I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Raid » Sat May 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I wasn't really expecting this to be any good. I was a massive fan of the 2014 Godzilla film, but I really expected it to be a fluke. Kong didn't really grab me, but then I never rated King Kong as a particularly good movie monster. Godzilla: King of the Monsters though is the Aliens to Godzilla's Alien; it's an over the top action film, the suspense and beauty of the first film aren't as prevalent, but the action is fantastic. The Kaiju battles take place both in human-scale and from more distant angles, and you never feel like it's obfuscating the fight with shaky cam or effects that otherwise distract. Ken Watanabe is back chewing the scenery for all its worth, and there's an excellent version of the original Godzilla theme (which is a favourite piece of movie soundtrack for me). The visuals are excellent once again (they're a real highlight in this Monarch series). I just think it's a shame that Millie Bobbie Brown's character is a little irritating, but then a child frustrated with her parents was always going to be a low point in a film about city-destroying monsters.

I really enjoyed it, in fact much like the 2014 original, it had me grinning like an idiot in parts. Giant monsters are cool, especially when they're portrayed as well as these.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat May 01, 2021 9:16 pm

Saw it at the cinema and thought it was pretty great too. I have a soft spot for all these monster movies though.

Animalmother

Post by Animalmother » Wed May 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Enjoyed that. Sort of an anthology of horror stories involving a group of teens in a 60's town. Genuinely creepy in places and some good body horror effects.
Spoiler
That poor bastard still gets sent to Vietnam in the end, that's just cruel