The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Ah, so if he takes 1 more hit he's not dead-dead, just mostly-dead?

Is there a Miracle Man in Phandalin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:51 pm

A quick overview of how being unconscious, death and healing works:

-When you drop to 0HP, you fall unconscious.

- You then start rolling death saves on each of your turns after that, which is a straight-up D20 roll where 9 or below is a fail and 10 and above is a success (a 1 counts as two fails and a 20 counts as two successes). If you reach three fails, you die. If you reach three successes, you stabilise, which means you're still unconscious but not in immediate danger of dying.

- Any damage taken while unconscious isn't tracked but counts as 1 fail.

- If a single hit would take you to negative HP equal to your max HP, you automatically die. e.g. If your max HP is 20 and you take damage that would take you to -20, you die.

- Another character can use their action to attempt to stabilise an unconscious character with a DC10 medicine check.

- If an unconscious character takes any magical healing (i.e. from a spell or a potion), they immediately regain consciousness and their HP returns to whatever healing they received. They can then rejoin the action on their turn.

- If someone dies, there are various magics that can bring them back to life (some of them have significant consequences). None of you have access to these currently. :lol: Most major towns will have temples where priests could bring someone back, but keep in mind that would likely be VERY expensive and depending on what spells they have, they may not be able to bring back someone who died more than a few minutes/hours/days ago. You could also buy scrolls to return someone to life, but again they would be expensive.

Basically, if you can heal an unconscious character, that's the best option. Next best is stabilising them. Otherwise it's down to dice rolls.

I've also been trying to workout the timeline of what's happened so far. This is what I've come up with:

Day 1: Original party is hired by Gundren and sets out from Neverwinter.
Day 2: Travelling.
Day 3: Goblin raid; goblin cave assaulted and Sildar freed. Journey to Phandalin and late-night assault on the Redbrand manor.
Day 4: Travel to Cragmaw Castle. I'm going to assume there was a rest before entering the castle.
Day 5: Assault on Cragmaw, Gundren freed, Ellis and Van'Skar die. Journey and antics in Thundertree.
Day 6: Travel from Thundertree to near Cragmaw. Cragmaw Castle scouted out.
Day 7: Journey to and antics in Phandalin.
Day 8: Journey to Wave Echo Cave and current events. Probably around lunchtime where we left off.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:26 pm

It's been quite the week.

Thanks for the rundown on being killed/knocked unconscious as well. It's good to know our situation isn't quite as grave as I thought when we signed off last night. I'm pretty sure I have a healing potion in my pack and will get my turn before the fearsome bugbears, so think we should be ok.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 pm
Hindsight is 20/20 obviously, but can't help but feel we missed a trick not having a full rest before the encounter...
Had we had a full rest, I would probably have used my bonus action on the round I attacked to Mist Step (teleport, may have the name wrong) back into the corridor and into cover. Admittedly I had kinda wanted to use Hellish Rebuke for a while, so I may have ended up just staying where I was.

Thanks for that thorough rundown WB. Hopefully I won't need it...

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 pm

I won't fill the thread up with this stuff, but just wanted to say we just had a very quick trial of our family game, just with the girls as my wife wasn't available.

Any concerns that they wouldn't be comfortable with any violence evaporated at the point they eviscerated a pair of hunters (having first immobilised them with a poison spell) and fed their corpses to a pack of wolves for no particular reason that served no narrative purpose (I was just sat there with my jaw hanging open at that point) :lol:

Kids today!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm

:lol:

I seem to recall my nieces knowingly and unnecessarily sent someone to a gruesome wolf-induced death in what was intended to be a family-friendly, non-violent Christmas adventure. By the end, they’d deceived Santa into keeping them off the naughty list due to wanton slaughter.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm
:lol:

I seem to recall my nieces knowingly and unnecessarily sent someone to a gruesome wolf-induced death in what was intended to be a family-friendly, non-violent Christmas adventure. By the end, they’d deceived Santa into keeping them off the naughty list due to wanton slaughter.
:lol: Love it.

In our first 'proper' go just now, my eldest butchered a wandering hunter, who my wife had already convinced to leave them alone and was pottering off on his own business, with an arrow through the heart (she rolled a natural 20 :lol:) from behind, and then when it came to the boss fight at the end persuaded a werewolf to abandon its lifelong duty as the guardian of a magic amulet, and only narrowly failed her check to persuade it to then come and live with them.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Everyone good for Wednesday?

Raid, forgot to ask - is there another character image/token you wanted to use? I just picked a random tiefling image and I keep forgetting to check if you had another one in mind. I've also found a nice token generator that gives a round border like the monster tokens, so I'll upgrade all the character tokens for next session.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm

This is the image I've been using as my portrait on the map, literally the first result for Tiefling Sorcerer on Google. You can use that if you like.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Cheers, I’ll add it in!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Yep, still good for Wednesday!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:33 pm

And yes, I too am still fine with wednesday.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm

I'll be around tonight but I am sick as hell with flu at the minute so may take slightly more of a backseat in events.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Oh no! :( We can postpone for this week if you want? I've been faffing around with dynamic lighting with line-of-sight vision for players, so it would give me more time to understand how it works. Happy to go ahead if you're feeling well enough though. :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Up to you guys, I can manage a session if people are keen to resolve our cliffhanger ending.