Tech assistance required!

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Tommy

Re: Tech assistance required!

Post by Tommy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:32 pm

eny wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:13 pm
Do you have 2 strips? If so, remove one and test, then swap to see if both have gone...check the channel orientation for your mobo, as to which slot to use just one in. RAM posts before GFX so if it is faulty memory you wouldn't get video.
But would I get lights on my keyboard and mouse?

I only have one strip, so I’m probably just going to buy one.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:05 pm

Just make sure it's been re-seated properly if you've tried removing it.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 pm

I am posting from my (previously bricked) PC!

I'm unsure what the problem was really. I unplugged everything again and replugged everything in, and it seems to have regained life.

Hopefully it stands the test of use...Assuming that it was something to do with the RAM, why would RAM suddenly need reseating?

Thanks for all the help people - I really appreciate it (it nearly met its end from a first floor window).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:53 pm

Tommy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:30 pm
Hopefully it stands the test of use...Assuming that it was something to do with the RAM, why would RAM suddenly need reseating?
Heat expansion used to be the reason. As the PC heats and cools during use and downtime, the RAM can incrementally creep out of the correct alignment. Most mobos have clips to hold them in place these days though which makes it more unlikely.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:22 pm

Were the sticks re-seated in the same slots as before? I had an issue earlier this year with an old PC refurb where it was randomly crashing, and it ended with one of the RAM slots bursting into flame. I think it was the DDR controller at fault, though.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:22 pm
Were the sticks re-seated in the same slots as before? I had an issue earlier this year with an old PC refurb where it was randomly crashing, and it ended with one of the RAM slots bursting into flame. I think it was the DDR controller at fault, though.
It’s reseated in the same one.

I think I’ll just accept it’s fixed until it breaks again. I think I’ll buy a second stick for the other slot and should it happen again, there’s a hopefully ready made solution!

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:53 pm
Tommy wrote:
Heat expansion used to be the reason. As the PC heats and cools during use and downtime, the RAM can incrementally creep out of the correct alignment. Most mobos have clips to hold them in place these days though which makes it more unlikely.
Yeah this is clips. I didn’t realise that was a newer (relatively) thing. Every motherboard I think I’ve ever touched had clips!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:20 pm

Tommy wrote:
I am posting from my (previously bricked) PC!

I'm unsure what the problem was really. I unplugged everything again and replugged everything in, and it seems to have regained life.

Thanks for all the help people - I really appreciate it (it nearly met its end from a first floor window).
Worth running a memory test just to check the RAM is all OK.