The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: The Room 101 thread - for things you hate or just having a bloody good moan

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:53 pm

Can you make a complaint to whoever manages the building even, get them to lodge a formal report with the cops?

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:41 pm

Can you find where the operator lives and kick fuck out if their door? :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:41 pm

I've reported it to the housing agency and they're going to follow it up with me, presumably after reviewing the CCTV footage of the building or something. The more I think about it the more I likely will file a complaint with the police as well.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:59 pm

So I started hearing scraping noises in my office room a few weeks ago. I thought it was a bird on the guttering or something. I noticed it again today but significantly louder, popped open my loft hatch, and there's a bloody starling sitting on the rafters, and I can see a significant patch of daylight diffusing through some of the insulating material. I don't know if the bird has pulled something off the roof to get in, but now I clearly need to get the roof fixed. I honestly have no idea who you call to do such a thing. I don't even own a stepladder (I had to stand on a dining chair to look into the loft space), much less a full height one to attempt it myself. No idea how much these things cost either.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:00 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:59 pm
So I started hearing scraping noises in my office room a few weeks ago. I thought it was a bird on the guttering or something. I noticed it again today but significantly louder, popped open my loft hatch, and there's a bloody starling sitting on the rafters, and I can see a significant patch of daylight diffusing through some of the insulating material. I don't know if the bird has pulled something off the roof to get in, but now I clearly need to get the roof fixed. I honestly have no idea who you call to do such a thing.
A quick google search for roofing repairs brought up a load of results just for our area, if you do the same thing for yours, maybe via Checkatrade, hopefully you find someone.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:59 pm

Checkatrade is absolutely the way forward.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:25 am

Cheers, I'll chuck a few e-mails out and get some quotes.

I managed to get up and have a look at the outside of the roof using my camera drone, and there's nothing particularly obviously damaged from the outside (although I did find a big crack through a tile in another area). I'm assuming one of the smaller tiles has just become dislodged and dropped slightly. It almost certainly had to have happened in the high winds at the start of the year - there's nothing high enough around the house to have fallen on it.

I did manage to get the starling out this morning, just left the loft hatch open and it flew down by itself. I don't think it would have done that if it had another way out, so I'm guessing it got in through the gap I can see, and the insulation then recovered the hole, trapping it. My cat very nearly got it as it flew straight towards my closed window in the office behind the blinds and then flapped around on the window sill before I managed to get over and open the window for it to escape.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 am

Allergies, they've had me over a barrel for the past week and been making my life a fucking misery. If I'm not sneezing every 10 seconds my skin feels like ants are having a rave beneath it, the inside of my mouth was itchy earlier!! Antihistamines are only so good and if I take more than one I'm like a zombie for the day. It seems to be rain combined with sunny days that kick it off for me and it's a lottery on how long it lasts. :x

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:39 am

Insurance companies.

Got a scary text today, "*URGENT* To Mr Drarok, Policy ref 123456789 is in danger of being cancelled. Call us on 03441234567 with any queries." The fuck? Why do I have to call? Why is it in danger of being cancelled? What is this scam-looking shite?!

I'm still on hold to find out what they've fucked up that I need to call them about. Fucking dickheads.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:55 am

Drarok wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:39 am
Insurance companies.

Got a scary text today, "*URGENT* To Mr Drarok, Policy ref 123456789 is in danger of being cancelled. Call us on 03441234567 with any queries." The fuck? Why do I have to call? Why is it in danger of being cancelled? What is this scam-looking shite?!

I'm still on hold to find out what they've fucked up that I need to call them about. Fucking dickheads.
That sounds like a scam mate. I'd lookup the number for the insurance company and not ring the one from the text.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm

A while ago I started watching Babylon 5 on prime as I noticed that it was available - with ads, which is a separate moan in itself given that I'm paying for this service - only for it to suddenly become buy/rent only when I got about halfway through season 1. After some time, I ended up loading up prime through my flatmate's ps5 in the living room to watch something while having some food, only to discover that it was available again (with ads...), so I resumed from where I'd left it a month or two before. However, when I went to put on an episode in my room, via my pc, one night when he was watching something, I found that through the browser version of prime that it is still only available to purchase. I disabled my adblocker, no change. Bizarre.

Is this a thing where it's locked between versions of the same service? I should add that the prime account on his console is linked to mine, so it's not a regional change.

On the one hand, bloody shower of pain-in-the-arse bastard-cunts. On the other, at least I can watch it again in a limited capacity.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:55 am
That sounds like a scam mate.
Nah, I'd already verified the numbers, it's legit. They just wanted my no-claims proof. Could have just asked like any normal fucking company, though! Their online portal crap doesn't support a "being useful" feature though, so I had to email it to them. Christ.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:58 pm

ManBearSquid wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm
A while ago I started watching Babylon 5 on prime as I noticed that it was available - with ads, which is a separate moan in itself given that I'm paying for this service - only for it to suddenly become buy/rent only when I got about halfway through season 1. After some time, I ended up loading up prime through my flatmate's ps5 in the living room to watch something while having some food, only to discover that it was available again (with ads...), so I resumed from where I'd left it a month or two before. However, when I went to put on an episode in my room, via my pc, one night when he was watching something, I found that through the browser version of prime that it is still only available to purchase. I disabled my adblocker, no change. Bizarre.

Is this a thing where it's locked between versions of the same service? I should add that the prime account on his console is linked to mine, so it's not a regional change.

On the one hand, bloody shower of pain-in-the-arse bastard-cunts. On the other, at least I can watch it again in a limited capacity.
I tried doing the same back when I first saw that IMDB stream with ads thing, because I've never seen B5 and it's clearly something I'd enjoy. There were so many ads (a break every 10 minutes or less, 5 or 6 breaks in a 45 minute programme) that I watched the end of the first episode and didn't go back for a second. I don't know what the connection with Amazon is to be honest, it's not a Prime Video service, so I suspect the Prime membership fee doesn't cover it.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:21 pm

Thankfully, there only seems to be ads at the beginning and then once or twice throughout, I'm more just perplexed as to why I can only watch it on the playstation's app version and not my browser version.

The show is pretty corny and poorly acted here and there, but it's full to the brim with 90's charm and the storylines - for the most part - are actually pretty engaging as they often focus on difficult topics.

Maybe I'll get to finish the first season before I'm completely cut off...

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:44 pm

To quote Tim Bisley - Babylon 5’s a big pile of shit. The finale is unintentionally hilarious though and almost worth wading through all the rubbish to get to. It’s around the same level as Lexx just with less boobs.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.