Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Solitaire

Re: Ukraine

Post by Solitaire » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:28 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Moldova next maybe?
Yes, that's my guess. Problem is getting a sizable force into what would be, if he had the resources, a three-day steamrolling of the entire country, not just that little separatist-controlled strip. I'm imagining putin, who's not very good at this, after all, pushing all his chips and calling in this bluff on the Western world. I don't believe it's just rhetoric, when I read from various sources that we are quite close to a nuclear confrontation - what bigger name in history could a man give himself, than the man who ended the modern world?

I hope someone's watching his children, and extended family, and whatever friends he may have left on the planet. If they all start heading to the southern hemisphere, where fallout is less likely to be deadly, then we will know exactly what's coming.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:06 pm

at this rate I would be surprised if a Russian tank can even reach Kyiv
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

eny

Post by eny » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:12 pm

I have a sinking feeling he will nuke Kiev. It would give him everything he is looking for. The madman is itching for it. He's off the fucking rails.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:52 pm

the rhetoric from Moscow on using nukes is really ratching up. Makes me wonder if they are actually serious in using a nuke.

It would not surprise me if they decide to hit London and see what happens next.... :-s

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun May 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri May 06, 2022 3:30 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 72761.html
Its almost getting embarrassing at this stage (not seen it confirmed by many other sources yet).

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun May 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Hi all. No real news about Irina, unfortunately. The messages I'd sent were eventually read, by someone, about four weeks later. The next two that I've sent, in the last two weeks or so, have not been delivered. I could speculate all sorts of stuff, good and bad, about this, but it's a Schrodinger's Cat sort of conundrum. I thank you guys again for the assistance, I'm sure it helped her at the time, but her fate may never be known :cry:

In other news, about another young Ukrainian lady I know, based out of Kharkov, well let me start from the beginning: in the Fall of 2018 I met a gorgeous girl named Daria, who was in San Jose, Bay Area (San Francisco/Silicon Valley) for work training. Really interesting stuff, to do with the German company she worked for at the time. I heard her speaking Ukrainian into her phone, while sitting near her at a bar, and started up a conversation. Ukrainian and Russian languages are quite different - it's like English and German languages, all these completely foreign words in a sentence, with one word that pops out occasionally, "oh, hey, I know what that word means." My understanding of Russian was just enough to showcase my ignorance of her native language. Of course, she speaks Russian, as well as German and English... Anyway, long story short, we got to spend a couple afternoons together and really hit it off, ended up corresponding for a couple months. Things didn't work out for us, and I'm sad to say that because she was truly one-of-a-kind.

I just heard from Daria this morning, after sending her an email asking how she's doing, is she safe, etc. In the last two months she's ferried some pregnant Ukrainian girls from Kharkov - under fire at one point - to Germany. She has recently returned to Kharkov, however, because her brother was killed in the fighting, so she's gone back to be with her mother. I'm not sure what their plan is now, I've asked her in a reply email so we'll just have to see.

How odd the threads of this existence are, weaving through geography, space, time, minds, and hearts.

Miss you, Daria, and I hope you'll stay safe

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon May 09, 2022 6:30 am

Things like this do bring what can sometimes feel like a news horror to life.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

eny

Post by eny » Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm

'Maxim' is Ukraine's latest hero: he anticipated where the Rashists might be wanting to cross the Donets river, and they have basically annihilated the whole battalion and its pontoon!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062

– Abraham Lincoln

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri May 13, 2022 2:32 pm

Up to a 1000 Russian dead? That's nothing short of WW2 levels of slaughter, how do they convince people to march into that hell?

The results of the battle look like a screenshot from Company of Heroes...

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... m-mariupol

Heartwarming and heartbreaking all at once.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:19 pm

bad day at work

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:07 am

I'm feeling like this entire thing is tiptoeing towards WWIII. I don't know what all countries will be involved or pulled in. I've stopped putting too much thought into it all, it's simply too depressing, and my opinion on any of it doesn't matter one bit; things will play out in whatever shitty way they will. Still no word from either of my female friends, Irina and Daria. Their country is being bombed into oblivion, with people and treasures and ancient things all obliterated with indiscriminate and very deliberate shelling. All of this, a proxy war being fought by the brave Ukrainian people. It's infuriating, maddening, heartbreaking. We are a race of sentient beings that could be so much more - we could be, but never will be.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm

Fuck it, why not. The world feels like it's hanging on by it's finger tips at the moment anyway.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:39 pm

Amnesty International is the latest agency infected by the pro-russian mind-op:

– Abraham Lincoln