The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:02 pm

Let’s aim for Thursday unless Mantis has a preference.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:22 pm

Tuesday or Thursday would be fine for me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Everyone still good for tonight?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Indeed, I'll be on in a moment.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:08 pm

That was fun, feels like all of a sudden we have so many options available.

Who's' betting we end up picking one that Wrath doesn't quite expect?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 pm

You already did in a whole bunch of ways this session. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Ha, was literally about to say I'd like to think we did that already :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 am

It was several weeks after the defeat of Brior Felhim and Demogorgon, and the Unmentionables were sat around the breakfast table contemplating their next adventure. Should they plunder an ancient tomb, or explore the planes? Perhaps investigate Charr's newly-obtained glowing orb directing him to a mysterious cave, or attempt to find and recover Truss's apparently still absent soul? It was at this point that Slythe decided to announce that he and Jeff had kidnapped Lord Neverember overnight and locked him in their basement.

Sage, foregoing the moral high ground, admitted that he already knew of the kidnapping as he had been magically spying on Neverember round the clock for weeks. More disturbingly, he had been manipulating Neverember's dreams to elicit whatever secrets he could squeeze out of him. Jeff insisted that the kidnapping was necessary, that Neverember and Lady Tanye were up to no good and Johnny Law had no interest in serving justice. Charr, taking the opportunity to be the moral centre of the group, announced that he wanted no part of this farcical crime, and went back to admiring all the new ballista upon the battlements.

Slythe, perhaps realising that Jeff's ill-informed, swivel-eyed, froth-mouthed loose-cannoneering may have led him astray during the investigation, decided that releasing Neverember would be shrewd before their crime was discovered and they were run out of the city. The group concocted and executed a plan to stage a fake rescue of Neverember (as he was unaware of who had kidnapped him) and then use Sage's newly-constructed teleportation ring to take them to the Cloak Tower. Against all the odds, the plan worked and Neverember was none the wiser as to what had actually happened. Nevertheless, the Unmentionables were concerned that a cover story would need to be created for the kidnpapping. It was decided that they would blame the pirates of Luskan, using the skull and crossbones necklace they had taken from High Captain Barri Baram as evidence which they had supposedly found on one of Neverember's captors.

The party returned to their estate to find General Sabine and a contingent of troops demanding entrance so they could search the mansion. Sabine angrily implied that Slythe had something to do with Neverember's disappearance, given the timing of the investigation and Slythe's accusations against the Lord Protector. It was calmly pointed out to the general that they had in fact (albeit not fact in the slightest) rescued Neverember, who was safely back at the Hall of Justice, and so they allowed the search while a guard went to establish if Neverember had returned. Once the guard reported back, Sabine remained unconvinced of the Unmentionables' innocence but departed with her troops (one of whom asked for autographs before leaving).

The party checked in with Truss and found that Jeff had departed to "take care of business". Unconcerned with the sudden disappearance of their increasingly-reckless and ill-tempered friend, they opened their mail and found a note from Tombstone, who claimed to have a lucrative job for them. They headed to the ruins of Tombstone's shop, in the process of being rebuilt, where Tombstone told them how he intended to start making his own magical items, but to create a forge with the necessary magical power he would need the heart of a fire giant. It just so happened that he had heard rumours of a fire giant in a cave near the Phandelver mine and its owners, with whom he had some loose and unspecified dealings. He offered 4000 gold pieces for the heart, and also pointed out that a giant could be a threat to the mine, and so it was in their interest to take care of it. The party decided to look into it, using the opportunity to check in with Phandalin and the mine.

First, however, Sage headed to the Hall of Justice to explain how the dastardly Luskan pirates had kidnapped Neverember. Slythe thought it best to keep his distance and Charr continued to refuse any involvement, so they headed with Truss to the Winged Wyvern to have a drink and take in a show. As Sage approached the Hall of Justice, he spotted a crowd of people listening to a woman in white robes proselytising to them. She told the crowd of how the gods had abandoned them, how they left the people for dead when the demons came and how it was only the actions of the Heroes of Neverwinter that had prevented total destruction and the deaths of everyone. She called upon the crowd to abandon the old gods and rise a new god - one who would protect them, who didn't demand the vain fawning and praise of mortals but venorated and aided them - and she assured the crowd that there was one who was worthy. She invited everyone to join the Church of the Ascension by casting aside their false idols, declaring themselves free of divine slavery and wearing robes of white to signify their rebirth into purity.

The crowd was divided, some cheering her claims, others shouting of heresy. The gathering was interrupted by the noise of marching steel, as the new Master of Justice, Sir Reinhart Duskbreaker arrived with four of his paladins and demanded that everyone dispersed immediately. The robed woman refused, stating that it was her right to speak the truth to the people. Sir Reinhart put his hand on his weapon and insisted that for such heresy, he would disperse the crowd himself if needs be. Sage for once found himself against mass slaughter in the name of a higher being, and so intervened by imploring the crowd to move along to defuse the situation. The robed woman left, insisting that she would continue to practice her religious rights as she was breaking no law. Sir Reinhart also departed, but not before commenting to Sage that as Master of Justice he would not stand for such things much longer.

Sage continued into the Hall of Justice where more strife was ongoing. A guard was explaining to General Sabine that Lady Tanye was dead, incinerated in her estate along with two of her staff. Sensing the dubious work of a certain tentacled, globular friend, Sage deftly manipulated the narrative by convincing Sabine and Neverember that this too was the work of Luskan. Aghast, Sabine lamented that the kidnapping of the Lord Protector and murder of a Council member could lead to war with Luskan. Sage assured them that before long they would travel north on business that would take them through Luskan, where they could establish the facts and possibly bring the culprits to justice. Content with managing to engineer the roots of a false war and sow the seeds of reward for the future annihilation of a city of pirates (all within the space of a few hours), Sage went to find his friends.

The Unmentionables finished their drinks and teleported to Phandalin, with a bumpier arrival than expected as Sage continued to perfect the workings of his ring. They caught up with Toblen Stonehill at the Stonehill Inn over a drink and learned that the mayoral election was due to take place the next day. Sildar Hallwinter was expected to win, having done a decent job as acting townmaster for the past couple of months. Barthen had also thrown his hat in the ring, along with Halia Thornton, who ran the Miner's Exchange in town. The party hired some ponies from Barthen and headed for the mine, which was bustling with dwarves and a few gnomes, apparently now in full operation. They met Gundren and Sildar inside the mine, and Sildar explained that the fire giant, supposedly called Grimix, had probably only recently moved into the cave, which was rumoured to have previously been the lair of a dragon. The cave was only a few miles northeast of the mine, so the party set off immediately to make short work of their colossal foe.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:37 am

Somehow depsite the lockdown, my only free evening this week is Wednesday.

I thought this situation meant I could be an unsociable bastard with impunity! :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:36 am

Pretty sure Wednesday is going to be good for me. I may even have left the house at some point before then.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:04 am

Sorry, I think I'm going to have to abort on this week as I've got a tonne of last minute work piled on me. I'm on holiday next week so should be fine for then.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:18 am

Niet problemski.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:52 pm

Hey WB and Mantis, there's a fair chance you'll already have all of this anyway, but thought I'd flag it up in case there are bits and pieces there of interest - loads of D&D resources have been made free on DnDbeyond:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/heres-a-trea ... resources/

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Cheers, hadn’t seen that - might grab some of the free adventures and scavenge material from them. :)

Should be fine for any day this week apart from tomorrow.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:37 pm

Shall we say Wednesday or Thursday then?