Keyboard Recommendations

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Mantis
Landlord

Keyboard Recommendations

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:19 pm

We pretty much have a forum standard for speakers and mice, but keyboards are seldom touched upon.

I have a Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard and it's on its last legs. Key presses seem to register three times so I'm constantly editing myself to stop my sentences reading like thisss, and more often than not the space bar and comma keys don't work at all without hammering them repeatedly.

I have not enjoyed having this keyboard, even when it worked properly the keystrokes are just far too loud. I don't really use all the macro options either as I have plenty of them built into my mouse buttons.

What brand is everyone else using and would you recommend it?

Raid
Local

Re: Keyboard Recommendations

Post by Raid » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:20 pm

I've been using a Corsair K65 for several years, and I can't really fault it. The feel of each key is perfect, and I can type on it much more quickly than most because of this. That being said, it's probably quite a loud keyboard (it doesn't bother me) so I'm not sure it'd be a good fit for you.

Prior to that I'd used a Logitech G910 Orion Spark, which I replaced because it was gigantic and a waste of desk space, but also because of the god-awful keycaps which were raised slightly too much on the far edge, meaning they were too easy to strike when using the key behind them. The switches felt good, if not quite as positive as the Corsair's, but they were noticeably quieter.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:28 pm

I use the Fnatic Rush.

It's pretty good. Does what I need it to. ie you hit the letters and they appear on screen. I don't really have any need for anything more complex than that. It has a couple of USB ports on it too. One thing I would say though is the cable is off centre and a little on the thick side. Other than that it does the job.

How's that for a ringing endorsement? :D

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:43 pm

I've been using Logitech G series keyboards for about 15 years... can't really see myself changing. I think my G15 is on its last legs, and I can't really find anything in the market that makes me think i'd be happy to let it go...
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:52 pm

I've got a Logitech G810 keyboard which is good, though I can't pretend to be a keyboard expert.

Lee

Post by Lee » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:48 pm

Anything from Corsair or Steelseries is highly recommended,Using K95 Strafe with the G18 keys (Bought brown switches and soldered them in much better imo) and prior was the Steel Series 7G with red switches (quieter). But brown switches are awesome for the little bump on presses.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:59 am

Medicine Man wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:28 pm
I use the Fnatic Rush.

It's pretty good. Does what I need it to. ie you hit the letters and they appear on screen. I don't really have any need for anything more complex than that. It has a couple of USB ports on it too. One thing I would say though is the cable is off centre and a little on the thick side. Other than that it does the job.

How's that for a ringing endorsement? :D
I use a Fnatic Streak keyboard which I picked up in the sales a whole back. Apparently switches are a thing these days, I went with silent red cherry MX switches, whatever they are, because I didn't want a keyboard that went clackety clack when I typed. Mine also has a fat offset cable and a USB port. I moved to it from an old Logitech keyboard I had had forever, it has taken a little while to get used to the slightly different action of the keyboard, but it is pretty nice and has a lovely wrist-rest too.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Slightly embarrassed to admit to using a bog-standard Microsoft keyboard. :oops:

I've just always liked the feel of them when typing, not too clacky, not too spongy, just right.

Lee

Post by Lee » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:34 am

I had the natural hand position type from Microsoft for a long time and found it good till I tried a red cherry mx keyboard and been with cherry style switches since. It was also a lot larger on the desk due to the shape. You can get membrane keyboards from the likes of Corsair, Razer etc for that same feeling.

Blue switches you want to stay away unless you like the rapid clicking sound when typing fast. Sounds like a pen clicking and we all know how annoying that is when someone is doing it constantly near you :P

I just like the way you can mod cherry or Gateron style keyboards to the way you prefer with dampners to stop the bottoming out and softer sound, keycaps choices etc.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:25 am

I've just got a bog standard Logitech Internet Pro keyboard that does the job without any real worries.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:33 am

Logitech G110 here, nothing fancy really although I wouldn't mind a mechanical keyboard.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Razer Lycosa mirror here.
Pretty and comfy.

Tempted by a mechanical but clacky keys and a sleeping 1 year old probably don't mix :)
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:15 pm

I ended up going for the Fnatic Gear Rush as it looks to be one of the best proportioned and at a nice price point. After having spent £100+ on this Razer I'm not convinced that pricey brands really provide much extra bang for their buck.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:21 am

After spending a year with a mechanical keyboard (with crazy-loud blue switches) I've decided that it's not for me. I prefer the feel of a membrane keyboard, and I type faster on them too, so I've gone for a Razer Cynosa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Razer-Individu ... 138&sr=8-3