Re: The All Things AMD Thread

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm

:lol:

Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:25 pm

I have an AMD GPU (admittedly a positively ancient one), and while I've not had any real issues with drivers, it feels like nvidia cards get better game support. Whenever a new big game comes out, it always seems to be that nvidia has an updated driver with minor improvements in that title available on release.

That's a previous generation card now, I don't think I'd want to spend £500 on one. They weren't considered competitive with similarly priced nvidia 2000-series cards.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:52 pm

ok

I mean the only Nvidia card I can find sub £600 is this

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-ge ... z-gpu-1755

Also I find it frustrating that in the US they seem to get cards at the same dollar value, if not cheaper, than our GBP equivalent. I know that lump on sales tax because its the usual UK rip off.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:15 pm

Granted I've not looked at stock availability for a while, but from what I remember the 2070 super was marginally better at around the £500 mark.

Unless you're desperate, I think waiting another few months for the new cards to actually be purchasable without sitting hitting F5 constantly is a better idea than buying a last-gen card.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Yeah I can wait. No hurry.

My 970 is doing just fine. I will pick up a 3080 when they hit the £500-£600 mark and you can get them in stock :o

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:24 pm
does any one have an AMD GPU and what are your experiences with the drivers ? Any crashes to desktop, black outs ?

I am in the potential market to upgrade my GPU and this time around it is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. All affordable 3080 cards cannot be bought (thanks bots !) so I was looking at AMD and came across this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercol ... 9b-pc.html

I did some research and found a lot of people are really pissed with the AMD drivers. The consensus is that Nvidia make better drivers but for affordable (sub £600) GPU AMD are knocking it out of the park. I am thinking about this card but there are a lot of mixed reviews.

5700XT runs sweet with the latest drivers now. It was buggy at launch though. I've been running AMD cards since I swapped from the 8800GT and rarely get any issues with games. Currently on a Vega 64 waiting to snap up the 6800XT. Since it's nearly £200 cheaper than the 3080 for near enough same performance minus raytracing which is something I 'm not fusssed over.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:40 am

Lee wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:50 pm
Achtung Englander wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:24 pm
does any one have an AMD GPU and what are your experiences with the drivers ? Any crashes to desktop, black outs ?

I am in the potential market to upgrade my GPU and this time around it is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. All affordable 3080 cards cannot be bought (thanks bots !) so I was looking at AMD and came across this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercol ... 9b-pc.html

I did some research and found a lot of people are really pissed with the AMD drivers. The consensus is that Nvidia make better drivers but for affordable (sub £600) GPU AMD are knocking it out of the park. I am thinking about this card but there are a lot of mixed reviews.

5700XT runs sweet with the latest drivers now. It was buggy at launch though. I've been running AMD cards since I swapped from the 8800GT and rarely get any issues with games. Currently on a Vega 64 waiting to snap up the 6800XT. Since it's nearly £200 cheaper than the 3080 for near enough same performance minus raytracing which is something I 'm not fusssed over.
The 6800XT is only £50 cheaper than the 3080 RRP wise. It's not just RT that the AMD cards miss out on, Nvidia also has DLSS which allows the card to use AI to upscale resolutions. It's still something developers have to code for but it's a pretty great piece of tech.

Lee

Post by Lee » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 am

RRP isn't what it's being sold for though. I can put in a preorder for the 6800XT for £680 but for a 3080 it's £800 and upwards depending on the brand.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.