Post by Medicine Man » Wed May 13, 2020 3:41 pm

arqueturus

Re: Unreal Engine 5

Post by arqueturus » Wed May 13, 2020 3:52 pm

Spangly. Looks so real it feels like FMV all over again :D

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed May 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Our engines so great we had to tie her hair up in one big lump because we can’t handle tressfx.

Looks nice but I really looking forward to the audio. They’re all talking up next gen audio since it’s felt pretty stagnant since early 360. I don’t think anything’s done better than Lost Planet 1 did in all this time.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed May 13, 2020 4:09 pm

What was so great about Lost Planet's audio? I don't recall.

The big thing with the new generation of hardware seems to be advanced lighting and shader processing with things like ray tracing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed May 13, 2020 4:12 pm

It was just very oomphy and directional, you could really pinpoint where you were being charged from just by audio. Hyperbole I’m sure but I just can’t remember going “wow!” at any game audio since then.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Blimey, that's impressive. I've been saying for years how much of a difference lighting makes in creating believable worlds, and this is a great demonstration.

How practical is creating game assets using photogrammetry? Will game developers of the future be location scouting instead of building their own worlds?

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed May 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Impressively done, but if there is going to be a new age of photorealistic visuals, I hope they don't lose sight of keeping some character and quirkiness to how a game looks.

I like how different games have their own particular animation style and overall visual vibe.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed May 13, 2020 6:43 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:12 pm
It was just very oomphy and directional, you could really pinpoint where you were being charged from just by audio. Hyperbole I’m sure but I just can’t remember going “wow!” at any game audio since then.
Try Hunt: Showdown. A lot of the audio cues in that game let you track player movement from right across the map, whether it's the distant echo of gunfire or the sound of a flock of birds being spooked into the sky. And for when you're up close you can hear enemy footsteps as you all crouch-walk slowly around a compound trying to flush each other out. It's an absolute treat to play with headphones on.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Maturin wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:19 pm
Impressively done, but if there is going to be a new age of photorealistic visuals, I hope they don't lose sight of keeping some character and quirkiness to how a game looks.

I like how different games have their own particular animation style and overall visual vibe.
That is a good point ! I recall watching Ubi's E3 presentations last year, all with photo-realistic shooty shooty and I could not tell the games apart - it all became a big pile of samey
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4