Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Exciting adventures IRL.
eny

Re: Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Post by eny » Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:31 am

What I find alarming, and has bothered me all night, is that the first footage released about it shows the shots then him stood up punching his hand in the air....missing out the human bubble where he was on the ground covered in agents as it should be. The initial reaction worldwide was rooted on that footage which "obviously" looked like things were staged — sounded like an air rifle and him scratched, pumping the air — the fullness of what actually happened shows that it indeed was an assassination attempt. I am most concerned I fell for it and reacted without having a fuller picture...we are more connected than ever and also swamped with mis-information immediately something like this happens. Frustrating times.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:18 am

It sticks in the craw reading the papers and various political figures decrying violence in politics when the man at the centre of it is the biggest threat of violence to emerge in the US possibly ever, indeed someone who already has law enforcement blood on his hands as a direct result of his actions. I also wonder how this is going to be weaponised, how long before we see images of the golden hand of god deflecting the bullet away or the like. I really fear that it won't end well for anyone who actually wants to see progress in society and an improvement in the lot of the common man.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:50 am

What I think it definitely won't lead to is stricter controls on assault-rifle style weapons. This definitely wouldn't have happened if there were more good guys with guns.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:23 am

Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:10 am
If this wasn't an inside job, then it's absolute bloody incompetence.
If it was an inside job (which of course raises a multitude of questions, primarily who exactly on the inside, from within which side?), then I'd have thought you'd want a guaranteed outcome. As in multiple shooters, all of whom are basically certain not to miss, not a 20 year old crawling about in open view who fires multiple rounds, misses his target and hits innocent bystanders. And if the police were actively ignoring the shooter in an inside job, that would place them as conspirators too, which would be an impossible scenario to keep under wraps for long.

But the alternative is, as you say, a staggering level of incompetence. To the extent that I can't accept that as the sole rational explanation given the layout of the area. The whole thing is deeply weird.

Merging the two leading theories together, maybe it was a massively incompetent inside job?

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:51 am

Not incompetent enough.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:11 pm

It's probably just won the election for him. The police in the US have shown time and time again how utterly incompetent they are with almost every situation so the guy probably just went for it and almost succeeded.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:42 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:23 am
Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:10 am
If this wasn't an inside job, then it's absolute bloody incompetence.
If it was an inside job (which of course raises a multitude of questions, primarily who exactly on the inside, from within which side?), then I'd have thought you'd want a guaranteed outcome. As in multiple shooters, all of whom are basically certain not to miss, not a 20 year old crawling about in open view who fires multiple rounds, misses his target and hits innocent bystanders. And if the police were actively ignoring the shooter in an inside job, that would place them as conspirators too, which would be an impossible scenario to keep under wraps for long.
You're assuming the purpose of the inside job would be to kill Donald Trump. No, I was thinking more along the lines of stage an assassination attempt, then blame it on the Left being soft on crime, which is a typical Right-wing tactic. What better way to demonstrate that than an assassination attempt?

I hasten to add I'm being facetious here; there's stuff that's going to require explanation, and I'm willing to bet the dismissal or stepping down of the head of the Secret Service will be part of it, but I don't actually think this is a conspiracy. At least not yet, with so little evidence. Western politics has gotten more than a little crazy in the last ten years, would it really be all that surprising if an assassination attempt were a campaign tactic?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:50 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:42 pm
You're assuming the purpose of the inside job would be to kill Donald Trump. No, I was thinking more along the lines of stage an assassination attempt, then blame it on the Left being soft on crime, which is a typical Right-wing tactic. What better way to demonstrate that than an assassination attempt?
That makes even less sense than the other options, though. If you supported Trump so much that you wanted to stage a failed assassination attempt against him, would you really risk shooting him in the ear? Why not just shoot the stage, or literally anywhere else not directly next to his head? And would you really entrust that to someone just out of college with an automatic rifle?

I'm leaning more towards the incompetence explanation. Trump's Secret Service detail is smaller than other former presidents due to changes in the law around their long-term protection, so it's possible they were stretched thin. Even so, why in the world they didn't ask local law enforcement to just put someone on the scant few buildings in the area is inexplicable. Equally the police not responding to a spectator pointing out the sniper on the roof is incredible.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:13 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:50 pm
That makes even less sense than the other options, though. If you supported Trump so much that you wanted to stage a failed assassination attempt against him, would you really risk shooting him in the ear? Why not just shoot the stage, or literally anywhere else not directly next to his head? And would you really entrust that to someone just out of college with an automatic rifle?
The earlier reports were that it was glass from a shattered teleprompter that caused the ear injury. Given where the gunman was, he'd have had a clear shot at the teleprompter screen from an angle that probably wouldn't hit Trump - as I understand it he was shooting directly from Donald's right side, and those screens are generally a few feet away from the speaker's face.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:58 pm

I'll be honest, I don't think even Trump would be ballsy - or crazy - enough to put a rifle into the hands of an untrained 20yo and tell him to shoot at a small object within several feet of his head.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:03 pm

There's no conspiracy. Some lunatic managed to slip past lax security and killed 3 innocent people and not who he intended. As much as I loathe Trump it's still a horrible thing to happen and he's going to be reliving that moment for the rest of his life. It might finally dawn on the Edwin that he's literally not bulletproof but will probably make him an even worse sack of shit as he milks it all the way to the White House.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:58 pm

You realise Trump is but a pawn in the game right? Flynn/Leo et al would be quite happy to have him sacrificed for their ultimate goal, he is more a key to a door than valued for who he is. Either way, it looks like the guy was a registered Republican exercising his open carry 2A rights...remember when Peter Pelosi was attacked, and the outpouring of sympathy and prayers from the right? yeah, me either. I have no sympathy for trump, he is in a pool of shit of his own making.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:43 pm

Trump photo op today trying to look strong and defiant
Spoiler
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:56 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3gw58wv4e9o
A straight white guy, registered Republican, gun owner and wearing a Demolition Ranch t-shirt. Be interesting to see how trans immigrant lefties are responsible..

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:44 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:56 pm
A straight white guy, registered Republican, gun owner and wearing a Demolition Ranch t-shirt. Be interesting to see how trans immigrant lefties are responsible..
I've already seen comments about it being a result of the "intolerant left", which I found hysterical.