The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Are we likely to level up before the final battle? I thought we might be close after a heroic victory like that.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Thanks for that, good fun tonight.

Re the terrible, painful demise of Sir Giles, I was going more for 'give him a bad case of the shits' than cold-blooded murder, but he was a horrible git so I guess nobody will lose too much sleep over it :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 pm
Are we likely to level up before the final battle? I thought we might be close after a heroic victory like that.
Well reminded! Yes, everyone does level up.

I don’t think I would have killed him if not for that roll. Given that it was fresh dragon poison direct from the glands, it seemed like a natural 1 wouldn’t have ended well. :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 pm

Slythe is just a stone cold killer. I'm not sure even his companions realise how sinister he really is.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:33 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm
Mantis wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 pm
Well reminded! Yes, everyone does level up.

I don’t think I would have killed him if not for that roll. Given that it was fresh dragon poison direct from the glands, it seemed like a natural 1 wouldn’t have ended well. :lol:
Ah well. There's probably some kind of moral somewhere there that the dragon we killed I was hoping to save was responsible for the accidental death of someone else I wasn't trying to kill. I guess it could have been worse, I was toying with the option of getting him to draw one of Sage's cards :lol:

I wasn't quite where I was going with the Reidoth stuff, I guess I was thinking perhaps he could just wander home now the dragon is gone and find some kind of happy ending (before the world gets blowed up by demons).

And nice to level up, feels like it's been a while :o

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:30 pm
Slythe is just a stone cold killer. I'm not sure even his companions realise how sinister he really is.
I guess when you're chaotic good, sometimes you're good and sometimes it's just chaotic :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm

Good little level, increased proficiency bonus, nice new spell and a subclass feature. Next level brings some real fun spells into play though.

Don't forget that you've got a shiny new poison knife to add to your equipment once we get the details on it. You do use daggers right?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 pm

Mantis wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 pm
Good little level, increased proficiency bonus, nice new spell and a subclass feature. Next level brings some real fun spells into play though.

Don't forget that you've got a shiny new poison knife to add to your equipment once we get the details on it. You do use daggers right?
I do yes (I can throw them as well for ranged attacks), and I did mean to ask what it was at the end of the session. I did have a look through the list of daggers on the equipment list, but the poisoned one was listed as being magical as well, which I think WB said it wasn't.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:02 pm

It’s a Dagger of Venom in terms of stats, but rather than being magical it’s just coated in poison. We can assume that as part of your daily routine you re-coat it with enough to reasonably last the day.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:06 pm

Sounds cool, cheers :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:25 pm

Not much for me on that level up apart from a bit more hp and an extra dice on my sneak attack (which is starting to look quite OP at an additional 5d6 :o), unless I've missed anything obvious.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 am

The big thing for this level is that the proficiency bonus goes from +3 to +4, which means you’re better at everything you’re proficient in.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:55 am
The big thing for this level is that the proficiency bonus goes from +3 to +4, which means you’re better at everything you’re proficient in.
Ahhh, that's quite cool actually.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am

The battle raged at Helm's Hold, and the combined forced of Neverwinter and Gauntlgrym stood their ground against the onslaught. At the Temple of Helm, Slythe, Charr, Jeff and Hamfist attempted to defend a breach in the wall. Hamfist lunged in a disturbingly sober manner at the hill giant, orcs and bugbears baying for his blood, while Charr proceeded to incinerate as many as he could. Slythe targeted the gaunt, pale woman who cast an illusion of a beholder. Charr was momentarily entranced by the otherworldly beast, but Slythe's arrow struck true and broke the spellcaster's concentration. With that, she vanished. Jeff tutted at the innacuracies of the beholder and began mutilating enemies in his merry way.

At that point, Lord Neverember burst into the temple and demanded to know what the Unmentionables were doing there, but Slythe quickly saw through the ruse. The pale woman snarled as her trickery failed yet again, and she ascended into the air to assess her options. They were few, as Slythe's arrow pierced her throat and she collapsed on the pews below. Meanwhile, Charr, Hamfist and Jeff mopped up the innefectual assault, and the remaining bugbears and orcs surrendered. Alas, in that dark period of history, no wartime conventions existed, and so the Unmentionables' relentless massacre of their prisoners in front of the horrified priests and orphans would go unpunished by law. It could be argued that there was some diminished responsiblity from a moral perspective, given that Jeff had the reasoning capacity of a fish, Hamfist was battered within an inch of his life and it was mildly inconvenient to take prisoners for Charr and Slythe. Yet such featherweight arguments did not feed the destitute families of their admittedly monstrous victims.

Back at the gate, Sage had managed to avoid any future war crimes while his friends had been gone. As he fired eldritch blasts at the enemy, an ear-piercing screech came from the sky, and from the clouds emerged a green dragon with a rider. The dragon swooped over the walls, covering the troops in poisonous gas which choked them and hissed on their armour. The dragon circled round and landed in the courtyard, and the hooded rider flipped off its back and charged at the stunned Queen Raina. Sage realised that the dragon was Venomfang, the same dragon who they had made a deal with at Thundertree to trick Reidoth, thereby making a lifelong nemesis of the druid. Venomfang's amusement appeared to have turned to mercenary violence, however, as he swiped his claws at Raina's golems and unleashed more of his corrosive breath on them.

Sage hurried to Raina's rescue, but before he could intervene, the assassin's dagger had pierced her chest and she fell to the ground. Sage ran across the wall and flung webs at the assailant like some sort of arachind-chap, holding him in place. The rest of the Unmentionables rejoined the battle, but Hamfist was immediately felled by a poison-tipped bolt from the restrained assasin's crossbow. Charr, seeing his fallen comrade, rushed past him to aid Raina and staunch her wound. The party then dispatched the assassin with extreme prejudice and rounded on Venonfang, worse for wear having battled two golems. A hurricane of arrows, fire and eldritch energy pummelled him, and as he fell from the walls with a harrowing gargle, Sage shouted to him: "I eat green dragons for breakfast, and right now I'm VERY hungry."

In the distance, the horns of Neverwinter could be heard and the soldiers atop the ramparts began to cheer as the forces from the city arrived to attack the mercenaries from the rear. The enemy, realising their defeat was imminent, turned tail and fled for the woods. Thus ended the Battle of Helm's Hold. The priests tended to the wounded, reviving Raina and Hamfist. Lord Neverember arrived victorious on horseback through the gates and congratulated the party for their efforts. All then returned to Neverwinter to prepare for the arrival of Brior Felhim and his demons.

First, however, the Unmentionables popped into their favourite dive for a victory drink, suitably disguised to avoid the attention of a particular patron they were expecting to be there. And lo and behold, Slythe's two nemeses - Sir Chalfont Giles and Reidoth - were at the bar complaining to each other. The disguised Slythe first told Reidoth (severely drunk) how he had been at Helm's hold and had seen the Unmentionables tell a green dragon that they were going to avenge their good druid friend, before killing it. Reidoth laughed in denial and then fell off his chair. Next, Slythe offered the unwitting Sir Giles a drink, which he discreetly spiked with poison taken directly from Venomfang's glands. Sir Giles toasted his new friend and drank deeply, then clutched his throat and cursed the name of Slythe Nimblefingers with his dying wheeze. With one old man rendered unconscious and one Waterdhavian noble brutally murdered, Slythe's work for the morning was done.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 am
The battle raged at Helm's Hold, and the combined forced of Neverwinter and Gauntlgrym stood their ground against the onslaught. At the Temple of Helm, Slythe, Charr, Jeff and Hamfist attempted to defend a breach in the wall. Hamfist lunged in a disturbingly sober manner at the hill giant, orcs and bugbears baying for his blood, while Charr proceeded to incinerate as many as he could. Slythe targeted the gaunt, pale woman who cast an illusion of a beholder. Charr was momentarily entranced by the otherworldly beast, but Slythe's arrow struck true and broke the spellcaster's concentration. With that, she vanished. Jeff tutted at the innacuracies of the beholder and began mutilating enemies in his merry way.

At that point, Lord Neverember burst into the temple and demanded to know what the Unmentionables were doing there, but Slythe quickly saw through the ruse. The pale woman snarled as her trickery failed yet again, and she ascended into the air to assess her options. They were few, as Slythe's arrow pierced her throat and she collapsed on the pews below. Meanwhile, Charr, Hamfist and Jeff mopped up the innefectual assault, and the remaining bugbears and orcs surrendered. Alas, in that dark period of history, no wartime conventions existed, and so the Unmentionables' relentless massacre of their prisoners in front of the horrified priests and orphans would go unpunished by law. It could be argued that there was some diminished responsiblity from a moral perspective, given that Jeff had the reasoning capacity of a fish, Hamfist was battered within an inch of his life and it was mildly inconvenient to take prisoners for Charr and Slythe. Yet such featherweight arguments did not feed the destitute families of their admittedly monstrous victims.

Back at the gate, Sage had managed to avoid any future war crimes while his friends had been gone. As he fired eldritch blasts at the enemy, an ear-piercing screech came from the sky, and from the clouds emerged a green dragon with a rider. The dragon swooped over the walls, covering the troops in poisonous gas which choked them and hissed on their armour. The dragon circled round and landed in the courtyard, and the hooded rider flipped off its back and charged at the stunned Queen Raina. Sage realised that the dragon was Venomfang, the same dragon who they had made a deal with at Thundertree to trick Reidoth, thereby making a lifelong nemesis of the druid. Venomfang's amusement appeared to have turned to mercenary violence, however, as he swiped his claws at Raina's golems and unleashed more of his corrosive breath on them.

Sage hurried to Raina's rescue, but before he could intervene, the assassin's dagger had pierced her chest and she fell to the ground. Sage ran across the wall and flung webs at the assailant like some sort of arachind-chap, holding him in place. The rest of the Unmentionables rejoined the battle, but Hamfist was immediately felled by a poison-tipped bolt from the restrained assasin's crossbow. Charr, seeing his fallen comrade, rushed past him to aid Raina and staunch her wound. The party then dispatched the assassin with extreme prejudice and rounded on Venonfang, worse for wear having battled two golems. A hurricane of arrows, fire and eldritch energy pummelled him, and as he fell from the walls with a harrowing gargle, Sage shouted to him: "I eat green dragons for breakfast, and right now I'm VERY hungry."

In the distance, the horns of Neverwinter could be heard and the soldiers atop the ramparts began to cheer as the forces from the city arrived to attack the mercenaries from the rear. The enemy, realising their defeat was imminent, turned tail and fled for the woods. Thus ended the Battle of Helm's Hold. The priests tended to the wounded, reviving Raina and Hamfist. Lord Neverember arrived victorious on horseback through the gates and congratulated the party for their efforts. All then returned to Neverwinter to prepare for the arrival of Brior Felhim and his demons.

First, however, the Unmentionables popped into their favourite dive for a victory drink, suitably disguised to avoid the attention of a particular patron they were expecting to be there. And lo and behold, Slythe's two nemeses - Sir Chalfont Giles and Reidoth - were at the bar complaining to each other. The disguised Slythe first told Reidoth (severely drunk) how he had been at Helm's hold and had seen the Unmentionables tell a green dragon that they were going to avenge their good druid friend, before killing it. Reidoth laughed in denial and then fell off his chair. Next, Slythe offered the unwitting Sir Giles a drink, which he discreetly spiked with poison taken directly from Venomfang's glands. Sir Giles toasted his new friend and drank deeply, then clutched his throat and cursed the name of Slythe Nimblefingers with his dying wheeze. With one old man rendered unconscious and one Waterdhavian noble brutally murdered, Slythe's work for the morning was done.
I'm convinced we're going to be tried as war criminals if we actually survive the next battle :lol:

Edit: just checked my character sheet, and with the increase of proficiency bonus, my modifiers for stealth, persuasion and deception in particular are starting to become monstrous - 13/12/12 respectively :o