The Covid-19 Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
eny

Re: The Covid-19 Thread

Post by eny » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:27 pm

:lol:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:38 pm

Some of my friends have had the text now and I'm starting to get a bit envious tbh. I don't know why - my family have all had theirs, I see nobody anyway and I'm at low risk regardless, but it feels like that would be something less to have to even think about.

I'm back off to Scotland on Saturday to move out my flat (which I don't really want to do or want to have to do), and am already irritated by the idea I might have to explain it to someone. I understand why, but it's still irritating me.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm

Huh, so I just got invited to a vaccination along with my housemate tomorrow. We're both in our mid thirties, so it's come a lot earlier than expected. I didn't think the age bracket had gotten that low yet.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:36 pm

53 here and finally got a slot for Thursday, but have heard April is for the next lower bracket, so your site has probs opened the bracket earlier because of the available vaccine and completed over-50's first vaccine.

– Abraham Lincoln

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:42 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm
Huh, so I just got invited to a vaccination along with my housemate tomorrow. We're both in our mid thirties, so it's come a lot earlier than expected. I didn't think the age bracket had gotten that low yet.
A couple of my Lancaster friends also had a text over the weekend and had their vaccination yesterday. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it as one is 29 and the other is 38 and neither has any underlying health issues. Could just be a local surplus, but it seems like they're picking names out of a hat.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 pm

My guess is that they've had a surplus supply and are just getting as many people in to use it as possible. The alternative explanation is that the Lancaster / Blackpool / Fylde area seemed to have a pretty bad infection rate for a while, so perhaps we've been given more stocks to get people immunised as soon as possible.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:37 pm

Do you need to register for this text, or are they just contacting people based on NHS records?
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:22 pm

I think they contact you via your registered GP's surgery.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:22 pm

I got a text from my surgery with a link, but decided to wait before booking, as I wanted to get a Rheumatologist appointment fulfilled first. He has diagnosed RA and I didn't want to go ahead with vaccination before taking his advice. The link was still valid 2 weeks later, but the NHS texted me also with a link that had all the pharmacies and centres vaccinating in the local and larger area. I got a letter from the NHS too saying I could visit the link.

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:11 pm

So 10 hours on from the injection and I've so far had some mild side effects, namely the inability for me to extend the arm that I had the injection in fully (there's a pain around the elbow joint if I do) and I was having some brief, minor dizzy spells a few hours ago. There's some general fatigue too. Nothing particularly significant.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:16 pm

– Abraham Lincoln

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:31 pm

This is one of the most French things ever....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56638088
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:44 am

The stories of rich and privileged scumbags that have either flaunted regulations or jumped the queue on vaccination should be something to behold in the coming months and years. Be nice if there was actual consequences.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm

So it turned out when I rang up and searched my NHS number, because of me heart condition I had when I was a child (that I feel has no impact on my everyday life) I was considered both at risk and at the front of the queue (ish) for the vaccine and had 'already missed one appointment/call to arms'.

Anyway, went out to the Nightingale to have my vaccine on Wednesday. Had too much coffee and no food before I went which resulted in me thinking that for the first time in my life I would faint before an injection. Didn't in the end. They had people at the 'corner's of the queue chatting with patients which really helped. Very efficient operation tbh, quite impressed and the people they had at various points would allay people's fears.

Queue was probably 30 mins but after that, less than ten mins. Back home and back to work within two hours (inc. travel).

The aftermath, for me, was absolutely horrendous. I don't want to over-egg it but it's probably the worst flu-like symptoms I've had as an adult. I was up all night in three duvets shivering then changed beds at 5am, spread'eagled naked under an open window. All the while aching everywhere. Feverish imagination/hallucination. Genuinely awful.

So after a completely sleepless night I did the unthinkable and called in sick, spent the day resting. Next day, almost completely fine. They say the second one is worse - I'm positive it can't be.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 am

Tommy wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm
So it turned out when I rang up and searched my NHS number, because of me heart condition I had when I was a child (that I feel has no impact on my everyday life) I was considered both at risk and at the front of the queue (ish) for the vaccine and had 'already missed one appointment/call to arms'.

Anyway, went out to the Nightingale to have my vaccine on Wednesday. Had too much coffee and no food before I went which resulted in me thinking that for the first time in my life I would faint before an injection. Didn't in the end. They had people at the 'corner's of the queue chatting with patients which really helped. Very efficient operation tbh, quite impressed and the people they had at various points would allay people's fears.

Queue was probably 30 mins but after that, less than ten mins. Back home and back to work within two hours (inc. travel).

The aftermath, for me, was absolutely horrendous. I don't want to over-egg it but it's probably the worst flu-like symptoms I've had as an adult. I was up all night in three duvets shivering then changed beds at 5am, spread'eagled naked under an open window. All the while aching everywhere. Feverish imagination/hallucination. Genuinely awful.

So after a completely sleepless night I did the unthinkable and called in sick, spent the day resting. Next day, almost completely fine. They say the second one is worse - I'm positive it can't be.
Which one did you have? The second Pfizer one is supposedly worse, but for Astrazeneca it's the opposite, first is worst, second easier.