The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:32 pm

My guess is that the business model doesn't really work for one person. Some ingredients won't last a full week, so then you're paying for two deliveries of small amounts of ingredients (making it look expensive), or only eating for half the week (so it's not as useful a solution). The amount of packaging doubles (and these sorts of companies are routinely judged on the amount of plastic they use), as well as them having to keep stock of single-serving products for a limited audience.

I think they're fairly up front about it being suitable for two or more people; there isn't an option for single person orders when you go through their sign-up process.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:59 pm

This is what they have to say about it:

https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/grocery-de ... one-person
The smallest of our food delivery boxes serves two people, but that’s great if you’re a single-person household.
It’s really not great. This is completely misleading.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:41 pm

Huh. I can't find a single page on their website that links to that. Literally every link I tried ended up on a page where 2 was the minimum number of people.

Fair enough then.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:37 pm

Just be a fat-arsed Yankee and eat twice as much :P
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:23 pm

Who says I didn't? :lol:

eny

Post by eny » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:04 pm

My electricity company raising the standing charge 80% next month. I am on a low income so I cannot afford more than £40 a month electric—no heating, no hot water, very little oven use. Because I am a low user, they have cynically targeted the standing charge instead. This is on top of Day and Night increases of 41% and 35%.

Utterly cuntish fucks. :evil:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:16 pm

Jesus, that's an insane increase! I assume providers are going to use Ukraine as an easy excuse to just fuck everyone for gas and electricity.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:39 pm

I think energy companies are looking for any excuse to recoup the increased costs they'll have had these last few months. Obviously the government did what our government does and threw the most vulnerable under the bus rather than spreading the burden.

I was pretty thankful that I signed up with a 2 year fixed-price contract when I moved house last year, so I've been protected from all of this bullshit, and I'm desperately hoping it's resolved by the middle of next year when it ends. I'm still fed up with the company though; the whole reason I chose this specific contract was that it came with a free Nest smart thermostat, and I've not received it. I did ring them a few months back and they said they were having supply chain issues, and while I know worldwide freight has been an issue in the last year, I don't think it ought to have taken an extra half a year.

There's also the fact that I can reduce my monthly direct debits using SSE's app... but only by £5. They're already taking literally twice what they need to, even when you consider that it's based on the most expensive months of the year. It already feels like a scam that they charge me monthly, keep my money in a pot, and then they charge the actual energy usage to that pot every quarter. I'm currently £400 in credit with them with my next bill due in the next few days. The bill covering November through to January will be £200 or so (the app is actually excellent for tracking your usage, you can even look at individual hours worth of use if you really want). Actually speaking to them required a half-hour wait in a queue last time I tried, and that's the only way I can make alterations.

...I know none of this seems remotely important in the context of ruinous price increases.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:16 pm

It is a mess, and the only people protected are those making the profit! This standing charge increase is the customer paying for the Energy companies' insurance to help protect those who lost their supplier last year, the Supplier Of Last Resort process. It fucking stinks.

The other frustrating part of this is, I have no way of finding out if I'm successful, or keeping track of the Warm Home Discount process, so I've spent the winter not using that money until it is confirmed (supposedly) next month....it would be of utmost help to know it is in place before the winter when it is needed most...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:34 pm

Property markets (rental and sale).

When I was a trainee, money was thin and I was flat-sharing etc. which was fine, and it seemingly was easier because you have a tighter budget so you view the X that fit within it and that's your choice.

Now I'm fortunate enough to be able to get my own place and there's fuck-all good enough. I was in an expensive city before too but now I am lucky enough to be in a cheaper city where options should be great. :x

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:46 pm

Greg Wallace.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:58 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:46 pm
Greg Wallace.
If there's one thing on TV I find truly irritating, it's Greg Wallace calling female contestants 'mate'...

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:05 pm

The entire UK version of Masterchef should be erased from existence.

We could just air the Australian one instead, it's a completely different show and the cooking is amazing.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:16 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Greg Wallace (with the exception of the comically large spoonfuls of food he used to shovel into his mouth - that's a man that seems to like his food), but I really do dislike Masterchef UK. It's everything I hate about the presentation of these televised talent competitions, where everything is designed to build the drama or tension.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:37 pm

eny wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:04 pm
My electricity company raising the standing charge 80% next month. I am on a low income so I cannot afford more than £40 a month electric—no heating, no hot water, very little oven use. Because I am a low user, they have cynically targeted the standing charge instead. This is on top of Day and Night increases of 41% and 35%.

Utterly cuntish fucks. :evil:
Mine's just put my standing charge up by 100% and the unit charge by 30%. Two kids working from home so the electric meter goes around like a bloody catherine wheel. Hope the CEO's are enjoying keeping warm around bonfires of our money.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗