Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Solitaire

Re: Ukraine

Post by Solitaire » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:39 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:45 pm
How exactly would they manage that anyway? Seems like a zero chance thing from the start.
It would entail NATO enforcing a no-fly zone, meaning direct combat interventions. So yeah, it wasn't going to happen, at least not yet. I think maybe that Ukraine wants all these things "on the record," so to speak - that they've asked for assistance from various agencies and countries around the world.

I'm not leaving anything off the table here, however. It seems that Putin has gone completely mad, at this point. Next up is Moldova, maybe Georgia. He basically owns Belarus, since their regime is a Putin puppet. As for NATO countries, who knows? If that happens, it's WWIII without question, and the nuclear gloves will come off - especially since his Napoleon-era strategizing isn't working out too well, especially with a mostly ancient motorized army.

What's that they say, that some men just want to watch the world burn? There's no giving him what he wants, there's no appeasing his insane ego.

There is the idea that some Russian general will take one for the team and assassinate Putin, or a mob of them, Caesar-style. Who knows. The Russians are just as brave, and foolhardy, as their Ukrainian brothers, as a rule.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:46 pm

after this performance I think we can safely say Russia cannot afford to start any new wars.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

eny

Post by eny » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:18 am

—god damn these reddit videos...

Anyway, Ukrainian resistance to tyranny isn't anything new, I present to you the 'Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks'
A famous retort to Sultan Mehmed IV of The Ottoman Empires' request for surrender, somewhere around 1625, which was made into a poem by Apollinaire, and then the 8th movement of Shostakovich's 14th symphony.

There is a famous painting depicting the writing of this letter, showing a group of Cossacks having fun trying to come up with more, increasingly profane lines:

Which was recreated by some Ukrainian soldiers (not recently):

Peter Capaldi and Matt Berry did a recital:

Gotta love that Cossack spirit, independence is in their DNA! "The devil shits, and your army eats." :lol:
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

eny

Post by eny » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:26 am

Oh, and it seems that Russian supply will run out some time by the end of the weekend... :?
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:57 am

I've never done this before, not even for myself when I was sleeping in my car a few weeks ago (long story there, for another day and age). Please consider a small donation. I can't save Ukraine, but maybe I can help save the life of my friend and her mother. Please read the gofundme here:

https://gofund.me/f8916b93

edit: I know it's under review, I just created it. I'll repost as soon as they release it for donations. I wish it didn't take days, but what else can I do? I just wish I'd thought of it last week, but she didn't want to leave her village and her grandmother... But the situation has changed greatly, even in her rural area :cry:
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:25 am

PM me once it clears Todd, happy to donate.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:44 am

Good on you Soli

This is fucking nuts to watch..
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-tea ... k-12557585

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:41 pm

That may be one of the most terrifying things I've ever watched. I know war journalism is important, but bloody hell, why would you do that to yourself?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:02 pm

It feels like we have yet to reach the peak escalation point of this conflict.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:20 pm

Mantis wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:02 pm
It feels like we have yet to reach the peak escalation point of this conflict.
I suppose that's partly down to what you mean by 'this conflict'. I think 'this conflict' won't finish for a long time. Permanent insurrection if Russia 'win'.

The only thing I could really see changing things and causing an uprising in Russia (again, I know very little about this) would be someone taking one for the global team and shooting Putin in the back of the head.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:23 pm

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Putin will simply run out of money. He cannot access most of his $650B warchest, China will renogotiate a lower price for its Russian gas and oil, the Russian stock market cannot even open (because it will wipe out the value of all Russian stocks) and the war is costing as much as $20B a day.

https://www.consultancy.eu/news/7433/re ... on-per-day

Iraq cost the US $2T

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-taxp ... ?r=US&IR=T

Even if the Russian army costs a fraction to run, lets assume Putin can access the full $650B

$650 / 15 (conservative estimate) = 43 days.

Afganistan bankcrupted the Soviet Union and Putin only has enough money to conduct this war for a month - than the money runs out. I suppose he can always print more but that will devistate the Rouble and the Russian economy.

This is a god send for Nato and the US. Putin is single handely destroying his own army in a war just next door with the people who are the closest associated with their Russian cousins. I bet the Chinese are shaking their heads in utter disbelief. All Russia has are those nuclear weapons, if this is the best they have got.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:08 pm

I saw something interesting on Twitter this morning which was about an old study by Lehman Brothers economists (I know), on armed forces occupancy required for successful invasions.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:06 pm

It's not even just the troop to population ratio, it's the quality of those troops that's important (by which I mean their training, their supply lines and their motivation to fight insurgency). If the ratio is somewhere between Afghanistan and Iraq levels, look at how disastrous those occupations were for the best-funded military in the world. Russia's troops are poorly trained, have a crippled economy and are heavily demoralised. They don't have a hope in hell of occupying Ukraine for long.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:23 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:06 pm
It's not even just the troop to population ratio, it's the quality of those troops that's important (by which I mean their training, their supply lines and their motivation to fight insurgency). If the ratio is somewhere between Afghanistan and Iraq levels, look at how disastrous those occupations were for the best-funded military in the world. Russia's troops are poorly trained, have a crippled economy and are heavily demoralised. They don't have a hope in hell of occupying Ukraine for long.
Which begs the question - What does Putin think that he knows that trumps that?!