Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: Ukraine

Post by Raid » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:34 pm

I can't shake the thought that he's purposefully destroying significant parts of the country just to make it an unsuitable addition to NATO. Depleting their armed forces, destroying the cities, wrecking the economy (just think how much it's going to cost to repair all of the damage being done); it's as if he's reducing Ukraine back to the state it was in after it left the Soviet Union.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:39 pm

Raid wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:34 pm
I can't shake the thought that he's purposefully destroying significant parts of the country just to make it an unsuitable addition to NATO. Depleting their armed forces, destroying the cities, wrecking the economy (just think how much it's going to cost to repair all of the damage being done); it's as if he's reducing Ukraine back to the state it was in after it left the Soviet Union.
The problem I have with that argument is for that to be sustainable, he needs people to fall into his position when he's gone (and there were rumours he was ill anyway). But they will never have his reputation/standing, so it's doomed to fail? Is there anybody who can step in?! Granted he's only 69 but still, no spring chicken...

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:48 pm

I think he has lukemia - which explains the urgency on his part. No matter how you break this down he is going to remembered in the history books for fucking it all up for the Russians. 20 years work undone in weeks.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:51 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:48 pm
I think he has lukemia - which explains the urgency on his part. No matter how you break this down he is going to remembered in the history books for fucking it all up for the Russians. 20 years work undone in weeks.
It's 20 years work, undone in weeks that (if/when he goes) is reversed in less than a year presumably. Like I say, Ukraine is a permanent insurrection and the Russian public now know it. That isn't sustainble in Ukraine or surely in Russia.

Utter madness.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:41 pm

Unfortunately right now the Russians are not getting the news and a lot are brainwashed

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:48 pm

I assume they'll be in there for some time. I'm starting to think the official music of the Russian military must be the theme to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:50 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:41 pm
Unfortunately right now the Russians are not getting the news and a lot are brainwashed
In this age though that's a matter of time surely.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:54 pm

If putin keeps up this tough talk about "not only will Ukraine but the whole world" regret this or that (paraphrasing the latest spouting off he's done) I think he might end up with a cruise missile or three on his head - if he ever comes out of his bunker, that is.

I worry that he's created such a chummy relationship with China over the years that they might help militarily. This would be a complete catastrophe for the planet, because not only would they be more than happy to spread their Communism beyond their borders, they have the sheer numbers available to do exactly what we're presently talking about: occupying a country. Or two.

My main worry still stands, though. We are closer to nuclear annihilation than we ever were in my entire lifetime. I've had a few good decades, I suppose, can't ask for any more than that, and I'm an atheist since childhood, so once I'm gone, I know it's the forever, dreamless sleep of nonexistence.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:56 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:54 pm
If putin keeps up this tough talk about "not only will Ukraine but the whole world" regret this or that (paraphrasing the latest spouting off he's done) I think he might end up with a cruise missile or three on his head - if he ever comes out of his bunker, that is.

I worry that he's created such a chummy relationship with China over the years that they might help militarily. This would be a complete catastrophe for the planet, because not only would they be more than happy to spread their Communism beyond their borders, they have the sheer numbers available to do exactly what we're presently talking about: occupying a country. Or two.

My main worry still stands, though. We are closer to nuclear annihilation than we ever were in my entire lifetime. I've had a few good decades, I suppose, can't ask for any more than that, and I'm an atheist since childhood, so once I'm gone, I know it's the forever, dreamless sleep of nonexistence.
?

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:57 pm

I don’t think China will join them nor do I think China wants any kind of conflict with the west or they’d have rolled on Taiwan long ago. Reason being the sheer barrels of western cash that keeps rolling into their coffers. All they need to do is sit tight and they’ll continue to amass more and more so at present it would be daft to burn that financial pipe.

- Alan (International sociopolitical analyst and financial futurist extraordinaire)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:19 am

For those who may not be alive back in 83, we have been here before. We are still far from having a nuclear war. NATO does not want to escalate and I doubt the Russians can occupy west Ukraine.

Don't panic. There is a lot of backstair negotiation that we are not privy to. Putin has made a serious miscalculation and he needs to look like he comes out if the war with some sort of gain.

I am not saying an escalation could not happen but NATO so far are playing it very cool and I do give Biden credit that he has not ratched up the retoric.

As the Russian army becomes more and more demoralised, they will take internal matters on their own hands. The fact that MasterCard, Visa and PayPal have all stopped transactions means Russians will get desperate as a cash economy will be a run on the bank.

The Chinese do not want get blown up because of Ukraine. They are watching to see how things develop

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:41 am

Yeah, despite my existential-dread navel-gazing, I don't expect this to escalate to all-out world war. Things are quite dire, however, for the people of Ukraine, even if this never spills over anywhere else. Putin is not going to just turn every tank 'round 180 and bring them all back home. Or maybe the sanctions - which for the first time in my life, that I can recall, seem to be having the proper effects - will end this sooner than later.

Ukrainians will not stand to be occupied; this is my bottom line stance on this horrible topic. He's going to flatten every city, is what I'm afraid of most
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:02 am

Interesting insights on the situation from a former MI6 chief.

As he says, Putin needs an out, and the west needs to give him that opportunity when it comes to avoid something much worse. But how do you save face when you’ve made a monumentally embarrassing error that’s been globally condemned? I guess he could invent some new strawman objectives that he’s ‘achieved’ before retreating - e.g. he’s shown NATO he’s reckless enough to do far worse should they dare to encroach upon his borders again.

Oh, and Microsoft have cut all future products and services in Russia now. I wonder if that means things like Office 365 won’t be available, or will it go as far as deactivating Windows licences in Russia after a certain point?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:52 am

I'd never considered that possibility, but does having a working licence really matter for Windows? Doesn't it basically just display a message saying it's unregistered, but then work anyway?

It does make you wonder though; how much damage could the West do by cutting Russia off from certain tech products?

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:57 am

Maybe this is racist but I just assumed 99% of software was pirated in Russia anyway. :-k
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.