Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:17 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:49 am
this was a plain embarrassment for America
Just like the last two elections then, but I agree it's probably worse this time around. Biden needs to step down and put his weight behind another candidate, and I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet. Maybe he's more switched-on when he's not in front of the media, but that's meaningless if he can't get elected.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:35 am

Maybe it's a little bit head in the sand but I cannot listen to Trump talk anymore and rarely watch anything where he does. His voice is like slime sliding across broken glass to me.

American politics has devolved into a juvenile popularly contest where both your options are fucking awful. The "good" side is enabling a genocide in Palestine while the "bad" is straight up touting fascism.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:56 am

Nah, I know exactly what you mean. Just the tone of his voice brings back floods of feelings of disgust. I can't listen to Theresa May or Boris Johnson anymore for similar, if (at least with the former) slightly less dramatic reasons.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:03 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:35 am
Maybe it's a little bit head in the sand but I cannot listen to Trump talk anymore and rarely watch anything where he does. His voice is like slime sliding across broken glass to me.

American politics has devolved into a juvenile popularly contest where both your options are fucking awful. The "good" side is enabling a genocide in Palestine while the "bad" is straight up touting fascism.
South Park nailed it 20 years ago now:

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:00 am

SCOTUS basically just gave Trump a lot of his immunity making the presidency quite kingly. Now Joe should stop being a pussy and send seal team 6 to Maralago as an official act.
Last edited by Alan on Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:47 pm

Yeah, it's pretty funny how much the decision makes the president resemble a monarch, given America's history. It's completely baffling to me that a president shouldn't be subject to exactly the same laws as everyone else, and that there shouldn't be very obvious, very public limits to their power. The ramifications of that decision are potentially terrifying, depending on what is later determined to be an "official act".

I know this ruling is basically a delay tactic, that it makes no real decision on the specific act of Trump attempting a coup by telling his VP to overturn the result of the 2020 election. It's looking increasingly likely that Trump will be able to pardon himself for that come next January.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:39 pm

The Supreme Bought strikes again...democracy dying by a thousand cuts. There are implications to this, such as every challenge from Jack Smith will have to be presented and vetted accordingly...so any cards he might have been holding will be exposed to those who give their ear...The US is becoming Russia by the day.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Animalmother
Local

US Politics & Trump

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:48 am

Just thought I'd change the thread title as it's way out of date now.

Biden faces calls to drop out for being well past his sell by date and having some extremely questionable world policies.
Trump the convicted criminal, alleged rapist, fraudster and overall scum of humanity is more popular than ever.

Democracy is the US is hanging on by its fingertips and the choice is which side of the shit sandwich you want to bite.

Wrathbone
Local

US Politics & Trump

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:28 am

It's a bit depressing that George Clooney could be the voice that leads Biden to step down and ultimately saves democracy from itself. Good that major Democratic figures are putting their support behind Harris, though.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:05 pm

Biden is the least of the US's problems. This media frenzy isn't helpful whilst there is zero focus on Project 2025 and what a Trump presidency would mean. Judging Biden on a lousy debate where his opponent lied from the outset, uncontested or moderated, is weak and not where the impetus should be.

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:26 pm

Much as I agree that the conversation *should* be about the lying convicted criminal and Project 2025 (so named I'm guessing because it'll revert American social values by 2025 years), I think we're so used to the right just lying and diverting attention that it barely even registers now. I mean look at this shit:
While Trump has distanced himself from Project 2025, he has connections with some of those involved.

According to journalist Judd Legum, 31 of the 38 people who helped write or edit the project served in some manner in Trump’s administration or transition.
Trump denies all knowledge, yet 80% of the people involved work around him!

Biden's a massive liability because Trump can just point at that debate performance and do that shit-eating grin of his, maybe do an offensive impersonation, and his supporters will lap it up. It doesn't matter if Joe can run the country or not, he's unelectable. It was a similar story with Jeremy Corbyn; the right wing press spent so long ruining his reputation that the truth didn't even matter anymore. It's exactly that kind of nonsense that I'm desperately hoping we've reached the end of in the UK, at least for the next 4 or 5 years.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:07 pm

eny wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:05 pm
Biden is the least of the US's problems. This media frenzy isn't helpful whilst there is zero focus on Project 2025 and what a Trump presidency would mean. Judging Biden on a lousy debate where his opponent lied from the outset, uncontested or moderated, is weak and not where the impetus should be.
While I agree on the principle, I disagree that it's just the debate he's being judged on. It's hardly the first time where legitimate concerns about him (and Trump, to be fair) have been raised. Even if he was running about like a spring chicken now, talking as coherently and fiercely as he did 10-15 years ago, the reality is that he would be 86 at the end of his term. Blunt as it may be, someone who is fit and healthy at 81 still has a reasonable chance of not being alive at 86, and I think a minimum requirement for electing the leader of the free world should be the expectation that they are not likely to die of natural causes in office.

The argument that he can still cope with the job isn't enough. The American people should be demanding a leader who can thrive at the job, not simply endure it. Equally I don't believe pointing at how much worse Trump is makes Biden a good candidate. I really hope the Democrats can persuade him to step down, because at this point I think the only alternative is that they're going to have to push him, and pushing an octogenarian is not a good look.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm

The point is that Biden stepping down now is not viable. It just starts another shitstorm to deal with, and takes focus off what should really be in the public perception. Based on his results he is more than capable. The fact that Trump, as unfit as he is for all sorts of reasons, has minimal call to step down is the real problem. This is just another "but her emails".

Ideally, yes, we would have a more "suitable" candidate, but the idea that, because of his age, Biden will put Trump back in office, is ludicrous, and a smoke screen.

– Abraham Lincoln

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:04 pm

Kamala would wipe the floor with Trump in a debate but she also has a tendency to come off really badly. She often does this thing were she raises pitch at the end of a sentence like shes Ron Burgundy? and it can be incredibly irritating and things like that can really matter. Buuut shes only a few points down in polls than Biden and shes mostly remained in the background so it's not beyond the pale that she can make that up. Shes also the only one that could use all the campaigns cash reserves

I still say it should be Cory Booker. Everything Ive seen from that dude is great. Great voice, eloquent and quick minded.

Trump is the only person who could lose to Biden and Biden is the only person who could lose to Trump. Battle of the arrogant wanks.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:00 pm

eny wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm
The point is that Biden stepping down now is not viable.
Why? There are four months left. Biden hasn't even been officially named as the Democratic nominee yet. They need to do it now for the public to get to know the new candidate. Would it be damaging? Maybe, but more damaging than 4 more months of in-fighting and letting Trump attack an easy target?