D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Exciting adventures IRL.
Mantis
Landlord

D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:01 pm

I'll post a bit of info up later when I'm back from work. For now, here is the link to join on DnD Beyond when you've got your characters decided on.

https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/20988314092399903

Mantis
Landlord

Re: D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Right, here are the most prescient points to know going in.

It’s a totally homebrew world, though I’ve borrowed many elements from the Forgotten Realms, particularly the pantheon of the gods with the addition of three of my own. The main premise behind the religion is that the dominant church in the hemisphere worships the Triumvirate of Sanek, Xuda and Tirnam following a devastating war in the heavens almost one thousand years ago. If the gods are particularly relevant to your character choice then feel free to pick any from the standard Forgotten Realms list or one of the three above (Sanek is the balance of Evil, Xuda is the balance of Good and Tirnam represents the Neutral).

If there’s anything you would like to introduce as a backstory then I’m down to implement it into the campaign if you wish, I can expand on anything even if it’s fairly bare bones. I'll likely weave something out of it at the very least to justify your presence on the heist.

Alignment wise, don’t feel like you need to make a neutral or evil character or a thief archetype just because it is a heist. Sly has gone for a Lawful Good Paladin and given me enough inspiration from his backstory that I’ve concocted a reason for him being present. The character just needs to be motivated to stick with the group and see out the heist and associated mysteries of the town really.

Races are similarly open to all, though the world setting generally sees Elves as being quite rare due to their persecution in the main empires and subsequent isolation. So anything from DnD Beyond rarer than an Elf and you will be seen as particularly exotic. The last one shot I did was set on the same continent as this one and one of my friends played a Warforged, which was quite entertaining to fit in.

The starting point will be level 5. We'll use a combination of DnD Beyond for character sheets and rolls and Roll20 for maps and movement as we did before, once I've learned how it works!

That’s it really, I can’t see it being greatly different in tone to Wrath’s campaign. I'd advise to have a backup character in mind just in case things go awry. If we stick with the two hour run time per session I can see it lasting somewhere between 8 to 20 sessions.

I can post a small initial setting background lore dump if people want a little further context.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:19 pm

I have a bit of a barebones backstory and motivation for joining the heist for my character so far, I haven't actually chosen a name, but it feels like a fun concept that I'd like to try. I'm going for a multi-class this time around, primarily a Ranger but multi-classed into Warlock for... reasons. I'm not sure if we want to give the basic backstories for our characters at this point, and I have a couple of minor quirks I want to discuss with the DM first, but I think I can weave an element of that war into his motivations. I'll chuck you a PM Mantis.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:25 pm

Anything you don't want to reveal to the group regarding your characters you can just PM me about, sure. Doesn't even need to be anything particularly secretive or sinister, makes it all the more fun when the characters themselves encounter each other for the first time as strangers. I can run with your ideas and meld them to fit in with the canon of the world if you're happy to give me the reins or aren't bothered about preparing anything enormously elaborate.

I had more interactions with Wrath via PM in the last campaign than I care to admit. :lol:

The general premise is that you've found your way to the city with the promise of a potentially lucrative job offer from an unknown figure.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:30 pm

Looking forward to this. It looks like I'd already added myself to the campaign, but over the next couple of days I'll flesh out my backstory and add it to my character sheet on DndBeyond.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:47 pm

Yep, stoked for being a player for a bit. :)

Quick question - any preferences on how we generate the main attributes (rolling, standard array, etc)?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:51 pm

I think rolling 3 separate groups and then just picking whichever group you like best is a decent way of doing it. Should be flexible enough to cover any utterly duff rolls that way.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:53 pm

Yeah, that's basically what I did.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Because you're starting at level 5, you can all modify your starting gold amounts to be 500 + (1d10 x 25). Unless you have a background reason as to why you would like your character to start off poorer.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:51 pm
I think rolling 3 separate groups and then just picking whichever group you like best is a decent way of doing it. Should be flexible enough to cover any utterly duff rolls that way.
Nice one, cheers.

I may in fact have a reason why my character would be poorer, but I'll flesh out some other details first.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:56 pm

Yeah, I think I did the roll-3-sets-and-pick-1 thing when I made that character sheet. I still find it hilarious how absolutely rubbish Charr's stat rolls were; this level 5 character has better stats than level 20 Charr.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 am

Is there anything else that anybody specifically wants out of this campaign or would like to try that we didn't last time round? Any variant rules or things such as that?

The only real change that I'm making from how Wrath ran the last game is that critical hits will be just double damage on your dice as opposed to rolling twice as many dice as I personally find it less confusing keeping track of them that way rather than having to always remember to roll however many extra. I may also enforce concentration checks more often as a mechanic just because we always forgot things like that and a lot of spells and mechanics are balanced around the checks being made, which may be beneficial both ways if an enemy is concentrating on a particularly nasty spell which the party can't seem to save against!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:22 am

I’m just happy to go with the ride. I like the crit rule variant - I have considered using alternative crit options in the past, so it’ll be good to see how that goes. And yeah, I always forget concentration. ;) From a DM perspective, it could be useful if players marked their character token in some way to indicate they’re using a concentration spell.

For my character, would a well-mannered half-orc be too outlandish for the setting? I’m looking at going full-blown illusionist, so he would be able to disguise himself if his orcish heritage is going to raise eyebrows in certain places.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:37 am

Nothing is too outlandish. PM me the details you work out and we'll fit him into the setting easy enough.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:21 pm

One of my other friends has expressed an interest in tentatively joining us too if that's alright with you chaps. Could be quite interesting with a party of 5.