Backup / Syncing solutions

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Raid
Local

Backup / Syncing solutions

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:50 am

After being more than a little spooked by the complete and utter failure of OneDrive in keeping my files safe earlier this month (I wasn't even trying to use the damned thing, it just decided to delete my entire photo collection because it was syncing stuff without permission), I'm wanting to get a backup and syncing solution setup. I have three PCs and a phone that I'd ideally want this to work with, and while Dropbox seems to offer everything I want, the free solution is increasingly untenable as it only works with a total of 3 devices and is very limited on space. The £7.99 monthly fee for their premium service is an option, but I feel like there has to be something cheaper out there. I mostly like Dropbox because of how seamless it is, automatically syncing things, keeping them in a completely transparent file system where I can work on files stored there with local software, and it'll update things when appropriate. While I'd generally prefer to work with a separate copy than one stored in the backup, the extremely limited storage space I have on the two laptops makes this awkward. I regularly work on the same files on multiple machines. Dropbox also works with my Android phone to move any photos I take with it to my PCs within seconds, making sharing entirely painless through Windows software.

I've used CBackup before, but I didn't like that you had to schedule syncing rather than it happening automatically whenever a file changed - quite frequently I'd work on a file, then shut down my PC just before the scheduled backup time and have to switch it back on again to be able to work on the file on one of the other machines.

Any thoughts?