The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Hatredsheart

Re: The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 pm

1Tb flavour. Given the size of some of the upcoming games I'm intending to get now seems to be a good time to go bigger on capacity. Seeing as this one isn't much costlier then a sata ssd and a few times the speed it's a no brainer.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Yeah, I did the same a while back. My boot drive is a fancy Samsung "Pro" NVMe jobbie, then a year or so later I needed more space to so got a cheaper, "slow"er one from… Crucial, I think? It's still monstrously fast, just not quite so as the boot one. I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference tbh.
Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:51 am

Razer Tartarus v2
I hate this thing and it's going right back. It has something they call "mechamembrane" keys which just means they put a stupid click about 2/3s the way down the key travel. It feels absolutly horrible and the old v1 tartarus felt way better though it has many other flaws. Its not all that ergonomic either. The "space bar" is too far down to comfortably hit as often as you do the space. Theres a button above the dpad that would be ideal to use but its a really shit cheapo button so much so that I ended up using up on the dpad. It works fine I suppose. Keys all still feel like turd though. I really cant unrecommend this enough. Thats a word, right? :-k

My quest for something to replace the old wearing out G13 continues. If the G13, wireless with a much larger stick would be my dream peripheraly thing.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm

What do you actually call that style of peripheral? I do have a G13 somewhere, but I don't think I've used it since my World of Warcraft days. I wouldn't mind a wireless version.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:07 pm

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm
What do you actually call that style of peripheral? I do have a G13 somewhere, but I don't think I've used it since my World of Warcraft days. I wouldn't mind a wireless version.
I think the term for it is "Gaming Keypad"

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:31 am

Still have my original Nostromo n52 (which was definitely the best of the bunch), now replaced by the G13. Great little things if prone to having keys break.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:42 am

A second hand PC! Was it stolen? Who cares its mine now.
This thing is tiny. They stuck a 2060 RTX, i7 8700 with AIO cooler, and a DVD drive in this thing.

I guess it would have been quite expensive at the time, but if I bought it new i'm pretty sure I wouldn't damage the front panel, fit the side panels incorrectly and warp the metalwork, shear some of the top panel hooks and dent them, dent some of the heatsink fins on the RTX card (wtf how do you go about doing that?!), and randomly disconnect the DVD drive.

Quake II RTX looks shiny. Heats up the case to slow egg cooking temps.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm

Bin the DVD drive and stick one of those drive bay sized case fans in there? I mean who uses optical drives in the republic of gamers anyway? A few backwards folk in the Sharkzone I suppose.....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Finally bit the bullet. Four pcs in the house so this'll save me a shit-ton on canned air.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:27 pm

Alan wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:28 pm
Bin the DVD drive and stick one of those drive bay sized case fans in there? I mean who uses optical drives in the republic of gamers anyway? A few backwards folk in the Sharkzone I suppose.....
It's pretty weird seeing a DVD drive on a machine capable of 4k video output. It gets the axe!

I also bought one of those air blowers last year. You won't even remember the initial cost of purchase, it's just so handy and convenient to have around.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 pm

How powerful is the air duster? I ended up dusting my Gundam models a few weeks ago, and tried using my airbrush compressor which really wasn't powerful enough to shift the dust that had been there for years. I ended up buying a cheap set of makeup brushes (which are soft enough not to mark the paint) to do the job instead, but it took an hour.

Abs_McBain

Post by Abs_McBain » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:26 pm

It draws in 550w of power. I wouldn't use it on delicate items, it could blow off anything small held down with adhesive.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:51 am

i never knew this thing existed - added it to my basket. I will save me a fortune on cans.

btw - does anyone else get a sad daddy thrill from cleaning their PC ? Yep life has got that sad for me :lol:
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:55 pm

I've been looking for a Mesh Wifi system for several months, but hesitating on whether to get a Wifi 6 supported one, just so I'm future proofed. I mean it's not like i'm going to need to replace the thing for 10 years or more, so I was willing to wait a bit.

I've finally settled on one of the new TP-Link Deco X60's. It doesn't have a dedicated wireless backhaul (i.e. a dedicated channel for data from the outlying nodes to send data back to the primary node, which keeps performance up on busy networks), but as I have ethernet wiring in every room of the house, I can benefit from a wired backhaul, should it ever become an issue. (it won't really).

Costs are higher than what I would have ordinarily wanted to pay, but the price difference between current and next gen mesh systems meant i was definitely going wifi6. pre orders for them were at around the Β£400 mark on Amazon, so my thinking was to get the cheaper Deco X20 instead, but i couldn't resist when i saw a Deco X60 set at Β£300. I think covid has significantly delayed shipping on this product so it's not as easy to find as I'd hoped.

I've had it installed for day - set up was very quick and easy. Adding a node is literally plug and play. It has a few features and security and family controls i won't be using but are nice to have if you need that kind of thing. The most annoying thing was moving all devices to the new wifi channel, notably the Sonos, which are far more annoying than they should be to move networks. I currently have two of the three nodes it came with covering four floors, and reception is good everywhere, so i'm pretty happy. I'll add the third one somewhere if it appears there would be value add.

And while it was only a minor inconvenience, it is nice not having to swap wifi channels each time i change floors, or having to check which channel i'm on, or waiting the 10-15 seconds for the connection to establish. So my powerline+powerline wifi nodes are pretty retired for now. I've also disabled my router wifi to prevent any unnecessary congestion.

It's a small luxury, but if they last me the time i expect, it'll work out at around Β£0.09 a day, and tbh i expect them to last possibly twice that long. :)

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:38 pm

I've just started down this rabbit-hole, glad to come across this excellent write-up. I've been eyeing up the TP-Link ones that use ethernet-over-power as their back-haul as you call it, and I only need 2 (signal upstairs is shite). Good to know their similar products review well.
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.