The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Alan

Re: The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by Alan » Fri May 20, 2022 1:28 pm

Drarok wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:19 pm
How tall are you, out of interest?

I keep going back and forth on whether or not to get one, and everyone I know who bit the bullet says I should.
Just over 6'1" and its the Titan R I went with. It is fine, it holds the pillow right where I need it to be but the magnetic hold isnt quite as strong as it is lower down so any quick dunts can make it fall off. Generally youre not giving any quick dunts to your chair mind you so its not the biggest problem.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri May 20, 2022 3:03 pm

Should be a good size for me then, ta!

They have a fabric option too rather than pleather… Tempting!
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat May 21, 2022 9:10 am

Alan wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:10 am
It is firm but its not bad.
I found it made the old arse a bit numb when I first got mine, as it didn't really have any give to it. It does soften over time and moulds to you nicely without the foam ever flattening, so a little firmness initially is a worthwhile price to pay.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:31 am

After using generic headphones I picked up for £10 in an Amazon lightning sale two years ago (I'm a cheap date, call me) I decided it was about time to give my ears a bit of a transitional treat and ordered myself a pair of https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/product ... 00770.html. While I'm no audiophile it will be nice to have some true 7.1 at long last.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Nice, expect the pad helps keep them comfortable. I have a Steel Series one with an elastic band that kinds suspends the headphone on your skull, so you don't get that crushed head feeling, these look a similar thought process.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:34 am

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:55 pm
I have a Steel Series one with an elastic band that kinds suspends the headphone on your skull, so you don't get that crushed head feeling,
My slightly older Logitechs have that. They're fairly comfortable.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 pm

This 7.1 surround is going to take some getting used to, already had a number of instances of sound effects in even a simple Netflix movie had me pausing thinking I'm hearing things outside or within the house. A baby crying, a door knocking and footsteps that walked all around me in the attic above. So clear and directional, I never heard such things before.

I sound like I just discovered fire. :oops:
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:34 pm

Somehow managed to get my hands on a PS5, it came this morning. Its massive, ugly and very noisy with a disk in the drive. Only tried some PS4 games on it as I've no PS5 ones. Everything runs great though.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:35 am

Airpods 3
They fucked it up. To my ears the sound is a downgrade to the 2's. Slightly less bass, slightly less defined mids and slightly harsher highs. The stems are now squeeze instead of tap which makes a lot of sense on the sealed pros but tapping is way more convenient on an unsealed bud, especially with the shorter stems. Add to that that you cant customise the controls at all - both buds are 1-pause, 2-skip, 3-back, longsqueeze- siri which isnt what I want dagnabbit! They're also a little harder to get out of the charging case but thats probably something muscle memory will take care of.
The pros; head tracked spatial audio is here now and its still quite amazing but also pretty useless on a walk around earbud. Non-tracked spatial audio is pretty decent and kind of almost makes up for the poorer sound quality in a way that makes me wonder if they tuned their drivers for spatial audio instead of stereo? Also an hour more bud battery life and 6 more case battery is welcome.

I'll probably keep them just because of the battery life and when I'm using buds I'm generally listening to podcasts or lower volume background music but they are really disappointing. Fucking hate stem squeeze!

Logitech G Pro X
Got it for a fiver as "spare or repairs". The S was missing, the W and A were split across the top and switches beneath were unseated. I think he raged out after losing a game and smashed his hand down on the WASD area and thought it was done for. I have no proof but its what my sherlock brain tells me. Reseated the switches, bought a cheapo WASD set and its working perfect. I think I hate blue switches though so happy I only spent a fiver on it. May replace them, not sure yet. :-k Probably just go back to my K63 that I had planned to keep in the lapboard for TV play.

Okiboard
Had my eye on Hitboxes for a while. I initially wanted a Snackbox Micro but the poor USD/GBP and duties and tax were going to make it £250+ which was off-putting and on top of that the waiting list for them meant September and I'm impatient. Then on top of all that the current Brooks boards dont work with PS5 and I dont think its easily upgradable. Then I found Okiboard. Its not as compact as the Snackbox but its made by a chap in Oxford who is really nice and helpful and its rather nice looking. Its also fully upgradable easily and has front and back plexi for custom art. I do however think it looks amazing from the back and wouldnt want to do back art ;)

"WTF is that?" I hear you say. Its essentially an arcade stick with big cursor keys except up/jump is at the bottom where a space bar would be.

So I used to play Third Strike (a lot of the time with Boomy) for hours and hours and I pretty much used a keyboard constantly. It was good times. I figured picking up a hitbox would be like slipping into some old slippers but man was I wrong! I'm getting there and its only took a couple of hours but the jump on the thumb like a spacebar just did my head in for ages. I'm still not comfortable at all with charge characters (Chun Li being my main since forever so thats a problem). Its not the fault of the controller, the fault is my brain but I'll get there.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:37 am

Alan wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:35 am
Okiboard
"WTF is that?" I hear you say. Its essentially an arcade stick with big cursor keys except up/jump is at the bottom where a space bar would be.
Where is the stick?
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:51 am

Snowy wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:37 am
Alan wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:35 am
Okiboard
Where is the stick?
You don’t want to know 8-[

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:06 pm

How does that even work?

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:05 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:06 pm
How does that even work?

The thinking is traditional cursor key layout means one finger works two buttons. This layout means you can have a finger for each direction.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:32 pm

No

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:23 pm

I always figured high-level beat-em-up play would be easier with buttons instead of a digital stick, so I can see the logic.