Gaming Regrets

Steam, Deals & More.
Tommy

Gaming Regrets

Post by Tommy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:09 pm

What it says on the tin. Getting to a game too late, missing a certain questline or decision etc.

My biggest regret, I think, was not getting into WoW at the same time a number of my online friends did. I was stubborn and stuck to playing other games and looking back, I think I probably missed out on a shit-ton of fun there. Every time I tried to get into it it was playing catch-up. I tried WoW Classic during furlough but again, levelling alone isn't that much fun.

Snowy
Local

Re: Gaming Regrets

Post by Snowy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:51 pm

Classic WoW reminded me that the quality of life changes made to WoW over the years massively improved the game and that the rose tint was an illusion :)

I played Mass Effect 2 without playing 1 and didn't get on with it at all. Knowing the esteem that most here hold the title in, I am sorry I missed that first time round.

Also never played System Shock 2 or either Baldurs Gate titles, all supposed to be seminal game experiences.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:19 pm

As much as I love BG, I imagine playing it for the first time today would be a mammoth challenge of patience. But System Shock 2... Did you play Thief 1 and 2? Because it’s the same engine, and if you can still enjoy those despite their age then SS2 is a good enough game that I think it would still hold up for new players today. I still play it every now and then and it remains a masterpiece. The interface is still reasonable too, which for me tends to be the deal-breaker with trying old games for the first time.

Ultima VII is my one real regret. I left that too long and the interface is terrible by modern standards, which has left me unable to stick it out past the first half hour. These things need nostalgia to override the objective crapness.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:38 pm

KOTOR is probably the big series that passed me by. I should have jumped at a Star Wars RPG, but for some reason I never bought it. It's too old now for me to really enjoy, and I sorta know the biggest spoilers anyway. If they ever do a full remake I'll pick it up.

I've also never managed to really get into anything by Platinum Games, a developer that seems to make games that I should really enjoy. I managed to get through the first few levels of MGS:Revengeance, which I loved, but then I inevitably put games down for a few days and then when I come back I can't remember how anything works.

I do occasionally miss WoW quite strongly; Wrath of the Lich King was the expansion I played the most of, and even my scrappy little guild managed to get right to the end of the raiding content. I enjoyed Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria and what I saw of Warlords (I think I gave up before the level cap), but it never quite hit the same high notes for me. I reckon I'd give it another try if I had people to play with, but it's just not a solo experience.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 pm

not playing Fallout 4 or New Vegas
not playing any of the Mass Effect games
not getting into Civ games
not growing up with Mario because my parents never bought me a Nintendo console
playing a game after it ceases to be fun out of a weird sense of self-obligation, which on the scheme of things, makes zero sense
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 pm

In my youth insisting on playing games on the hardest difficulty levels because I'll be damned if a game can beat me! So much needless stress could have been avoided #-o

Not finishing the multitude of games I started because I got distracted by something else.

Being utterly shit at fighting, driving and anything that requires quick reflexes.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:15 pm

I regret ever having played Eve Online and losing an ungodly percentage of my life to it..... but I also simultaneously regret ever stopping playing Eve Online and losing touch with all the great folk I spent so long on there with. Such an incredible game.

(Stuff that will mean nothing to anyone here)
Flying round our old pocket in Stain makes me sad that it’s just a few random guys that use it now, there’s nobody with a decent setup to take advantage of it. In my mind it’s the best pocket in the damn game for a small alliance or medium Corp.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 pm

Playing Gothic: Forsaken Gods -_-

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:06 pm

Oh, another one from when I was extremely young. My mum and dad were going to buy me a new NES game which was a rare treat. We got to the first shop and I had a game picked out after looking over all of the options. I then realised that the next shop would have other options. The next shop did not have better options. There was no opportunity to return to the first shop, and I was too impatient to wait another week. I ended up with Burai Fighter, a pretty lousy schmup so difficult I don't think I ever managed to make it past the second level.

The game I didn't buy was The Legend of Zelda.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:10 am

Ouch
Achtung Englander wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 pm
not growing up with Mario because my parents never bought me a Nintendo console
I am also kinda here, but at the same time I never saw the appeal of Mario games (Mario Kart excepted). I cut my teeth on Manic Miner and the like but quickly grew to dislike platform games plus I never actually liked any of the characters in the Mario series. Why would anyone ever want to play a game as a fat moustachio'd plumber? It was all too cutesy for me.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 am

yes I too grew up with a speccy 48k but I missed out on gaming per see throughout the entire 90s as my dad pushed me to study. He did have a point as I would have been easily distracted but I wholly missed out on some amazing retro games. I only got back into gaming back in 2001 with MOHAA and the rest is history....
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:42 am

I regret selling my Amiga 600 and all my boxed games in late 1995 to get a Playstation. I should have waited out longer and saved up enough to have both.

My Amiga years are still my favourite gaming era.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:24 pm

My mother throwing out all the cardboard game boxes and manuals I had kept. In fairness they took up a huge amount of space but I'd like to have kept a few, namely the 3 Half-Life ones in the orange, green and blue boxes.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:44 pm

I think my biggest regret is letting my backlog reach about 200+ across all the platforms I own games on. :lol:

Though I am one of those who missed the boat on Baldur's Gate. I think I got about half way through the first one a couple of years ago before I burnt out on it. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it, but I don't really like the archaic design where you can miss a ton of content just because of arbitrary limits. My understanding is that there are various elements of that game which are time limited, it put me off immediately when I found out.

I like games where you might not experience all the content first time around, but not because I didn't go to the right place in the right time limit.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Oh yeah, I definitely regret all the money Ive spent on games Ive never played. :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.