VR!

Steam, Deals & More.
Drarok

Re: VR!

Post by Drarok » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 pm

How very expected. Bastards.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:24 pm

It's not a particularly big deal for me as I have a facebook account and haven't really bought much on the Oculus store, but it'll definitely be a consideration when it comes to buying my next headset. To be honest it doesn't really feel like Oculus is very interested in PC VR anyway so I'll likely be going elsewhere regardless. Despite the obviously superior processing hardware, they still haven't given controller-less hand tracking to the Rift S.

I'm looking at the Reverb G2 as it basically removes the screen door effect which is pretty much the specs of the Index but with basically no screen door effect, my preferred tracking method and a significantly lower price. I've no need to be buying one any time soon but I definitely have an upgrade path now.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:46 am

So I tried knuckles. Holy shit I want knuckles!

You see I have been using the Samsung Odyssey Plus. The screen is brilliant, the controllers are "fine", better than the usual WMR controllers but not great but its really made up for by the screen. Ive tried most of the non-index or the new Reverb headsets and visually I dont think any beat the Odyssey. I dont really think its much of a contest. After using the knuckles though I'm very sad I can't justify buying an index. So what I did do was sell the Samsung, buy a cheap V1 vive missing the controllers and im now on the wait list for the knuckles :-"

The way I see it I can go buy a Pro or even an index HMD headset in the future but I'd rather have those controllers than the extra res. Theres no upgrade path from the Samsung but Valve has been surprisingly amicable with their backwards compatibility. Also have the audio strap which is decent. A bit more comfortable but a bit less secure and a touch light leakage though you can bolt it pretty firmly on but then it just has the same effect as the skimask headstrap.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 pm

So Oculus have announced that they're dropping the PC-only Rift headsets in favour of all-in-one units like the newly announced Quest 2. It's a bit of a shame given that they were really the originator of modern VR and clearly PC hardware offers much richer experiences, but frankly I doubt many will be all that bothered. The forced Facebook integration and lacklustre quality of the Rift S (I love mine for the resolution it offered at the time, but the audio solution is pathetic) means that the competition is much more appealing these days anyway.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:03 pm

So knuckles!

These things are pretty great but they aren't perfect. For me at least I could never quite get it to track my fingers perfectly and also be positioned comfortably but maybe I have weird hands. I probably have weird hands judging by the rest of me. It works more than well enough since games only really need thumb, 1st and then a block of 2nd 3rd 4th fingers together so its never an issue in game but if you want to say.... give the combine the finger it often tends to be the wrong one. That aside they just feel real great. Since theyre strapped to you youre not holding a controller so the ingame action of opening your hand to drop something is exactly what you do. In Superhot as a gun flys in you just hold your open hand up and close it round the incoming weapon and its just great! At first I kept feeling like I should be pressing a button so every time I caught a gun I instantly fired it but you get used to that very quick. In Alyx if you pick up a can, you can squeeze the controller and the pressure sensitivity crushes it which is neat..... once.... no real value in the long run! Oh they also make my throws more accurate in superhot which is nice.

Are they worth the asking price? Ahhhh..... I dont think so. Few games fully support them and some games are actually worse. Surgeon sim for example, to hold anything you had to grip the things really tightly since I guess full pressure = the palm button.

Theyre great, really really great and I'm glad I had them for Alyx and they make Superhot way better but I think Valves next controller might just be the one. Fantastic proof of concept that needs some refining.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:39 pm

I'm still hoping for a tracked glove peripheral that gives you free use of your real hands while retaining the perfect tracking of a controller. Sim games have been my genre of choice for VR, and while I'd like to be able to manipulate virtual cockpit instruments with my hands, it's impractical to put down a controller when I need to use my joystick or throttle and then pick it back up afterwards.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:44 am

The problem there is it’s going to ge grotty. Have you looked into Leapmotion? Basically it involves strapping one into your headset but it worked really well when I tried it when I first got a Vive but not at full arm distance. With a sim your hands are always going to be close enough to track. It sure is cluncky though! It should be built in, I know Rift is trying it with their cameras but it doesn’t seem anywhere near as accurate.

Me99

Post by Me99 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 pm

Apparently the quest 2 has full wireless streaming with VRdekstop. A bunch of people have been using it to play HL Alyx. I'm pretty tempted to sell my vive and get a quest 2.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:31 am

I wouldn't buy into anything from Oculus right now. The forced Facebook account shit is a huge stink, and they're perma-banning people for no given reason, rendering the hardware and software purchases useless. Shitty behaviour as expected.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Me99

Post by Me99 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:00 pm

To be fair I've had a facebook account for ages so it doesn't bother me. There's too many neat features, there already an app that can overlay your keyboard in VR that works with the hand tracking. Not sure if VR has the rez for reading all that comfortable though, its a right fucking ball ache on the vive.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:13 am

Very good humble bundle for VR :)
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fall-vr
-- To be completed at some point --

Me99

Post by Me99 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:48 pm

Got the quest, it shits all over the vive. I cant see any SDE and the image looks loads sharper, can actually read text easily. Not had any tracking issues either. The wireless streaming of steam games is fucking amazing, played superhot and job simulator without issue and both games looked load better.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:43 pm

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:08 pm

Coming from PSVR1 they could have shat in your hand and it would have been an improvement in feel and tracking. These look comfy enough.