Mice

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Snowy
Local

Re: Mice

Post by Snowy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Just checked and my mousemat is OLD. 21 years old to be precise, I got it along with the original Terratec Mystify Razer Boomslang, the first Razer peripheral before Razer was even a brand, and been using it ever since. The textured plastic is worn smooth in the main mousey space :) I was gifted the mouse and mat by a mate who worked at Thrustmaster, they got loads of peripherals to look at and he had a spare mouse and mat.

https://ibb.co/R6791ny
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Bought the 502 - £30 quid on Curry’s right now for anybody looking at a replacement. Code - FNDDGAMING

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 am

You will not regret that for an instant.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:27 am

Snowy wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 am
You will not regret that for an instant.
Honestly don't know how I lasted without that scrolling option for so long. Haven't had a chance to use it in a game yet but work-wise, I'm flying through documents.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:48 am

I've been using those Logitech free spinning scroll wheels for 13 years now. It's difficult to go back to one without it, though I don't think they're really suitable for games. I turn on the clicking action when playing something, otherwise I end up accidentally switching weapons all the time.

I am having issues with my current G502's where the page will wobble up and down for a few seconds after scrolling. The mouse is 4 years old and has probably been used for 4 or 5 hours a day at least during that time. I was considering picking up one of the newer wireless options over the black Friday period, but they never came down in price much, and I couldn't really justify the expense.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:56 pm

My plan to use it for bunny hopping purposes on CS didn't work. I don't know why I thought it would, looking back.

Are the weights of any consequence? I don't understand how they can have a noticeable effect.

EDIT: I've filled it with the weights now, but I don't really see how it'll be beneficial, doesn't add that much heft.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:19 pm

I've had two or three mice with customisable weights, and I can't say I've ever noticed a difference when using them. I've been using my G502 without them for years, so I stuck them in to experiment. They're only 35g a piece, so with the full set of five you're only adding 175g. Perhaps that makes a difference to people who do nothing but consume stimulants and play Counterstrike all day, but for me it doesn't even register as being different. I did at first think I could feel a change, but that turned out to be the cover (which is on the underside of the mouse) not quite being shut properly.

Perhaps if you buy a specifically lightweight mouse it can considerably change the feel, but the G502 is probably considered quite heavy.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:25 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:19 pm
I've had two or three mice with customisable weights, and I can't say I've ever noticed a difference when using them. I've been using my G502 without them for years, so I stuck them in to experiment. They're only 35g a piece, so with the full set of five you're only adding 175g. Perhaps that makes a difference to people who do nothing but consume stimulants and play Counterstrike all day, but for me it doesn't even register as being different. I did at first think I could feel a change, but that turned out to be the cover (which is on the underside of the mouse) not quite being shut properly.

Perhaps if you buy a specifically lightweight mouse it can considerably change the feel, but the G502 is probably considered quite heavy.
Are they not 3.6g each?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm

Oh. :lol:

Yeah, I misread them. 18g is absolutely nothing.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:34 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm
Oh. :lol:

Yeah, I misread them. 18g is absolutely nothing.
I don't even understand where the fifth one goes, so 14.4g :lol:

Regardless, you were all right. I feel sorry for my old mouse, but I've no idea why I've been using it for so long. I haven't yet worked out if the software is correctly switching between profiles for games, but that's also an excellent feature.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:40 pm

I did initially use the profiles for certain games, but the software would very occasionally just forget them and I'd have to set them up again. Eventually I just stopped bothering, and I have three generic DPI settings that I can switch around instead. A high setting for normal windows use, a medium setting for shooters, and a low setting that's only really there to give the sniper button (incidentally a feature I couldn't live without now) something to switch to.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:45 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:40 pm
I did initially use the profiles for certain games, but the software would very occasionally just forget them and I'd have to set them up again. Eventually I just stopped bothering, and I have three generic DPI settings that I can switch around instead. A high setting for normal windows use, a medium setting for shooters, and a low setting that's only really there to give the sniper button (incidentally a feature I couldn't live without now) something to switch to.
...The sniper button?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:07 pm

You can bind a button to quickly shift to another DPI setting while held. If you set this to a lower sensitivity, you effectively make your movements slower which is really handy for lining up shots with high accuracy weapons.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:31 pm

I could see why that would be useful. Don't play enough games that it would be useful for anymore.

Also separate question - If i set profiles using the software, are they saved in the mouse's memory? Ie. if I plug it into my work laptop will it keep button settings etc.?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:07 am

I've assigned buttons for Spotify. I'm living a whole new life now; I had 6 buttons on my old mouse and never used them!

What was I thinking?!