The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:55 pm

I tried not to come across as "they're all the same", as I get that's a remarkably unhelpful attitude when it comes to ensuring people actually go out and vote (low turnout in Labour's demographics is part of the reason we've been saddled with Tory arseholes for so long), but christ it's difficult to argue that point when Labour are trying to paint themselves more as "stable" than "exciting". Yes, I absolutely trust Labour's leadership more than anyone currently heading the Tories, but basing your campaign around voting for change, and then not announcing *anything* head-turning just isn't going to counter the apathy. Labour feel like they're resting on their laurels, relying on people being engaged enough already to vote the Tories out, rather than just not making the trip in three weeks time.

I wasn't old enough to vote in 1997, and don't really remember any of the atmosphere surrounding New Labour that has been referenced constantly since the election was announced, but it sounds like people were genuinely excited. Where's the idealism that'll attract the under 25s in 2024? Setting up what sounds like an alternative energy supplier (rather than taking control of the current lot) is a good thing, but it's hardly going to settle the minds of people worrying that the human race will be boiling to death or starving by the time they reach retirement age.

I *want* to vote Green, I really do, but I can't because I'm terrified that somehow the Tories will find a photo of Starmer pulling a silly face while eating his lunch, or something.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:00 pm

In a way, I appreciate Labour's approach of only promising what they think they can realistically achieve. It's not ambitious, it's not exciting, but at least it's starkly honest, and it comes off the back of Sunak's infamous five promises that he completely failed to tackle. I just worry that Labour will fail to achieve even these modest goals, which would leave us in a very grim place.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:55 pm
I *want* to vote Green, I really do, but I can't because I'm terrified that somehow the Tories will find a photo of Starmer pulling a silly face while eating his lunch, or something.
Ah, the old Miliband gambit.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:45 pm

Exactly. Just look at all that chaos happening under Ed Milliband. I see crumbs for goodness sakes.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:01 pm

A good few years ago (I think just after his time as Labour leader), I got a text from a friend one day to say he was on a train and Miliband was in the seat in front of him attempting with some difficulty to eat a piece of fruit with a knife and fork. :lol:

He does seem to have some trouble with food, poor old Ed.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:49 pm

I would love to be able to vote Green but even knowing that it's a protest vote which will mean nothing to the two horse race in my constituency I still couldn't bring myself to. They are just too absolutely insane. A whole bunch of their policy ideas range from completely head in the clouds mindset to downright dangerous for the entire country. They aren't a credible electoral force at all and don't deserve the votes in my opinion. Which is a shame because we genuinely don't have a good green alternative with any other party and I actually think it's one of the most important issues which the country completely has it's head in the sand over.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:47 pm

I think we all know that the Greens have basically no realistic chance and aren't a legitimate choice for governing, but having MPs demonstrates that the public care enough about the issues they're focusing on that the party that does govern need to pledge something to gain that share of the electorate. It also lets them raise those issues in parliament.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:27 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:49 pm
A whole bunch of their policy ideas range from completely head in the clouds mindset to downright dangerous for the entire country.
I'd be interested to hear more of a breakdown here, a lot of it seems pretty sensible from where I'm sitting.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Want to cringe yourself inside-out? Suella Braverman has launched her campaign. The kids; she is down with them.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:14 am

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.