The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
elgaucho

Re: The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by elgaucho » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:40 pm

well in the spirit of disclosure, I found my first issue / bug.
I have a couple of neato robotics Vacuum cleaners (A D5 and a D7, these things are amazing and great value!). They connected reasonably fine on day (slight connection bug, but nothing a restart of the vacuum couldn't sort), and I thought i was done and dusted.

Then yesterday they both dropped off the network and i couldn't go through the setup process. It turns out the Neato's need a clean handoff from the home wifi signal to the device in order to be set up.

And it seems the Neato's don't play nice with the mesh feature called "fast roaming" which is meant to proactively swap you to the best mesh node rather than waiting for your signal to deteriorate.

I switched that on LATER, after i had set up the Neato's. And those are causing the drop out. So when i tried to connect the Neato it would just say "unable to join the network".

Thankfull Neato customer support is AMAZING. Opened up a chat with a fellow from there and he talked me through troubleshooting and diagnostics, and we narrowed it down to this feature. So yay to Erum the support tech! I've asked him to raise it as a point for future firmware if it's an issue, so we'll see, but for now i'll have to keep fast roaming switched off.

I'm thinking i should post a separate review of the neato's now.... or did i just pimp them enough? :lol:
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:50 pm

I figure as I've already done the research and reading I'll share some of the reading i did on it:

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-wi- ... sh-routers
https://www.techradar.com/news/best-wir ... sh-routers
https://mightygadget.co.uk/tp-link-deco ... bi-rbk852/
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/tp-link-deco-x60
https://www.t3.com/reviews/tp-link-deco ... sh-network

Very useful little table to compare different TP Link options as they have a HUGE mesh section, and mostly interchangeable bits:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2423/

There were also a number of youtube videos and aggregator reviews.

If i'd decided wireless backhaul was important, I might have gone for the Asus RT-AX92U.
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:02 pm

A little over a week ago the postman brought me a Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 as a replacement for my aging Fitbit Charge 2.
The Fitbit has been a useful tool but it was never a particularly good watch. Not only was there no option for the display to remain on at all times, the wrist flick motion that turned the screen on only worked maybe 75% of the time, frequently requiring a second attempt. I was also never particularly confident in Fitbit's algorithm for working out calorie burning; walking at my usual pace (probably faster than average but hardly power walking) burned the same number of calories as pushing hard on an exercise bike for the same duration.

Anyway, for a replacement I needed something that was a) Android compatible which ruled out the Apple Watch entirely and b) had enough of a focus on health features to support my recent lifestyle change that has dramatically improved my mental health. I also wanted something that looks good, but that has an OS that isn't too rough around the edges. There are tons of good looking options from companies using Google's WearOS, but the OS itself is seemingly a pain to deal with. That basically left Samsung, and they were just launching this latest model. I bought it knowing full well that it was never going to be useful enough to warrant the £419 price tag for this bluetooth-only 45mm model, but having used it for a week I'm not regretting it.

The screen is lovely and bright, perfectly readable even in direct sunlight, and even using the always-on display the battery lasts from waking up to going to bed on a single charge. I don't really get the need to have a device run for multiple days between charges; unless I get into the routine of charging it each night then I forget to do it, and I have to do it with my phone anyway. It comes with an adorable little Qi charging puck that you just drop it onto, which is leagues better than the rubbish alligator-clip contraption that I had to use for the Fitbit. I secured it to my desk with blu tak, as magnets in the puck secure the watch to it and make sure it's in the right spot to charge correctly. It's as effortless as putting the thing down on a desk.

I also wanted something that integrated well with Spotify, as I listen to music for a good 40-50 minutes a day walking to and from work. Having the ability to see what I'm listening to (I tend to use Spotify's 'made for you' playlists) without having to pull my phone out of my pocket is handy. I have the option of connecting my headphones to the watch itself and listening to downloaded music, which will be handy if I ever get bored of the exercise bike and start going for rides outdoors.

Notification support is good but not perfect. I can view and even respond to Whats App messages from the watch itself, using either a list of pre-programmed replies (that you can customise and add to), or a T9-style predictive text keypad, to even allowing you to trace letters on the touchscreen. It doesn't however seem to pick up Facebook messenger or actual text messages, though these are limited by Android's implementation of those functions on the phone (I could choose to switch to Samsung's text messaging app if I wanted to send these from the phone, but I mostly communicate in whats app these days). I can read full emails, see pictures from whats app, and I can even make phone calls from the thing if I decide to ever become a lunatic or Dick Tracy cosplayer.

About my only irritation with it is nothing to do with the watch itself, but Samsung's phone apps. Both the Wearable and Health apps have adverts that take up a third of the screen, that you hide by scrolling, but if I'm spending this amount of money on a product I expect not to have that same product continue to be advertised back at me by the supporting software. I know these apps aren't solely for use with the watch, but it's a little intrusive. Also there's the Bixby support; you can't choose your voice command assistant with this and you're forced to use the rubbish one that Samsung still insist is a viable alternative to Alexa or Google Assistant, and it's just a waste of time. I mostly use assistants for setting cooking timers or turning on my Hue lights, but I'm better off just using the watch's built in timer app.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:54 pm

It’s when you’ve left your phone at home and you’re standing in Morrison’s talking to your better half on your watches speakerphone that you know you’ve gone too far.

Not that I’ve done that, theoretically speaking you know 8-[
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:17 am

Just bought my first mechanical keyboard.

This is what a keyboard should sound like. Now if I can just get used to where the enter key is...

One little gripe I have with modern PC technology - why does everything have to have multi-coloured lighting?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm

It's pretty easy to buy a keyboard that doesn't have RGB. I personally like having the option of changing the look of my peripherals on a whim, but I mostly use the illumination for easier recognition of keys through the nose gap of my VR headset.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm
It's pretty easy to buy a keyboard that doesn't have RGB. I personally like having the option of changing the look of my peripherals on a whim, but I mostly use the illumination for easier recognition of keys through the nose gap of my VR headset.
My problem isn't that it's there, it's that I don't seem to have the option to turn it off.

Regardless, I've chosen a setting which I'm warming to now. Fairly non-invase. This message is drawling so I can listen to the sound of the keys tapping. Tap, tap, tap...

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Are there additional options available for turning off the lights within the software controller? Assuming you haven't already tried.

My Corsair has a few cycled options with the button on the keyboard itself but a whole load of extra customisation choices open up when you install their software.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 am

Tommy wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 pm
Raid wrote:
My problem isn't that it's there, it's that I don't seem to have the option to turn it off.

Regardless, I've chosen a setting which I'm warming to now. Fairly non-invase. This message is drawling so I can listen to the sound of the keys tapping. Tap, tap, tap...
There should be a brightness setting in the software that if you turn it all the way down will turn the lights off.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:23 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 am
Tommy wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 pm
Raid wrote:

There should be a brightness setting in the software that if you turn it all the way down will turn the lights off.
The instructions had a back-page. They should make people like me hand their degrees in. :x

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:36 pm

I bought one of those Orange jap Vitas and it’s beautiful! Love it! :mrgreen:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Who said that Friday the 13th was unlucky? :D

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Bought one of those Ipad magic keyboards. That is a lovely thing. The build of the hinges is so nice, the feel of opening it, the look of it, the backlight and the way it just floats your ipad is just magic. It's a pity the typing on the thing is shite. The number of reviews that say things like "a premium typing experience" well balls it is. Yeah of course they've made sacrifices for size and girth but for the asking price they've cut way too many corners and I feel like the Brydge ones actually felt much better for little extra thickness. I remember having a feel of the folio keyboard a year or so ago and it felt pretty bad so maybe it's a premium typing experience next to that. :-k At half the price I might keep it but even thats a big maybe.

Back to the awkwardness of sticking my K811 in a bag again because this thing is going back :(

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:31 am

Well, with the demise of the shift key on my logitech G15, i was forced to look for a replacement keyboard recently.

This was a painful exercise, despite some of the recommendations this forum has made. I'm not a big fan of the clack clack clack of mechanical keyboards, regardless of how smooth or comfortable they may be.

Had it been an option, i would have certainly just bought a replacement G15, but those are no longer available. Online comments seemed to suggest the Logitech G910 as a suitable successor, so I bit the bullet and picked one up. That price tho... for a keyboard :shock:

That said... I've been using this thing for three or so weeks... it's comfortable, it's responsive...i do find the key depth is high, so it feels like i'm really pressing the keys to type, but it seems to work. It does clack clack, which i don't like, but i do like the hotkeys to enable / disable lighting, the scroll volume slider, and some of the lighting settings you can download and make are pretty funky.

I do NOT like that the logitech software is incompatible with the now not supported logitech G700s mouse. So to use two logitech products, I'd have to uninstall one software in order to install the other one. WOW Logitech... wow.

So i'm settled into my fate, but Logitech definitely lost credibility with their shitty ass software support.

A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:35 am

I used one of those for about a year before replacing it with a ten-key-less Corsair model. I really liked the keyswitches, but I absolutely hated the keycaps.