elgaucho

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by elgaucho » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:37 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 pm
Resident Alien
An alien crash lands near a small town in Colorado and pretends to be the new doctor. It's Alan Tudyk as the alien so that's great. I'm still on the fence after 2 episodes if it's worth keeping with but it's only 8 episodes so might as well persevere. The alien practical effects are pretty great, the cgi not so much.
I think it's excellent, at least a few laugh out loud moments in each episode. Might just be a good fit for my weird humour, but I'm really enjoying it.
I don't think I got as into this as Sly did, but it's certainly growing on me - the last couple of episodes have been particularly fun, and I'm glad they moved away from the VERY cliche kids relationship. I know it's silly fun, but shows where the roles of characters are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator in order to justify their behaviour and antics generally leave me wanting.

The Rookie
I don't know if anyone here ever watched Castle, but Nathan Fillion is doing another cop procedural here that's into its third season. And I'll be honest - it's fantastic! I expected nothing more than a routine cop show, but the writing is really quite well done, and, while there's still the old cliches, it really grips you with the characters. Recommended :)

Invincible
Ok.... I'm a big fan of Robert Kirkman's Invincible (and the Walking Dead Books), and I was thrilled when they announced this was being converted to animation. It's the perfect format for it, and, as a series that's finished in the books, it has a clear beginning, middle and end.

The adaptation to the screen is EXCELLENT so far. The animation is top notch, the cast is mind blowing.... and the spirit of the comic oozes through to the show.

I find some of the over americanised accents a little too intense, but I think it's part of the whole concept of the books that it has to be that way.

I highly recommend watching at least ONE episode of this. Do not read up on it. Avoid the spoilers. Oh... and it's Kirkman... so...be ready for anything? (no kids! I don't want to be responsible for stuff here!) :D
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:06 pm

elgaucho wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm
The Rookie
I don't know if anyone here ever watched Castle, but Nathan Fillion is doing another cop procedural here that's into its third season. And I'll be honest - it's fantastic!
I really enjoyed Castle for several seasons, but it went way off the rails towards the end, end I never even bothered finishing it.

Glad to know he's been doing stuff since, I hadn't thought to look him up but I think I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far! :D
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 pm

Drarok wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:06 pm
elgaucho wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm
The Rookie
I don't know if anyone here ever watched Castle, but Nathan Fillion is doing another cop procedural here that's into its third season. And I'll be honest - it's fantastic!
I really enjoyed Castle for several seasons, but it went way off the rails towards the end, end I never even bothered finishing it.

Glad to know he's been doing stuff since, I hadn't thought to look him up but I think I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in so far! :D
If that doesn't include the Santa Clarita Diet, please rectify immediately :)

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:56 pm

That's on the list, but it got cancelled without wrapping up, didn't it?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:18 am

Drarok wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:56 pm
That's on the list, but it got cancelled without wrapping up, didn't it?
Sadly yes, but still well worth watching.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am

Got round to watching the second episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier. That was a much better episode - it has some direction and meaningful conflict now. They could have taken 10 minutes of exposition from the first episode and put it at the start of this one instead.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Following on elgaucho's recommendation of Invincible I watched episode 1 and found it very engaging. Not being a fan of superhero content and its all too samey for me this series had a marked originality. I will watch the rest of the series. Its an 18 rated animation for a reason. You can find it on Prime.

Thanks elgaucho
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 am

The Lord of the Rings, by which I mean of course the version made in the Soviet Union 30 years ago which has just popped up on YouTube...

Switch on the subtitles and prepare yourselves

(this is just the first episode - there are others...)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:48 am

That is something else.... :shock:

In Soviet Russia the One Ring makes you disappear...to gulag in Siberia

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Still better than The Hobbit

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 am

This looks like it could be gold, especially with the poor auto-translation from Russian to English.
Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm
True, I've seen puppet shows with more substance than the third film.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 am

:D

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:40 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 am
This looks like it could be gold, especially with the poor auto-translation from Russian to English.
Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:46 pm
True, I've seen puppet shows with more substance than the third film.
Agree, even as a lifelong Tolkien fan I was hugely disappointed by The Hobbit films. There was absolutely no reason to stretch it to 3 films for a start (apart from using it as a cash-cow ofc), and some of the scenes they shoehorned in to pad it out were baffling.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:07 am

I mostly like the first one, half-like the second one and despair at the state of the third one.

It could have been a great 4 hour film, or two great 2 hour films. The content actually derived from the novel is generally very good, and unsurprisingly it's the filler nonsense that's bad, so all the material is there to make a cut that is faithful and high quality. I expect someone has put one together somewhere.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:39 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:07 am
I mostly like the first one, half-like the second one and despair at the state of the third one.

It could have been a great 4 hour film, or two great 2 hour films. The content actually derived from the novel is generally very good, and unsurprisingly it's the filler nonsense that's bad, so all the material is there to make a cut that is faithful and high quality. I expect someone has put one together somewhere.
They have...

https://tolkieneditor.wordpress.com/

It’s better.