Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Console Country!
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Who is going to bite the bullet and get a next gen console?

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:52 am

Alan wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:47 am
So how’s download speeds on folks Series consoles? Mine are pretty shit topping out around 35mbps and much slower than I would get on PS4. There’s no restrictions that I can see and speed test on the console shows my actual speed. Something seems amiss :-k

My connection is 200mbps.
Haven’t managed to get a Series X yet, but the wifi download speeds on the One X have always been abysmal for me, to the point where I ended up running a 10m Ethernet cable round the living room to the router (could have used homeplugs, but the dodgy wiring in my house makes them unreliable).

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:21 am

My download speeds on the XBox One were always disappointing, I figured it was Microsoft limiting the rate. Mine too was on wireless, I've never tried hooking it up via ethernet.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 am

Ethernet works fine on the One X - I usually get speeds consistent with wifi on other devices around the house. I wonder if MS use dirt cheap wifi chips or something, although it doesn't seem like they'd save a huge amount by skimping on them. Now that I think about it, the One S was dire over wifi too. Not just at my house either - did the same when I took it to my parents' house.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:01 am

I can get download speeds over 200mbps on mine (actually it'll report over 300mbps on a 250mb connection sometimes..). That can drop to below 20 but overall it seems to stay around 120+ which I'm happy enough with. The reported download rate seems to be very unreliable so I tend to ignore it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:21 am

Never had any issues on Xbox with downloads, PS4 has always been the bad one for me so much so that it has at times put me off playing a game because the update has taken so long to download. I heard the PS5 was lightning fast at launch but that was probably partly down to hardly anyone using the infrastructure.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:06 pm

I’m Ethernet too. Weird. Downloaded the Halos (for some whim) and Gears 4 (to see if I can bring myself to finish it) and it took the whole day. My PS4 speeds were always pretty good to the point the daft “installing” thing sometimes took longer than the downloads.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Going back to the above mentioned download speed on the Xbox. Mine has gone to shit lately with random speeds from a very rare 80Mb to below 1Mb, things that before took about an hour to download now take several hours. I was talking to a mate with a Series X and he has the same problem. Due to more people using Game Pass maybe?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Yep, I noticed that last week. Same thing that used to happen on my One X. I was previously getting stable download speeds over wifi, consistent with every other device in my house. I've not tried ethernet on the Series X yet.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Is there an option for rest mode downloading with the Series X? I noticed with the PS5 that the downloads don't get throttled as much when you put the console into rest mode and just leave it for a bit.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:02 pm

I’m not sure, will have a look next time I download something.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:43 pm

If its in "quickstart" mode it downloads in the background. I just use the phone app to queue downloads through the night if its anything big.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

OzzyMosley

Post by OzzyMosley » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:07 am

Getting a Switch for the Mario RPG remake this Christmas and I kinda don't care how much of a dumbass that marks me as...