Re: Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm

:lol:
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:10 pm

If I played a drinking game where I drank every time he declared something in the trailer was shit with zero context for it because the film hasn’t been released yet, I’d be pissed as a fart now.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:44 am

After going and seeing the Force Awakens I skipped the cinema release of The Last Jedi and watched on Blu Ray/Sky/Pirate Vision. I can't remember much about it other than it was tedious an overlong.

The amount of focus that the films get - ripped to shreds for various reasons, casting, plot etc. is unfair. Ultimately they just aren't very good and that's the bottom line. I think, for me, the issue is that it has tried to become bigger and deeper than the original joyful space romps. My favourite of all the new films is Solo followed by Rogue One because they done belabour the supposed philosophical aspects that everyone seems to have become entrenched in.

I think the single most interesting thing about the new trilogy was a Stormtrooper made human and deeply flawed at that.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 am

But the greatness of Star Wars has always been that it can be appreciated as both a fun space adventure and an introspective philosophical exercise. I think they’ve maintained that balance for the saga films.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:13 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 am
But the greatness of Star Wars has always been that it can be appreciated as both a fun space adventure and an introspective philosophical exercise. I think they’ve maintained that balance for the saga films.
:lol: Now I know you're just trolling.

The films are fun, sure, but they're about as philosophical as a dead badger.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:44 pm

If you only look at the surface, sure. :?

If someone only wants to enjoy it for being a space fantasy action film, good for them - I'd never suggest those people don't 'get' Star Wars or are only taking a shallow view of it. By the same token I'd never expect them to accuse those of us who do look deeper of trolling because they wrongly assume it's nothing but shallow, insubstantial fun. I'm not saying this is degree-level philosophy, but there's clearly more to Star Wars and the Force than space magic.

There's a wider aspect to this, as a majority of people seem to be under the impression that films, TV, books and games which fall under the generic pop culture umbrella are inherently shallow and not worthy of close analysis. I declare that to be bollocks, and will unapologetically continue to examine stories as closely as I feel like, whether it's for Star Wars, accepted classic literature or a Steven Seagal film, and I encourage others to do so without feeling like they need to validate it. It's the only way discussion of these things rises above the sort of crap you get on Youtube comment sections.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:01 am

Methinks you protest too much!

Star Wars was rescued from utter awfulness on the editing floor. It's not deep and clever, it's Lucas' pet project.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:42 am

Irrelevant. The text speaks for itself; its creator and the way it came about have no bearing on the story or its interpretation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

And yes, I do protest too much because this sort of attitude when discussing stories is a gigantic pet peeve of mine. Can you not conceive that maybe I and others appreciate Star Wars in a different way to you, and that since it’s textually-based it’s an equally valid view?

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 am

What a load of nonsense. That's like saying horoscopes are deeply philosophical because the idiots who believe them find meaning in them when really they're a load of rubbish. Of course the author and their vision have some bearing on the story and interpretation.

I'm not saying that people can't find some meaning in a story that wasn't the author's original intent, but to claim that a story is deeply philosophical when the author didn't really have a clue is a vast stretch.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 am

I didn’t claim it was deeply philosophical. Star Wars has philosophical aspects to it above and beyond the surface space adventure which warrant analysis.

And the concept of Death of the Author is not nonsense. It’s widely accepted to be a fundamental part of critical analysis. JK Rowling is a great example of why story and author should be separated - her famous statement that Dumbledore is gay might make you think of his character in new ways, but it is never referenced in the text. If it was important to the story, it would have been part of the story. The text must speak for itself regardless of what the author intended or says about it afterwards. What if she says now that Dumbledore was dead the whole time? Or that Hagrid is pansexual? Or that Hogwarts exists in Narnia? It doesn’t change what the text is.

It’s an even more important concept for writers than readers, because when you write something and send it out for public consumption, you don’t get to qualify or correct the interpretations of your audience. The text speaks for itself.

So no, it isn’t nonsense.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Got a better offer from Netflix it would seem.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Good. They were very poor writers when it came to GoT and the total hackjob they made of the final few seasons really ruined that show. Give the new trilogy to a decent writer and pay them to stay on for all three movies this time so we get a coherent story.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:11 pm

I know spoilers

Piece of advice when you see this film put your expectations below rock bottom and you will be OK
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Seeing it tomorrow afternoon and I'm very much looking forward to it! :)

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:11 pm
Piece of advice when you see this film put your expectations below rock bottom and you will be OK
Sage advice!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!