Feel like a Mastermind - it's Wordle!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Feel like a Mastermind - it's Wordle!

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 am

As there seems to be a few of us playing, thought it would be worth starting a thread. Only rule is, no spoilers!

Slightly tricky one today, went against my usual method and spent a couple of turns entering words I knew to be incorrect just to pin down/eliminate a bunch of letters.

Got it turn 4, though.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Feel like a Mastermind - it's Wordle!

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:58 am

Also, as it occupies a similar place in my brain currently, this is worth checking out while you're waiting for the next Wordle:

https://wikitrivia.tomjwatson.com/

Basically, you have to arrange historical events on a timeline. My solo best is a streak of 13, playing with my mum we managed 17.

There's nothing quite like having your run ended by a sequence of three events in the 1400s within a decade of each other -_-

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:51 am

The timeline game looks like a dangerous timesink! Nice idea though.

I only started Wordle off the back of this forum and I'm enjoying it so far. Got 4 in both games I've played. I'm trying to figure out what the optimal starting word would be, as it would ideally cover the most commonly used letters.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:51 am
The timeline game looks like a dangerous timesink! Nice idea though.

I only started Wordle off the back of this forum and I'm enjoying it so far. Got 4 in both games I've played. I'm trying to figure out what the optimal starting word would be, as it would ideally cover the most commonly used letters.
Mine is 'alone', reason being it's got the three most common vowels and a couple of common letters.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:55 pm

Wordle 219 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟨⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛🟨🟩🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That was a toughie, mainly because I keep misinterpreting the colours, which actually helped today by keeping me stuck on 3 and not using up all my turns. I tried the "colourblind" option, but those colours don't work for me either. Keep my 100% streak though! (9/9) :D

As for start words, I tend to use 'avert' most often, 'suave' today.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:04 pm

One thing I read about Wordle, which I don't think is a spoiler, is that literally none of the words in its database is a plural, ie ends with an s. Good to know.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 pm

I stared at this morning's sodding wordle for what must have been nearly an hour (on and off, had my laptop open while working on my desktop), and I could not for the life of me get it. What I didn't realise was that if you make an attempt with two of the same letter in, and that letter is present but not in the right place, it'll only highlight one of those two letters in yellow. I thought that meant that the letter was in the word but only once.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Wordle Gummidge.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:00 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 pm
I stared at this morning's sodding wordle for what must have been nearly an hour (on and off, had my laptop open while working on my desktop), and I could not for the life of me get it. What I didn't realise was that if you make an attempt with two of the same letter in, and that letter is present but not in the right place, it'll only highlight one of those two letters in yellow. I thought that meant that the letter was in the word but only once.
Yeah that threw me today too. Took me all six attempts to get it today because of that oversight.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:41 pm

They should really point that out in that little instructions link on the page. It's catching a lot of people out I think.

It's a bit of an oversight.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:57 pm

It treats repeats as another letter, so they are always possible if not guessed already, and it will judge repeats as separate letters, so if your guess has two 'A's, but the solution has only one, it judges the first and grays the second...keeps the puzzle unnecessarily hinted.

If you fancy doing past Wordles, Devang Thakkar has created an archive that includes all of them:

https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive/

– Abraham Lincoln

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:08 pm

The problem is that if the word is "bless" and you guess "scars", the last S would be marked as green, but the other S would be grey. To me, the second S should be green because it's in the right place, but the first should be yellow because it's still in the word. I don't think that's over-hinting, you've already guessed two letters, they just happen to be the same.

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:11 pm

I agree, that seems very unfair.

– Abraham Lincoln

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:12 am

My first 3 today. :)

Wordle 220 3/6

🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 am

Nice. Got it turn 4, which wasn't bad considering I only had two yellows from my first couple of turns