The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Snowy
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Snowy » Sat May 04, 2024 6:25 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:18 pm
The dog died yesterday and I'm absolutely gutted. I keep walking into the kitchen and expect to see him or hear him giving hell to the neighbors dog outside. Treasure your doggies guys as they won't be around forever :cry:
So sorry to read this mate, losing your pooch is the hardest fucking thing. I still miss our old border collie Taz and Misty our current girl is nearly 9. When I had to take Taz on the final trip to the vet, it just pure broke me. I haven't mourned anything or anyone like I mourned that dopey pooch :cry:

Condolences mate it is the hardest thing, like I say.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 pm

Thanks for all the kind words guys, appreciate it. I'm sure Reilly would have have appreciated it too :)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:21 am

Just had a large spider stroll over the keyboard while I was typing. :shock: My chair shot back so fast that I almost hit the wall behind me.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:23 pm

I've finally given up on Asda deliveries (probably swapping to Tesco). Generally they're fine when everything goes as expected, but when something goes wrong - which has happened several times this year alone - they are beyond hopeless. And they're getting worse.

Today they were meant to deliver between 8am and 9am. The tracker up until the pandemic was reasonably accurate with its estimates, but since then it's got progressively worse to the point where the information is worthless. Today the tracker claimed it would arrive between 6.45 and 6.58am, which seemed doubtful, and by 8.30 it said they were running late. Then by 9.10 it changed to "something's gone wrong and it probably won't be delivered now".

I phoned customer service to see what was going on. Eventually I got through to someone who spent the first 20 seconds clattering about, I think trying to put his headphones on after being rudely awoken. After 20 minutes on hold while he spoke to the store, he came back to say they can't find the van, but I'd hear back from someone within 48 hours. I'd love to listen to the recording of my double-take response to this. :lol: I asked him to clarify whether it was still going to be delivered, to which he replied "definitely not" and explained that the payments team would email me within 48 hours for a refund. I tried to get some further details or a better explanation given the inconvenience, but at that point he hung up on me. Resigned to the situation, I placed an order with Tesco, which hopefully will arrive tonight barring any mysterious van disappearances.

Asda then turned up at 12.45. ](*,) I explained that I couldn't accept the order because I'd already placed another order with Tesco that was too late to cancel (the cut off point annoyingly was 12.30), and the driver kindly agreed to take it back and get a full refund issued. He was as confused as I was, though, because what actually happened was the van had broken down around 8.30 and so he'd phoned the store to tell them to send a replacement van so he could fulfill the orders later in the day. I phoned Asda about 40 minutes after that, so the store must have known what was going on, so the fact they told me it would definitely not be delivered makes me really angry because most of that order is now likely headed for the fucking bin.

TL;DR - Fuck Asda. The drivers are the salt of the earth, but their customer service department and management are a waste of the air they breathe.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:31 pm

Yeah, we use Tesco online, it's mostly ok although on occasion the substitute item they've picked for something is baffling (my dad had one, during lockdown, where the loo roll he'd ordered was subbed for a bag of flour :lol:).

We're probably going to start doing a physical weekly shop at Aldi or Lidl though, it's so fucking expensive to fill a basket at one of the big supermarkets now. I just ordered a normal-sized bottle of mouthwash that cost over a fiver... wtf?

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:33 pm

Morrison's via Amazon. Try them before Tesco. Morrison's have an excellent service, at least here locally...never used home delivery before this year, but swear by them now.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:36 pm

eny wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:33 pm
Morrison's via Amazon. Try them before Tesco. Morrison's have an excellent service, at least here locally...never used home delivery before this year, but swear by them now.
Is the delivery cost of that included in Prime membership? If so will have to try that!

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:39 pm

Its a fair bit cheaper to just order via Morrisons though everything comes loose instead of in paper bags so be ready with your own bag/box to stick things in. The only issue Ive had is the looks of disgust from the delivery driver delivering to the 3rd floor because for some reason they will not make two trips up and near kill themselves dragging the entire £100 order up at once. Multiple different drivers do this as opposed to bringing half up and as I put that half away they could bring the rest up, dafties.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:17 pm

Sainsburys are my usual. Other than the well-publicised cockup a month or two back when they cancelled an entire day's orders due to a botched software update, they're generally very reliable. I've had a handful of occasions where they've turned up anywhere up to half an hour early, but given that they do one-hour timeslots, this isn't too big a deal as I'm more than likely going to be in when they turn up. I've never had one arrive late. They do a "delivery pass" (yes, Sainsburys do a Battle Pass) which is "free" delivery for six months for £50, which works out pretty well if you're ordering once a week as I do these days.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:32 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:31 pm
Yeah, we use Tesco online, it's mostly ok although on occasion the substitute item they've picked for something is baffling (my dad had one, during lockdown, where the loo roll he'd ordered was subbed for a bag of flour :lol:).
:lol:

That's even better than the silliest one I ever got, which is when I ordered fish fingers and received crab sticks. I can see the logic!

I do use Morrisons occasionally and they're pretty good, but there are a few regular items I get that they don't have. Same with Sainsbury's, although I've not tried them for over a decade and the physical shop has been massively expanded since then, so maybe it's better now. I've tried Tesco a couple of times in recent months and I was impressed, and their own-brand stuff is basically identical to Asda's, so it seems like the option that makes most sense for me.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:28 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:31 pm
That's just magnificent. I like to think I would have tried it anyway, then baked them a cake with the arse-dough that resulted and sent it to their exec...
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:13 pm

Were it me picking, I'd just have subbed in copies of The Daily Mail up to the value of the toilet roll.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:16 pm

Now that's truly offensive!
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:23 pm

This is a very specific annoyance, but cover versions of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start The Fire that aren't in chronological order. Sure, you got some historical events to rhyme, but you've only done half the job.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:16 pm

I love tech. We all love tech. I am so sick of car/vehicle tech.

Lane Keep.
If you cant stay in lane you should not be driving. Its also useless because all it does it yank control away from you for a split second and either sends you the other way or lets you pass after yanking your wheel. If it actually just kept you in the middle of the lane you are in and smoothly took you round gentle corners maybe it would be ok but as is I would be shocked if it didn't cause more accidents that it prevents.

Digital handbrake.
On or off, no nuance and removes the uses of an analog lever. For a while I drove a Citroen where the handbrake was between you and the exit door so when you were parked you had to lift yourself over it to get out or it would go straight up your ass. I would rather have the ass danger handbrake than a digital one.

Digital door handles.
So instead of pulling a door handle to open the door you grip it, press a button, pause for a second for it to disengage the lock then pull. Dafuq is the point in that? A door should open with a pulley system, its reliable and so easy to service. Even on an EV theres no point in any of this shit.

Brake assist
It sounds good on paper but Ive been in a number of vehicles that just suddenly decide there's something in front of you on an empty road and slam the brakes on for a second.

Speed warnings
You go over the speed limit and it beeps at you for a few seconds. Not terrible (though I would expect it to have a few mph grace before the warning) except that its often wrong about the current roads speed limit.

I'm sure theres plenty more, all just trash and points of failure that will be impossible for people to repair by themselves. Making actual driving worse by pretending to make it better so you can sell us new features is infuriating. Oh and lane keep, speed warnings and brake assist can be turned off but they switch back on everytime you start the fucking engine!

I was going to say this is an old man yells at cloud moment but its not, its actual verifiable, scientifically verified bullshit. Give me back my 1984 Mini. The wheel fell off it but god it was fun!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.