Exciting adventures IRL.
Snowy
Local

Re: 2021

Post by Snowy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:24 pm

Not so much, I am already doing the couch to 5k, one run to go in my sixth week now. Pretty pleased too, as while there is no pleasure in the actual running the increases in stamina are really noticeable week on week. Will probably look to lose some weight too, which the running will help with, but no real resolutions as such. I am getting fit, I don't drink much, I quit smoking during lockdown so not much I really need to change :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 pm

Weight loss is high on my agenda. I took a couple of months off with my exercise bike as I was trying to prevent what I thought was an ankle injury, but after all that time the feeling in said ankle hasn't actually changed, and I'm beginning to think it's just a muscle twinge that won't amount to anything. The top of the agenda though is to cut down on my snacking and overall food expenditure. In 2020, I was using a big takeaway meal as a reward for getting through the week (I had quite a lot of tough weeks, mental health-wise last year) and it became a habit that took more than half a year to break. I was both spending and eating too much, and that's something that probably won't be practical once I finally get my own place. I'm going to be increasing my costs a little as I'll be taking on a mortgage by myself, but I'm also planning on dropping down to 4 days a week at work, as being in that place absolutely ruins my mood and is contributing significantly to my depression. The job market is horrendous right now, and it's not looking like I'll be able to get out completely, so my only course of action is spending less time there.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:26 pm

Happy New Year everyone.

Hopefully everyone enjoyed their government mandated low-key New Year celebrations this year, unlike my new neighbours who decided to make my life a misery heading into the New Year, but hey ho, fuck 'em.

Hope you all have a good one and manage to follow through on all your good intentions. You can do it, go you! :D

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:03 pm

Raid wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 pm
Weight loss is high on my agenda. I took a couple of months off with my exercise bike as I was trying to prevent what I thought was an ankle injury, but after all that time the feeling in said ankle hasn't actually changed, and I'm beginning to think it's just a muscle twinge that won't amount to anything. The top of the agenda though is to cut down on my snacking and overall food expenditure. In 2020, I was using a big takeaway meal as a reward for getting through the week (I had quite a lot of tough weeks, mental health-wise last year) and it became a habit that took more than half a year to break. I was both spending and eating too much, and that's something that probably won't be practical once I finally get my own place. I'm going to be increasing my costs a little as I'll be taking on a mortgage by myself, but I'm also planning on dropping down to 4 days a week at work, as being in that place absolutely ruins my mood and is contributing significantly to my depression. The job market is horrendous right now, and it's not looking like I'll be able to get out completely, so my only course of action is spending less time there.
Good luck mate.

Weight loss is on my agenda also. I have three stag-dos and three weddings this year (hopefully), two of which are (hopefully) in the sun. One of which I'm best man for. I thought once I'd finished my exams I'd have a relaxing year. :lol:

I feel pretty positive about it though. If I can stick to the first month of no drinking while doing at least some home exercise, I reckon I can get on top of it.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Mine has been a topsy turvy start with one best friends mother poorly in hospital all the while two other best mates got engaged. One minute I'm happy one minute I'm sad, and it's like I feel guilty feeling either emotion.

Resolutions include trying to properly get myself a house and bringing my health back into check which has fallen off in the last couple of months. Started well today with a 10k walk. Let's see what it brings.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:17 pm

I've just rounded off my first year of vegetarianism, so the missus and I will be challenging ourselves with Veganuary this year. We make vegan meals a lot of the time anyway but I am quite a big fiend for cheese, so it could prove to be a tough month. Depending on how it goes though I may make the transition permanent.

Also need to get back into running despite how much I hate doing it in the winter months. Aiming for a 1hr45 half marathon in September and I've still got 15 minutes to shave off so really do need to start ASAP to trim those seconds down gradually over the months.

My only real new years resolution is to stop reading the news and reddit so much. I'm done with it all now, its just a waste of time and raises my blood pressure.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:46 am

Mantis wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:17 pm
I've just rounded off my first year of vegetarianism, so the missus and I will be challenging ourselves with Veganuary this year. We make vegan meals a lot of the time anyway but I am quite a big fiend for cheese, so it could prove to be a tough month. Depending on how it goes though I may make the transition permanent.

Also need to get back into running despite how much I hate doing it in the winter months. Aiming for a 1hr45 half marathon in September and I've still got 15 minutes to shave off so really do need to start ASAP to trim those seconds down gradually over the months.

My only real new years resolution is to stop reading the news and reddit so much. I'm done with it all now, its just a waste of time and raises my blood pressure.
My hope for this year is that we might see news that isn't Brexit, Trump or Covid. Think it's more realistic to hope for that in 2022 unfortunately.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:38 am

Brexit and those darned nasty EU people playing hard ball with us won't leave the news cycle for another year or two easily.

The gammon's have temporarily swapped their outrage to feeling oppressed by a fireworks display, but give it time for the knock on effect of being outside the customs union to start bumping prices up and create more red tape for people and soon the EU will be back in their sights.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:37 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:17 pm
\:D/

Good luck! Its easier than ever now. Cheese is really the only thing thats still ropey but some are fine. Applewood or Violife Mature are probably the only good block ones, Violife Mature being imo best for toasties etc.. and one of the few vegan cheeses I can happily munch unmelted. For cheese sauces nutritional yeast is magic dust! One of my favorite meals is mac and cheese made with cashews, nutritional yeast, almond milk, a little lemon juice and optional but delicious dijon mustard. With a side of seasoned sweet potato wedges and its just the best!

For 2021 resolutions Ive got it in my head I'm going to write a book this year. I have a feeling its going to be rough but Ive had some ideas bouncing around for a long while now and even if its shit I'll feel better knowing I gave it a shot.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:11 pm

Good shout on the Violife slices. I've been using those to make my lunch for a year already just because I was also getting into the habit of cooking lots of dinners with cheese in and wanted to cut down on the dairy a bit.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm gonna get on the weight loss properly too. I'm about 10 kg over my 'healthy' weight atm (102 kg instead of 92). I've never really been 'proud' of my body so it would be nice for that to happen. I'm going to go without desserts/chocolate for a while and move a bit more. I'm unemployed now so I have plenty of time to exercise!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:31 pm

Wow...Silence of the Lambs and Terminator 2 are 30 years old this year... :shock:

Mint

Post by Mint » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:18 pm

Happy NY all.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:52 am

Late, as is my way, but best wishes to the lot of you for the coming year.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:39 pm

It really strikes me sometimes, how long I've known most of you. I joined PW in the Fall of 2003. We're barreling towards twenty years as a little community in a corner of the internet. Blows my mind.

Animal Mother, I'm feeling that comment too! :o

Mantis: Congrats, young man. I've been a vegetarian for 28 years now. Cheese and yogurt are the things that thwart my attempts at veganism but I think I need to give it an honest try. My heart isn't getting any younger, it could use less cholesterol and lipids flying through it. Start a vegan recipe thread, if you find some good ones
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?