D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:18 pm

It would have been a lot more balanced if I'd included in the item description that it took your reaction for the turn to teleport to it or something like that I think. But then it being amusingly overpowered just meant I could throw more dangerous encounters at you. In all, even though you guys made mince meat out of a lot of the enemies, there were still a couple of instances where you were all perilously close to a total wipe out. I think by the end of the campaign I'd got the encounter balance roughly close enough.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:19 pm

Oh for sure, particularly the Briogar and first-stage Renwick encounters I honestly didn't think we'd all make it out alive (and even in the former we only did so by bravely running away!)

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:21 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:08 pm
Korvak did influence you to change your entire fate with trying to unbind Stryrox based off of a dream he had with a mysterious woman he'd never encountered before and nor has he seen since. Just saying. :lol:
:lol:

Was any of that on the level, then? She seemed to know a lot about me and my family, so I assumed it was legit, but I guess that’s precisely how con artists operate. :-k

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:37 pm

Given that the contents and significance of that conversation may yet impact the one shot we suggested we may keep the characters around for, I'm going to answer that according to Korvak's insight check standards.

She seemed pretty on the level.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:38 pm

:lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:51 am

As Korvak would say, well I’m satisfied. :-"

(Genuinely, I don’t think I ever rolled an insight check above 5 across the entire campaign. :lol: )

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:39 am

I have to admit to getting a bit frustrated with my dice at times, particularly towards the end of the campaign. Arctiss had, I think, pretty good stats, and the Awakened Blade of Stryrox that he had for the latter third had a +10 to hit (previously it was +8, same with the longbow and his off-hand sword), and I missed surprisingly often given that 50% of die results would have given me a 20 to hit. It's one of the reasons I was so surprised to actually take Briogar down with that last chance, because by the time he was 300 feet up I was rolling longbow attacks with disadvantage, and I was so used to missing.

I'm interested to know what Murrik's plan was (if he had one) by the point Briogar had gained so much altitude; did I screw anything up when I shot the dragon down?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:35 pm

I'm sure that Bird will have more insight. But from whenever I spoke to him prior to any sessions I got the impression his general disposition was that he didn't really have a plan and always assumed he was about to die, so wanted to go out in the most extravagant way possible.

The downside of being a martial class is that you roll so many more dice than a caster, so naturally you end up with more duds. It provided nice flavour when you accepted that dark pact though so that amusing consequences came from you rolling a one.

Bird

Post by Bird » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Yeah I don't know really, I really didn't want him to escape and was happy to potentially die in a Lockerbie style dead dragon incident.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:06 pm

To celebrate the end of our adventure, thought I'd make a little virtual model of Gronk:
Spoiler
Incredibly, HeroForge didn't have a model for a mountable dachshund, so until they correct this egregious oversight, Gronk will have to make do with this warg. I did at least attempt to paint it the proper colours.

Here he is charging into battle with his favourite magical axe and best friend :D

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:50 pm

I think the adventure would have been slightly different had Waffles been capable of simply biting Renwick in half.