The Hobbies and Model-Making Thread

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid

Re: The Hobbies and Model-Making Thread

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Yeah, it's a deceptively large aircraft, same with the F-4 Phantom. The F-14D could carry twice as much ordnance as a WW2 heavy bomber. It was a monster of a fighter.

I've never been able to paint the little pilot figures that come with the Gunpla kits. I just don't have a steady enough hand for small details, which is one of the reasons I airbrush everything.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:35 pm

About 20 seconds into this video, it shows the size really well with the guy standing on the fuselage.

Raid

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Yup. And a model of it was actually the basis of one of the hideous kitbash ships that featured (maybe, I forget whether this one actually appeared in an episode) in Star Trek DS9, the USS Elkins.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 am

that is a sweet model OP, looks awesome.

My brother did a trip around the world and gave me a gundum model for christmas one year, i have it sitting in my closet on a dresser.

I plan on picking up a DIY miniature picade. https://www.adafruit.com/product/4334

not quite a model, but it looks like it will be a fun project to spend a few hours putting together. planning on buying it in the next month or so.

Raid

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am

Someone I work with is building a two player Picade with a friend, though they're building the cabinet from scratch rather than using a kit. It's a really nice looking little project, and I do get name checked a few times in their videos as I'm producing a 3D printed button featuring their channel logo. They're adding a slightly ambitious system that raises a rack of Dualshock controllers up from behind the screen for additional players.

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:50 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 am
Someone I work with is building a two player Picade with a friend, though they're building the cabinet from scratch rather than using a kit. It's a really nice looking little project, and I do get name checked a few times in their videos as I'm producing a 3D printed button featuring their channel logo. They're adding a slightly ambitious system that raises a rack of Dualshock controllers up from behind the screen for additional players.
yeah that is sweet, and would be a lot of fun to do. I am getting this small one as a test run to see if I want to dive into trying to make a bigger one myself. I've been doing lots of research the last few weeks on them and there are lots of options when it comes to arcades in how involved you want to be and their setup.

I will most likely down the line buy the street fighter 2 arcade1up machine and mod it to play more games. after that if I continue to grow my collection and stay involved with the hobby im thinking of trying to build a full size arcade cabinet from scratch or buy another DIY kit.