Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Ukraine

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:54 pm

Latvia is ready to give refuge in the West to Russian soldiers who refuse to use weapons against Ukraine.

This was announced by adviser to the Minister of Internal Affairs of Ukraine Anton Gerashchenko in the Telegram channel.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:55 pm

No shame in being terrified about a nuclear war. Our parents went through the Cuban Missile Crisis, grandparents WW2 and great grandparents WW1 and I'm sure there was something before that. We'll be alright mate.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Thank you my friend, much appreciated.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:15 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:52 pm
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/elon ... 24749.html
Are people just making shit up now? It's turning into a farce at this stage. #-o
The Russians operate the ISS module that controls its position, and allows it to avoid space debris. The thought was that sanctions would prevent the Russian space agency from being able to continue the programme, and thus it would fall out of orbit. I don't know if someone (Putin, presumably) has threatened to purposefully deorbit the thing as a last act, but it'll never happen because the reputation damage (and reprisals) of doing such a thing would vastly outweigh the physical damage they could cause with it.

Musk's Space X is being suggested as a financial contributor should Russia no longer be able to afford it. They could potentially create a new control module for the station too.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:46 am

Animalmother wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:55 pm
No shame in being terrified about a nuclear war.
If it honestly comes down to that, I'll just hope the first one drops on my head. The terror is in knowing it's on the way :-#
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:55 pm

I am 30/70 on a nuclear war, however I was completely wrong when I thought Russia would not invade, so what do I know.

If we do blow each other up, China wins. I bet they were not expecting that!

OK everyone boycott Total petrol.

French energy giant Total refuses to pull out of Russia
BP and Shell have both announced they're withdrawing from Russia, but it seems Total Energies won't be following suit.

The French company said it will no longer provide capital for new projects in the country, but stopped short of divesting its assets.

It said: "TotalEnergies supports the scope and strength of the sanctions put in place by Europe and will implement them regardless of the consequences (currently being assessed) on its activities in Russia.

"TotalEnergies will no longer provide capital for new projects in Russia."

In comes after Total held talks with the French government over its presence in Russia, with finance minister Bruno le Maire insisting it was a "question of principle".

BP has announced it's selling its 20pc stake in Kremlin-controlled Rosneft, while Shell is withdrawing from its joint ventures with Gazprom and cutting its involvement in the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:59 pm

some actual good advice. You know they say ignorance is bliss, in some cases just focusing on something positive helps. I am watching a lot more comedies now. Spend time talking to friends also helps. The world has been here before with the Cuban Missile Crises and the Arch Able exercise of 1983. Unfortunately the world order has changed again this year. It was fun while it lasted 1991 - 2021.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60557186

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:52 pm

As Putin's attack fails to take hold they have now began dropping fucking Thermobaric bombs. This is actually insane.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:58 pm

Lennyquantum wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:52 pm
As Putin's attack fails to take hold they have now began dropping fucking Thermobaric bombs. This is actually insane.
Are these the same as the fuel-air bombs they used to call daisycutters?
Aren't they illegal under international law?
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:06 pm

No, just deeply condemned from what I understand. The US was using them in the second Gulf War.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:36 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:58 pm
Lennyquantum wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:52 pm
Are these the same as the fuel-air bombs they used to call daisycutters?
Aren't they illegal under international law?
They're basically the same as a fuel-air bomb. They ignite the oxygen in the area and create a vacuum which sucks further oxygen in, causing an enormous fireball explosion which can vaporise people and cause a lot of structural damage and fires. They're not really designed for taking out armoured targets but are great at destroying buildings. They're not illegal, Russia used them extensively in Chechnya when they invaded in the 2000s and basically flattened the city.

Putin has egg on his face at how much resistance the Russian forces are meeting and has stooped to his old tactics of indiscriminately bombing civilians.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:44 pm

The invasion likely won't last more than a few more days. The occupation and insurgency may be very drawn out though.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:53 pm

There's a report (unverified as usual) that one of those thermobaric launchers was captured by the Ukrainians. Be one way to take out that giant convoy.

eny

Post by eny » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:26 pm

Interesting account worth a follow, tracking Oligarch's jets:

https://twitter.com/RUOligarchJets
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:06 pm

Mantis wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:44 pm

The invasion likely won't last more than a few more days. The occupation and insurgency may be very drawn out though.
winning hearts and minds of the Ukrianians. Remember they identify as Russians.