The 'I Just Bought' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Strudel

Re: The 'I Just Bought' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by Strudel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

Strudel wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:43 am
Also, I built a PC for the first time just after Christmas. When I find the photos I'll post them.
These recent posts have reminded me of this, so here it is:

Basically it was the tower and everything in it that was new (with the exception of two hard drives I kept).

It took DPD FIVE FUCKING ATTEMPTS to deliver the bits that were coming via them. FFS DPD.

And here it is as of 10 minutes ago:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Nice rig mate. I was going to get the 8600k but the 9600k was actually slightly cheaper.
My stuff came from DPD but I had it delivered to a local store to pick up to prevent the probs you had. Had probs with them more than once.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil
Age is just a number that signifies your relative probability of imminent death.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 am

Yeah, after that cluster fuck I basically won't use any company that delivers with DPD. They are astonishingly crap around here.

Sounds like you got a good deal on your CPU then! I'm not sure the 9600k was even out yet when I bought all this about a year ago.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:39 pm

Both of those new builds are missing one important item: an M.2 NVMe drive. They're little tiny circuit-board looking things that attach directly to a port on the motherboard and use the PCIe interface instead of SATA, so they are blindingly fast, even compared to a modern SSD over SATA III.

Also, the 1080p monitor is a waste – give me 1440p or give me death! Plus, high-framerate monitors are freakin' awesome. Highly recommend that over 4K any day.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

My monitor is over three years old now, so it was pretty awesome when I got it but yeah, a higher refresh rate would be nice. Still, it was fucking expensive so I'm not changing it any time soon. ¬_¬

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:42 pm

I was going to get an nvme drive but I read on a few sites that whilst it would have made a big difference for workstation tasks the difference for gaming was small enough to not make it worth replacing a working sata3 drive.
If they continue to drop in price I may change my mind ofc :)
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil
Age is just a number that signifies your relative probability of imminent death.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:14 am

Yeah, the NVME drives are REMARKABLY low in price compared to even 9 months ago.
I'm feeling anew build coming on soon, but it feels like one of those "I want to spend something" rather than I need a new rig....The new Ryzens look like they are shaping up nicely....
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry