Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Ukraine

Post by Animalmother » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:46 am

Reading on how that incompetence occurred would be laughable if the situation wasn't so tragic. Most of the troops in Belarus assumed they were on a training exercise so sold excess fuel to the locals for food and alcohol, they then ran out of fuel once the invasion started. Multimillion dollar vehicles broke down within days as they'd had zero maintenance done while in storage. The Russian military are constantly kept in a state of organized chaos to prevent competent officers gaining too much influence so becoming a threat. The billions allocated to modernize the military can be seen in villas, super yachts and foreign bank accounts. The soldiers doing the actual fighting have little to no medical training or backup resulting in massive casualties. Russian conscripts are the lowest of the low in a brutal hierarchy so there is very little regard to their wellbeing or survival.

Christ, after 4 weeks of watching this clusterfuck unfold we're all suddenly military experts :lol: :? :cry:

eny

Post by eny » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:02 pm

Putin has done a lot of this before, and it was "ignored". The "counter-terrorism operation" in Chechnya where he had housing blocks demolished by "terrorist" attacks, then literally flattened Grozny, and walked away from that with a pet psychopath military group led by Kadyrov, who are now getting demolished in Ukraine.

There is growing doubt in Putin's ability to singly start a nuclear strike, and sooner or later the money will talk and he will be sealed in his bunker alone...if not silenced by other means. It is interesting to see that the Ruble is no longer valueless though...make of that what you will.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:51 pm

the lack of any public statement from Putin is not a good sign. The man is becoming paranoid. His Defence chief has gone missing.

I fear Putin is ready is push the button before he accepts a coup. The big question is will other the rest of the chain command go through with a first unprovoked strike?

You know whats a bit scary is that we going through the same plot points of Threads, almost beat by beat. From the time the Russians attacked Iran to the time nuclear war broke out = 3 months.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

eny

Post by eny » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:55 pm

The Ruskies couldn't help but boast about unloading a ship in Berdyansk:

Ukrainian UAV sez no!:

Sunk!

– Abraham Lincoln

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:52 pm

NATO to send an extra 40,000 troops to the Eastern border.

fuck - this is going down
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:18 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:52 pm
NATO to send an extra 40,000 troops to the Eastern border.

fuck - this is going down
It's an odd move, but I don't see that it's a signal of worse things to come. Putin's well aware that any encroachment into a NATO nation would trigger a war between Russian and NATO, which presumably he'd rather avoid, so moving troops to the border isn't going to change anything in that regard. What it could do is force Putin to be much more careful about attacks 'accidentally' spilling into neighbouring countries, as he won't want to risk killing NATO troops.

It could just be a willy-waving show of force, because what else are NATO going to use 40,000 troops for in this conflict?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:22 pm

It may not be an indication of things to come, but I do think Putin will see it as an escalation.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:25 pm

I understand it’s because of the chemical threat since chemical weapons could blow into NATO territory. 40000 NATO troops are probably going to be worth a lot more in equivalent Russian force too.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 pm

I wish I had good news for an update on Irina, but sadly I have no news whatsoever. She did receive the money that we all donated, and she was very grateful to all of you. Her plan was that her mother and her would make the journey west towards the Polish border. Since last week Thursday, my Whatsapp messages have sat on the server - no messages being delivered to her phone. There's just no telling what has happened thus far, and it's pointless for me to conjecture. I can only hope that she and her mom are okay, and that I'll hear from her eventually.

The flattening of Mariupol has just about turned my heart to stone. It's had the equivalent of a nuke dropped on it, in terms of sheer destruction. Part of me can't believe this is happening, though at the same time I'm not surprised at all. And now North Korea has an ICBM capable of reaching 95% of the world population. Despots are marching us right into oblivion, it feels.

If/when things ever normalize in Ukraine, I feel strongly that I must go over and help, somehow. I'm going to be saving whatever money I can for the time being, and if it comes that I can travel over one day in the future, I will look into ways that I can help rebuild. I had looked at moving there, years ago, as I've mentioned before. Now it feels like a necessary move.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

eny

Post by eny » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:14 pm

Hope we hear she is safe soon Todd, it is a desperate situation out there. I had an incredible dream last night, I was in Ukraine laughing and joking with a group of guys out in the sticks fighting, and it was involved enough I got to feel the level of character that they have and live from, a mix of poor and rural but rock stoic, and the willingness to die defending their soil: tangible even in a dream. Their cossack DNA is really a force not to be reckoned with, and I am certain they will prevail.

One thing about being a dictator, you cannot afford to have a strong military that might turn against you...:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-t ... ng-another

– Abraham Lincoln

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:44 pm

"Worse than Chechnya!"... Jesus that really is saying something :shock: I feel genuine sympathy for the Russian soldiers but then again they're allowing this to happen so fuck them. Run a few more officers over maybe and go home or just give up.

eny

Post by eny » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:43 pm

Credible reports that Russia will resort to chemical attacks soon.

"There is information that the Russian military vaccinated with Pralidoxime - an antidote to organophosphorus compounds. They were also given ampoules of Atropine, which is used as an antidote for chemical poisoning."

https://news-liga-net.translate.goog/po ... _tr_pto=sc

I have experience with OP's through sheep dipping. They are exceptionally dangerous chemicals. When they introduced mandatory licencing in the late '90s, I took the course as part of my job, did that year's dipping and told my boss I will never handle those chemicals ever again...a couple of years later OP dips were banned completely until better measures were available for handling the concentrate. Any exposure to OP gets locked into body fat which masks its danger until later in life. Novichok is a derivative of OP chemicals, not good at all.

– Abraham Lincoln

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:23 pm

I've noticed a few instances of Ukrainian soldiers in news reports having far right/Nazi emblems on their uniforms. It's a shame, as it easily serves as propaganda for the Russians. A recent example of this is in a BBC news report from Kharkiv by Quentin Sommerville. His reports are excellent, and he is in a very dangerous place and puts his life on the line for journalism.

If you go to the timestamped (4:10) part of the report, you can see one of the soldiers literally has a Nazi SS death's head on his arm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_SS_Pa ... _Totenkopf

I don't know if this is one of the Azov lot or not. There is someone else with something Nordic/Runic later in the video, dunno if that is also a far-right thing (often is)

eny

Post by eny » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:00 pm

It isn't as nearly as sinister or organised as you might think. It is no worse than symbolism used by certain metal fans for example. I see a lot of similar nordic, Thor hammer, Vegvisir, Yggdrasil, skull imagery in the bushcrafting/prepper community too, right-leaning maybe, rather than full-on nazi stuff. Every European country has this kind of element to its military — sort it out once the war is over, but every soul protecting the country is needed.

– Abraham Lincoln

eny

Post by eny » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:42 pm

The commander of the 13th Tank Regiment of the 4th Tank Division of russia has shot himself dead!

Apparently getting machinery out of storage he found that they had been disabled because their electronics had been stripped out for the precious metals, engines removed, all of that! Arf!

Banditry be damned! Cheeki breeki! :lol:

– Abraham Lincoln