haven't played in a while but I've also barely touched the main missions! I like to kit myself out appropriately when I'm at a bivuoac and spend an embarrassing amount of time dressing my meathead operative.

One thing that I enjoy about my settings is that it's truly a challenge, I have to really pick my battles or failure is likely which greatly adds to my lone wolf vibe in the game. AI squadmates were quite cool but they made it quite easy.

I've mostly played Panther class (the smoke slide is too damn cool) and the class that can take control of Azrael drones, can't remember what they're called. When I last played, which was about a month ago now, I was dabbling more with the sniper class for those tasty armour piercing bullets.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am

If you are playing on the PC, add OriginalSnowy, PW_Raid and SolitaireG to your friends list on Ubi and jump on the TGA discord channel.

Plus, got to love the attention to detail on the CQC kills...

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 15, 2021 11:38 am

I think the type of knife can determine the takedown animation as well, you get more stabby with a straight blade and more slashy with a curved one.

Rediscovering the joys of the underslung grenade launcher. No problem that can't be solved by the bloop tube.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat May 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:38 am
bloop tube
=D> :lol:

Now officially its name

=D>
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat May 15, 2021 4:06 pm

It's an appropriate name, but I tend to think of my underslung launcher as my "fuck that guy in particular" button. Bloop tube is just a little bit too whimsical for the effect of reducing an enemy to their constituent elements.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Can't claim credit on that name I'm afraid. Think that's what they've been nicknamed since the Vietnam War, that and "the thumper".

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun May 16, 2021 12:35 am

Vietnam era weapon for sure, the M79:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun May 16, 2021 8:38 am

Ah well you introduced me to the name, so you get the credit on here.

Fascinating video too - clicked expecting to watch for a couple of minutes, ended up watching it all.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun May 16, 2021 11:55 am

Gun Jesus does some fascinating videos about weird guns