General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: General Film News

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:16 pm

Dev Patel doing a John Wick in Mumbai. Apparently he's an accomplished martial artist which I never knew.

Slumdog Killionaire as someone in the YouTube comments called it :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:34 pm

Could be fun, I enjoyed Nobody as well, which was another Wick-like

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 am

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:45 am

Did we know this was going to be a full-blown MCU film before now, or have I just not been paying attention? Are they effectively canon-ising all of the Fox films via the TVA?

I never did finish the second season of Loki. Maybe I ought to.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:47 am

I didn't even start it yet (despite liking S1), nor S3 of Mandalorian... I think I'm a bit Disney+'d out at this point.

That said, I am dragging myself to try to finish Andor right now :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 am

I was feeling a bit Marvel'd out a few months back, I think I got two episodes into Loki season 2 before just deciding to watch something else instead (not because I didn't like it, there were just things I wanted to watch more) and never went back. I ended up watching a few episodes of Secret Invasion last week (Pete had said he'd missed it in his The Marvels review, so I thought I'd try to catch up, I just didn't have time to watch all of it) and quite enjoyed it. I think generally their TV stuff has been better than the films since Endgame, but that's the very lowest of bars to clear.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:18 am

Raid wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:45 am
Did we know this was going to be a full-blown MCU film before now, or have I just not been paying attention? Are they effectively canon-ising all of the Fox films via the TVA?

But I don't want to watch any of the Marvel shite :x It's one of the reasons I loved Deadpool, it was pretty much standalone and didn't need much prior knowledge. Still looks great though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 am

Obviously I'm not bothered about it being MCU and all of the baggage that entails (I suspect I've got more tolerance for it than most here), I just hope to god they haven't Disney-fied it. I know there's a joke about being the first Disney mention of pegging in the trailer, I just don't want that to be the token "edgy" inclusion to get people into the cinema while the rest is toned down. Given how they basically ruined Boba Fett by completely changing his character to suit the widest possible audience, I have very little faith that they won't try it. I know Ryan Reynolds is one of the biggest reasons why the first two Deadpools got made, so hopefully his continued presence means it hasn't been destroyed.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am

I never started it and had completely forgotten it existed, which is a shame given that I liked the first season.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:19 am

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 am
I never started it and had completely forgotten it existed, which is a shame given that I liked the first season.
I think at least 50% of the reason for me is that Disney+ isn't a service, unlike Netflix or Prime, that I browse to find stuff to watch, instead it relies on me remembering about a show (even one I like) and going there in order to watch it. It took me a stupidly long time to finish the most recent series of Only Murders in the Building for just this reason :lol:

This is also why I refuse to sub to another service like Apple+ or Paramount or whatever, I just know I'd just end up forgetting which shows are on it anyway. At least with Disney+ the kids get a lot of use out of it.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:31 am

Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 am
Obviously I'm not bothered about it being MCU and all of the baggage that entails (I suspect I've got more tolerance for it than most here), I just hope to god they haven't Disney-fied it. I know there's a joke about being the first Disney mention of pegging in the trailer, I just don't want that to be the token "edgy" inclusion to get people into the cinema while the rest is toned down. Given how they basically ruined Boba Fett by completely changing his character to suit the widest possible audience, I have very little faith that they won't try it. I know Ryan Reynolds is one of the biggest reasons why the first two Deadpools got made, so hopefully his continued presence means it hasn't been destroyed.
Judging by the trailer I'm guessing it'll be business as usual with the violence and humour.... hopefully.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:59 pm

Last edited by Hatredsheart on Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:55 pm

That *could* be really good, and I guess I'm a little surprised that nobody's made a good modern-day US Civil War film (to my knowledge anyway), when it's a scenario that looked surprisingly realistic a few years back. Other than the ironic use of America the Beautiful, it doesn't look like it's full of the chest-thumping red-white-and-blue-blooded patriotism that I detest about American culture either.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:51 pm

Not really sure what to think of that, but I can't say I'm that enthusiastic. Given how much I loved Borderlands 2 (but liked each subsequent entry progressively less), I don't think I like how they've taken parts from the whole franchise and jammed them into one film. Presumably that's Lilith and Roland (BL), Krieg and Tiny Tina (BL2), I've no idea who Jamie Lee Curtis is playing, and Claptrap just does not feel right without the original voice actor. I dare say the villain is Handsome Jack (we don't really get more than a brief glimpse at him), because if they're cherry-picking characters from multiple games, of course you're going to choose Handsome Jack because he's one of gaming's best villains. And they're doing the thing that I worry about with every sci-fi adaptation; too many recognisable modern-day props - they're rendering the more esoteric vehicles, but all of the ones the characters are driving look like they're just production cars with a few bits glued to them.

I suppose the issue with adapting a game with such a distinct style is that the budget is never going to stretch to getting it to look quite right. This should have been animated.

Edit: Apparently JLC is playing Tannis? Really? That's not the impression I got, but I'd trust her to do the character justice if I wasn't concerned that nobody else in the film seems right.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:32 pm

I suppose it's possible someone just gave the writers a brief description of Borderlands plot and they said fuck that we're making Guardians of the Galaxy with different characters. The main villain is apparently Atlas? Was he even in the game as a character?

Anthony Star would have been a perfect Handsome Jack. Wasted opportunity :x