Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Tank

Re: Star Wars The Rise Of Skywalker - the last film in the saga

Post by Tank » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:23 pm

I would imagine they are less burnt out on the franchise and more sick of the pond scum that clamors over Star Wars in the name of fandom and criticism.
Anderson: [reads Kay's mind] Sir, he's thinking about going for your gun.

Judge Dredd: Yeah?

Anderson: [reads it again] He just changed his mind.

Judge Dredd: Yeah...

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:23 pm

Tank wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:23 pm
I would imagine they are less burnt out on the franchise and more sick of the pond scum that clamors over Star Wars in the name of fandom and criticism.
Very much so. Toxic doesn't even begin to describe it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 am

Any toxicity is massively heightened by the media reporting on it, same goes for the games industry. It only takes one or two people for the media to latch on and amplify the toxicity. I would think they would be more fed-up with the constant chopping and changing of directors and writers. It's also just hard working on something so big for such a long period of time as an actor you probably want to do something different after so long/

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Alternatively, they may view as being set for life and now able to pick and choose roles going forwards I guess.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Disney set to take a break from making Star Wars films:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/f ... andalorian

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:46 pm

There's shitloads of potential for Star Wars as a TV franchise, so this isn't a terrible idea, but I feel like Disney could rather easily afford to do both. Take their time to review their process and address the significant criticism the films have drawn, sure, but withdrawing from the big screen seems like overkill.

Just give me a proper sequel to Rebels, series or film, while you can still get the same voice cast together. Now. Please.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 pm

As much as I’ve enjoyed all the new films, it makes perfect sense to have a break from further films given the level of hatred towards them (for right or wrong). The air needs to clear. And much like Mass Effect, I’d rather they wait until they come up with an irresistible idea rather than churning something out because they can.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:22 pm

So Disney has decided that they're going to start a new era for future Star Wars productions, set several hundred years prior to the events of A New Hope, but not as far back as The Old Republic.

I think this was needed to some extent. There's just so much baggage with the Galactic Civil War and post-war eras, and this gives a reasonably clear slate to start over with. Fan service, something that has killed so much credibility with the franchise, will likely be kept to a minimum as the only character we know of from the existing productions that will be alive in this era will be Yoda.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:20 pm

I’m sure there will be Larry Skywalker, BubbaFett and Jodi the Hutt.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:24 am

stamp 1:25

diversity is in twice. Nice to see "actual ending" in there. They also highlighted "not pro war" in a franchise that has war in a title with just 2 words in it

Yeah. I have not seen Solo or Ep 9 and er....yeah I am good. Pass. If that board is indicative of what these writers want to bring to the table than I recommend you keep your expectation low, I mean like rock bottom.

They need to go back to writers 101 - what is the fucking story. Forget all this droids, dinosaur, diversity crap. The biggest and only word on that board should have been STORY.

Star Wars Ep 4 - 6. Luke Sywalker learns his heritage and works to redeem his father. Story.

I have no idea what 7-9 is - maybe Rey is an ass kicking Jedi woman, maybe, I don't know.

Figure out what is a compelling story that audiences want to see - than talk about not having war in a franchise about a galactic war.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:36 am

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:24 am
They also highlighted "not pro war" in a franchise that has war in a title with just 2 words in it
I wouldn't say Star Wars has ever been pro-war, though, has it? The Rebels aren't fighting the Empire because they love a good scrap.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:59 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
They need to go back to writers 101 - what is the fucking story. Forget all this droids, dinosaur, diversity crap.
No, fuck that attitude. Diversity shouldn't be optional anymore. It needn't be the crux of a story, but just putting men and women of any nationality in varied roles shouldn't be in any way difficult.

Referring to it as "crap" and ignoring the fact that for a huge chunk of our population it's anything but is exactly the sort of blind, backwards attitude they're trying to kill.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm

except ofcourse films set in the past. I am beginning to sound like Laurence Fox

There is something about go woke, go broke that is ringing true and I am not even white !

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
I have no idea what 7-9 is
I've been thinking about this since seeing 9. I'll need to see it again, but right now I'm also not sure what the trilogy's story is based on the films alone (i.e. ignoring all the Disney politics and fan reactions). I think at its core it's about Rey letting go of who she thinks she is and deciding to choose who she is instead. In many ways 7 and 8 - and Rogue One, for that matter - were about the end of exceptionalism to me, and I'm undecided how/if 9 fits into that. It's certainly not as clear-cut or coherent as the other two trilogies.
Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm
except ofcourse films set in the past.
I'm not sure what point you're making. If you're implying that historical films based on predominantly white periods/areas should have a predominantly white cast for the purposes of accuracy, then yes, there's an argument for that. There are also arguments against it. Otherwise you've lost me.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm
except ofcourse films set in the past.
I'm not sure what point you're making. If you're implying that historical films based on predominantly white periods/areas should have a predominantly white cast for the purposes of accuracy, then yes, there's an argument for that. There are also arguments against it. Otherwise you've lost me.
[/quote]

that. Also applies to non white roles that are played by white people