UHD/HDR must haves

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

UHD/HDR must haves

Post by Alan » Sun May 30, 2021 8:59 am

So I went and joined the modern world and bought a new TV. It comes tomorrow and naturally I'm quite keen on watching some stuff on it that justifies the spend to myself. Looking for some recommendations either UHD blurays or streaming. I've ordered Planet Earth 2 because of course and I was thinking maybe a Nolan film because as crap as they are they look incredible. I've also heard the Matrix of all things is a good one.

Ironically this past few months Ive mostly been watching stuff from the 60's and earlier so naturally I couldn't resist a new TV because of it! :p
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Hatredsheart

Re: UHD/HDR must haves

Post by Hatredsheart » Sun May 30, 2021 9:32 am

If you've got netflix or prime there's a lot of 4k/hdr stuff on there to watch on your new purchase. Breaking Bad in 4k looks great.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun May 30, 2021 12:01 pm

I was walking past a TV shop a while back and they were using Interstellar to demo the high end ones, it looked amazeballs.

There's also the legendary Predator blu ray where everyone looks like polished rubber, might be worth it for the laugh :lol:

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun May 30, 2021 2:15 pm

I didn’t know about that! Carl Weathers wee baby face! :lol:
Hatredsheart wrote: ↑
Sun May 30, 2021 9:32 am
If you've got netflix or prime there's a lot of 4k/hdr stuff on there to watch on your new purchase. Breaking Bad in 4k looks great.
I’m sure there’s lots of great looking ones but I’m looking for something that will make me believe in Jebus. Or at least convince the missus I didn’t just waste our dosh enough to not get hit ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun May 30, 2021 4:10 pm

YouTube is your friend mate, soooo many amazing 4k dodads to enjoy.

RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun May 30, 2021 6:31 pm

A few classics that look great in 4K:

Braveheart
Spartacus
Back to the Future
Star Wars original trilogy (the quality jump is less pronounced on the others)
Top Gun

Indiana Jones is out on 4K soon and I expect that will have had some top tier treatment.

One thing I’d stress is that films that are streamed in 4K often look substantially worse than their disc equivalents due to reduced bitrates. I guess it’s a question of practicality, because you’d need a ludicrous internet connection to stream 4K at the same bitrate as a 4K disc, but I generally only buy 4K films on disc now.

Also worth googling if a film is real 4K or just 2K that’s been upscaled, which is sadly the case for many modern films. Classic films tend to be transferred from the original negatives to 4K, which really makes them pop off the screen. I did read an explanation from an expert as to why 2K upscales aren’t necessarily as bad as they sound, but my general experience of them is that they only look like a modest upgrade from 1080p.

One to avoid is The Matrix, which is a surprisingly awful transfer. Stick with the blu ray.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:37 pm

YouTube

4K walk in Tokyo / New York / London etc
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:59 pm

Blade Runner
2001 A Space Odyssey

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:13 pm

It's maybe worth mentioning that the UHD version of Blade Runner 2049 will be back on Amazon Prime on the 28th. It's a stunning looking film, and was the first film I wanted to watch again when I got my new audio setup - last time I saw it it was using the TV's built-in speakers. I had to put it on hold though as the only way to watch it would have been to buy the Blu Ray, and when I moved house I basically vowed not to bother with physical media anymore. I can't wait.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:01 pm

thanks for the heads up

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:34 pm

if you are looking to get some UHD films on the cheap I recommend Prime. They are selling films for under a tenner. I picked up First Man for Β£3.50 and Blade Runner 2049 for Β£5.

As someone who once detested physical libraries I am rebuying my favourite films on physical 4K discs but for some films I am not that fussed if its on disc I am happy to buy it on Prime if they are going cheap.

Its definitely an option !

HMV are having buy 3 for Β£30 but the choice is OK, not the best

https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/4k- ... r-%C2%A330

Here is another, buy 2 for Β£30, the list is a lot better
https://store.hmv.com/store/hmv-offers/ ... d-2-for-30

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am

Is there much of a discernible difference between a UHD stream and the blu ray in terms of picture and audio quality?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 am

This is your man

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiuQkr ... PMgQe0FY-A

I have seen 3 films on 4K from physical disc and I can see a difference BUT the jump from 1080p to 4K is a lot more subtle than from DVD to 1080p (going back to SD is really tough. To think DVD was once considered good is funny given how dull the picture looks). Interestingly watching films on 4K can at times feel less rewarding because the picture a lot sharper, so any minor flaws in film are much more noticeable. After watching on 4K it does become difficult going back to Blu Ray but given the extensive movie libraries people may have on Blu Ray I would not recommend updating the library expect for those titles that are your favourite.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:39 am

Raid wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am
Is there much of a discernible difference between a UHD stream and the blu ray in terms of picture and audio quality?
Yes, there can be. It comes down to bitrate, as the throughput of data from a disc is magnitudes more than streaming provides. The Star Wars original trilogy is the best example I’ve seen of disc 4K being overwhelmingly better than streamed 4K.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am

Achtung Englander wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 am
This is your man

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiuQkr ... PMgQe0FY-A

I have seen 3 films on 4K from physical disc and I can see a difference BUT the jump from 1080p to 4K is a lot more subtle than from DVD to 1080p (going back to SD is really tough. To think DVD was once considered good is funny given how dull the picture looks). Interestingly watching films on 4K can at times feel less rewarding because the picture a lot sharper, so any minor flaws in film are much more noticeable. After watching on 4K it does become difficult going back to Blu Ray but given the extensive movie libraries people may have on Blu Ray I would not recommend updating the library expect for those titles that are your favourite.
Luckily I've just got a 4k bluray player that upscales normal br to uhd, I watched both versions of a film on the player (courtesy of a friend) and I genuinely couldn't tell which was the native 4k and which was the upscaled bluray.Got way too many blurays to upgrade them.
Last edited by Hatredsheart on Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—