New TV Recommendation

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Mantis
Landlord

New TV Recommendation

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:47 pm

So, my Philips is becoming very annoying to watch as the glue on the LED covers inside the screen has melted and the caps have fallen off in five separate places now. Frustratingly poor build quality because the TV is only four years old.

As such, I'm strongly considering investing in something a bit higher quality (this budget 4k model was only £450 after all). The problem is, what? I'm very skeptical about certain brands that are highly priced but put out dodgy models quite frequently (I've had problems with two LG TVs in the past that required expensive repairs). Sony tend to be high quality screens in my experience though I've had issues with the firmware before.

I don't want to go over £1250 if possible, though there is scope for it if necessary. Something suitable for running my PS5 into, 4k, ideally a 55" screen though I could fit up to 60, decent HDR.

Any words of wisdom? The TV market is a bit of a crapshoot for me.

Pew-Pew

Re: New TV Recommendation

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:01 pm

If you want to go for OLED LG is probably the best bet, despite your misgivings about them.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:12 pm

OLED would probably be a safe bet for future proofing, though I hadn't really given it much consideration. I'm not sure how unfounded concerns are with them regarding burn in when playing console games on them.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:13 pm

As long as you're not using them as a monitor/constantly watching news on them, it's not really something to worry about. Especially if you are playing a variety of things/watching films etc. The HDR is perfect too, each pixel is a 'dimming zone'

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:49 pm

I've found this a great site for tv reviews and actually calibrating the thing when you get it https://www.rtings.com/
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:08 pm

Very helpful, cheers. A few different sources, the above included, all seem to point towards the LG C1 as a significant contender.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Just make sure you get a very long, nice fat warranty if you're getting an LG!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 pm

I'm considering upgrading my TV in the near future (possibly around Black Friday if the right deal comes up). One thing I've found in looking at options is how devious specifications can be, particularly when it comes to refresh rates. One of the supposed big features for next gen consoles is variable refresh rate (VRR, basically G-sync / Freesync), and while some TVs will list this as a feature along with 120hz gaming capability, what they fail to mention is that they only support VRR at 60hz. VRR at 120hz is available, but it's worth researching if a specific TV model supports it.

Also make sure it has HDMI sockets that support HDMI 2.1 for next-gen gaming (4K blu ray only needs 2.0).

I've already saved up £1200 for a new gaming PC, which now seems pointless in the next year given the GPU availability issues (and my gaming laptop is still decent), so my budget is pretty open. Something around £1500 is probably fine, though I'm tempted to go a bit silly and future-proof myself with this beauty, especially if it goes on offer:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-ho ... 9-pdt.html

My current TV is a Sony (a fairly low-end 4k model), and while it has its quirks, I've generally been very satisfied with it. Sony feels like a safe bet, but I'm prepared to entertain other brands if a compelling option comes along.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:38 pm

Blimey, that's pricey given its only a 55" screen.

I haven't looked into the VRR features too much at the moment. I'd be surprised if we saw all that many titles supporting up to 120fps this console cycle anyway. Maybe after a mid-generation upgrade.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:46 am

that's crazy money. I picked up a 65'' OLED LG TV for £1600 from Richer Sounds.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:56 am

Mantis wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:38 pm
Blimey, that's pricey given its only a 55" screen.
I don’t think screen size is a huge factor in price these days, plus 55” is about the limit of what I can fit in my living room. £2700 is admittedly overboard considering the model down from that is £1500 and has the vast majority of the same features and quality. Bear in mind I’ve only been looking for a couple of days, so I’ve not been beaten down by reality yet. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:36 am

By a stroke of luck, the more reasonable one I was looking at is on discount, so I’ve gone for it:

https://www.richersounds.com/sony-bravia-xr55a80ju.html

£1300 with a 6 month guarantee and £100 of PS store credit. I am a happy chappy.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:26 pm

If you want to future proof a Sony TV make sure it's got the Bravia XR processor on it because that's likely to last longer.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:36 am
By a stroke of luck, the more reasonable one I was looking at is on discount, so I’ve gone for it:

https://www.richersounds.com/sony-bravia-xr55a80ju.html

£1300 with a 6 month guarantee and £100 of PS store credit. I am a happy chappy.
good buy. I like RS service.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:34 pm

Finally got it setup properly. Good gravy does it look pretty! Crystal clear, no distortion around fast movement like my old TV has, perfect and vivid colours… it’s stunning.