The F1 thread

Running around and stuff.
Raid
Local

Re: The F1 thread

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:38 pm

And as is tradition, the season goes out not with a bang, but a whimper. The F1 Youtube channel posted a "moments you'd forgotten from past Abu Dhabi Grand Prix" earlier in the week, and the comments all said the same thing; nobody could remember anything from past Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. It's an absolutely crap circuit that I can't remember having produced a good race in eleven years.
Spoiler
Are you really expecting there to be anything interesting in the spoiler tags? It's Abu Dhabi. McLaren got third in the constructors because Perez retired. That's it. Nothing else happened.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Absolutely boring, boring, boring.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:14 am

There was the year (2012?) when Raikkonen came out with his radio outbursts and somehow managed to win. That was fun.

Otherwise it’s a good opportunity for a nap. I did enjoy the Perez debacle, as the brand new engine that he’d taken a full grid penalty for exploded, causing him to say a final dismayed “I’m off”, before sauntering through the ticket barriers and out of the paddock (and potentially F1) with zero fucks to give. I like to think he went straight to the airport in his race gear and jumped on the first plane out of there.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 am

From what I remember, Raikonnen's win was special because it was the first victory for Lotus, not because the race was interesting. He gained the lead because of Hamilton retiring ahead of him, not from any on-track action.

You do lose your sense of time when watching the highlights programme, I've found. I had to have the race on my PC last night as my Fire TV stick wasn't buffering correctly (and annoyingly despite owning four or five streaming devices, it's the only one on which you can stream live Channel 4). I looked away to another window for a bit, and when I looked back I expected it to be about the halfway point of the race, but it was actually lap 52 of 54. Clearly it was not an absorbing race.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Sergio Pérez may still have earned a ride with Red Bull in 2021 – the decision has yet to be made – but if he is absent from the grid F1 will be all the poorer for it. The Mexican has enjoyed perhaps the strongest season of his career, including a superb debut win at the Sakhir Grand Prix. His Racing Point team have signed Vettel for next season and there was clearly going to be no marching orders for their other driver, Lance Stroll, whose billionaire father owns the team. Over at Haas they have taken on Nikita Mazepin, whose billionaire father is bankrolling his career. There is a pattern here, if only it was possible to make it out. Pérez has been dropped despite being one of the most talented drivers on the grid. His absence would be a travesty for F1.
I think someone forgot that Perez is only in F1 because of the money he brought with him. It's sad that he hasn't got a drive for next year but he has got seats himself over more talented drivers in the past.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Perez will drive for Red Bull in 2021.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/18/off ... -for-2021/

I've been hoping for this, but I didn't really think it was likely. I'd be fascinated to know when the decision was made, whether it came before or after Sakhir, and if it's the latter how much that maiden win contributed. I'm also quite excited to see how a known quantity of a driver copes under the conditions at Red Bull.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Haas have kept Mazepin. I don't think Haas will ever recover from that decision tbh. Rich Energy were a walk in the park compared to this.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Mazepin is almost going to be a pantomime villain on the grid next year. Not only is he apparently a massive misogynist with poor judgement, he didn't even do very well in F2, and he gained 11 penalty points this year for poor sporting standards.

Remember Pastor Maldonado? Remember him purposefully driving into Hamilton at Spa one year following the end of a qualifying session? Remember how he kept crashing? Remember the good will he earned by taking a Williams to their only victory in the last decade? Now imagine Maldonado didn't win that one race, and was a known rapist.

Yeah.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Whenever I see Nikita Mazepin, I keep trying to pronounce it Nikita Marzipan.

Which is funny really because they both belong in the fucking bin.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:52 am

Hamilton to be knighted - some nice news for F1

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... nours-list
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:26 am

I got to drive down the Hamilton Straight at Silverstone yesterday, beating Lewis to it! :D
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 pm

Hamilton has signed with Mercedes for another year, Wolf said the reason for only one year was because of the lateness of discussions starting because Hamilton contracted COVID and the uncertainty in the sport due to the pandemic and the rule changes set for next year.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:44 pm

I don't believe that for a minute, as I very much doubt he'd be representing himself in negotiations. Unless his manager also contracted covid, I can't see Lewis' illness as a valid reason. Also, don't forget that his contracting covid happened in November or December, and Bottas' contract was signed back in August. There may well have been months of negotiations before he contracted the virus.

There've been plenty of rumours floating around. Some state he was demanding too much money, but there've been plenty of people disputing that including Ross Brawn and Stefano Domenicali (who has now replaced Chase Carey as CEO of F1). Other rumours include his wanting a veto over his teammate (and Mercedes have announced that the new contract does not include such power).

Personally I reckon Hamilton will have been demanding support from Mercedes for his various causes. They're a massive brand with global reach and they're an ideal partner to support him. He's going to get his eighth championship this year, sealing him in as the most successful driver of all time, so I just can't see there being sporting issues they'd need to reach common ground on.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:09 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:44 pm
I don't believe that for a minute, as I very much doubt he'd be representing himself in negotiations. Unless his manager also contracted covid, I can't see Lewis' illness as a valid reason. Also, don't forget that his contracting covid happened in November or December, and Bottas' contract was signed back in August. There may well have been months of negotiations before he contracted the virus.

There've been plenty of rumours floating around. Some state he was demanding too much money, but there've been plenty of people disputing that including Ross Brawn and Stefano Domenicali (who has now replaced Chase Carey as CEO of F1). Other rumours include his wanting a veto over his teammate (and Mercedes have announced that the new contract does not include such power).

Personally I reckon Hamilton will have been demanding support from Mercedes for his various causes. They're a massive brand with global reach and they're an ideal partner to support him. He's going to get his eighth championship this year, sealing him in as the most successful driver of all time, so I just can't see there being sporting issues they'd need to reach common ground on.
They said multiple times during the season that they would discuss a new contract after he won the championship so I think getting COVID could have factored into that and I think Hamilton is at a stage in his career where he wants to be involved in any discussions regarding a contract. They said it isn't the only reason and I can see it being a factor.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:06 am

Horner's frustration/anger in the latest series of Drive to Survive is so sweet. I was never his biggest fan and with each new series of the Netflix show I like him less and less, meanwhile the opposite is true of Vettel who has been coming across really well in the last few series and I am finding myself warming to him. I think part of that is he has grown up from his days at Red Bull, although the last episode I watched when he was talking about playing fair made me do a bit of a double-take, has he forgotten about his on track antics both at Red Bull and with Hamilton in 2019?